Apart
Gray Light

by johnny of the Well USER (38 Reviews)
December 9th, 2012 | 14 replies | 2,665 views

Review Summary: Nothing’s perfect, but we can still have fun

I have to say that I was slightly taken aback by Apart’s debut album; I streamed it online, not really expecting anything special, and instantly fell in love with the simple charm of what it is; straightforward, passion-fuelled, screamo. That’s about it – there are no pretensions, and nothing particularly complicated about it, it’s just the band playing their hearts out and having fun, and for this reason the listener can’t help but enjoy it.

Instrumentally, the album is solid whilst not being too advanced; driving chords are contrasted with excellent clean breaks, ensuring that the album is not one-dimensional, and the vocals – although they start to get slightly monotonous by the end of the album – are more than passionate and energetic enough to keep the album intense and engaging.

The main problem with Grey Light is variety, or lack of; there is very little to distinguish one song from another, and although this makes the album cohesive and consistent, it holds it back from achieving its full potential. Even worse is the fact that the first two tracks – Carolina Cold and Two Lane Blacktop – are the best songs on the album, so that listener is left with the impression that all the other songs are slightly inferior copies after hearing the opening combo (with the exception of closer Dead Air, which stands out because it includes the most franticly intense moment of the album at the start, and because of its saxophone outro). Whether or not this feeling is justified, listening to the first two tracks on repeat is often a lot easier than listening to the whole album. On the bright side, it is barely over twenty minutes long, so the lack of variety doesn’t drag it down too badly, but it is still very obvious.

Although this has a few obvious flaws, it remains a fun listen and a firm foundation that Apart can build upon. Recommended to anyone who likes harsh vocals, since it is rather accessible.

Pros
Energetic and fun
The clean breaks are very effective
Accessible

Cons
Needs more diversity
Vocals become monotonous
Track order is awkward, due to the best two being at the start

Top 5

Porcupine Tree FutileLocktender Kafka
Kayo Dot Dowsing Anemone With Copper TongueBend the Sky Observatory
Where Mountains Meet Journey WellBullet for My Valentine Temper Temper

December 9th 2012

Thought this needed a review
I kept it short and sweet, just like the album

Digging: Naked City - Radio

December 9th 2012

If you haven't heard it...

foxblood

album's cool, prefer Only Revolutions though

VheissuCrisis
December 9th 2012

What you've written is good, but why the pros and cons section? Your review would have been very solid if you'd actually fleshed those points out in review format. Didn't vote.

December 9th 2012

I mention all the pros and cons in the review, but I always have a section for them at the end for people that can't be arsed to read the whole thing

IdiotequeCigar
December 9th 2012

Yeah dude, wtf; he mentions all the pros and cons in the review
The review itself was shit tho, so no pos

Shameless bump

SgtPepper
December 9th 2012

I agree that you really should have incorporated the pros/cons opinions into the actual review, but overall not bad. It's a little short but you give a good summary of what this album is about, and I thought you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I didnt really feel this album, but it was entertaining so a 3 sounds pretty good.

Good review, Johnny. Have a POS though on the review.

dmikeal
December 9th 2012

I liked the album. I think that the best song though, by far is play on, soft pipes. The end of that track is killer, especially when the violins kick in.

eternium

Liked the album = 5?

December 10th 2012

gd rev bro Pos'd

Digging: Tukaaria - Raw to the Rapine

December 10th 2012

Thanks bru

December 22nd 2012

Can someone tell me what the FUCK is happening to the database

February 11th 2013

Yay, just noticed this is fixed