Jack White
Blunderbuss

by derho USER (31 Reviews)
December 9th, 2012 | 13 replies | 986 views

Rock & Roll revivalist, guitar god, hipster idol, semi-pop star…however you frame it, Jack White has been one the defining figures of the past decade in music, probably because he just seems to get along with everyone. His music is tough but infectious. His cool is unattainable, but he never wants to leave anyone out. Though he’s been involved in three prominent bands (one more prominent than others), taken part in several collaborations, and produced dozens of records, everything Jack White touches feels like Jack White. He seems a veritable popcorn machine of musical ideas and ingenuity.

This all sounds great, but it really leaves our hero in a tough spot when it comes to pursuing a solo career. After all, to most people, the White Stripes might as well be called the Jack White Project. With his first foray into the world of the singer-songwriter, White has, against all odds, managed not only to create something fresh but to produce some of his best work yet. “Blunderbuss” is a ballet of geometric toy-piano figures, sometimes-manic rhythms, and strikingly simple melodies that fails to leave us wanting.

From the grey-scale self-portrait album cover to the sweet acoustics of the title track, this is a record more personal than anything he’s ever put out. No matter how well we think we know him, there are more than a few things left to learn. Imagery of exhaustion and sleep are scattered here and there, and softer spots seem to hint at White’s increased understanding that slowing down is important for reasons beyond toying with his audience’s emotions. That’s not to say he’s forgotten how to tear it up. “Sixteen Saltines” hits you like a baseball bat gone projectile and barely gives you enough time to take a breath between monstrous power-chord slashes. Songs like “Hypocritical Kiss” show he’s still got some of that trademark spite.

The bare-bones garage pop aesthetic remains, but moments here cross the threshold into epic. Has Jack White been appreciating old school prog-rock? Glistening keys on tracks like “Weep Themselves to Sleep” seem to blast through the imaginary walls of the chambers that bind them and emanate on to forever. The album closer “Take Me With You When You Go” feels like Zeppelin stripped of glam (this is a complement). Arrangements are sharp, almost pointillist, stressing the importance of the cool, empty space between jabbing, synchronous notes. Should I mention that the guitar work is unsurprisingly stellar?

Be warned: this is a slow grower, but give it time and you may start to feel that the White Stripes were just a very entertaining stepping stone. The Grammy Awards may be sickeningly narrow in their field of vision, but if Jack White walks away a winner this year, I can’t say I’ll be unsatisfied.

8/10

Talking Heads Remain in LightYouth Lagoon Wondrous Bughouse
The Men New MoonParquet Courts Light Up Gold
Foxygen We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors...The Pop Group Y
GiantMan (4.5)
An impressive, mature debut from music mogul Jack White...

Fugue (3.5)
On his debut solo album we find Jack White searching for a purpose....

Alex Beebe (3.5)
Of course it can't touch The White Stripes, but this is amazing because it shows just how strong of ...

Rudy K. STAFF (4)
Jack White opens up, rifle in hand....

Lazaretto
trending alt & indie albums

Lowborn

To Be Kind

St. Vincent

Reflektor

TheCount
December 9th 2012

I think you mean "...and strikingly simple melodies that fails to leave us wanting." Otherwise, great review. I listened to this once back when it first came out and I can't say it really latched on.

December 9th 2012

thanks man! Not sure why I went with an o instead of an a hahah.

Irving
December 9th 2012

SHE'S GOT FREEEEDOM IN THE TWENNY FIRST CENTUREH!!

*riffs*

Funeralopolis
December 9th 2012

Still haven't gotten around to listening this although I feel I would probably enjoy it.

Digging: Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke

Funeralopolis
December 9th 2012

omg this rules, right up my alley.

demigod!
December 9th 2012

heard it a couple times, it was decent. should give it another shot

Digging: Black Flag - My War

I thought it was a sure 3.0 my first run through but then it invaded my brain

newjunkaesthetic93
December 9th 2012

Love this album, the last five tracks kinda drag on though.

klap

nice review

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

Vespiion
December 9th 2012

Good review. I've yet to hear this. I may invest in that this afternoon.

Digging: The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past

BigPleb
December 10th 2012

Never really checked this dude or the White Stripes for that matter.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

omnipanzer

Only one gripe:
"he just seems to get along with everyone."
Except he's known for being a short tempered hot head willing to throw down at the drop of a hat.

Other than that POS, I like this album a lot as well.

Digging: Grant Lee Buffalo - Fuzzy

December 10th 2012

I sort of meant more in a musical sense but yeah I know what you mean. I guess I would have read it that way too. Thanks!