The Strokes
Room on Fire

by USER (5 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 49 replies

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

This is their follow up album after Is This It? These 5 friends decided to form a rock and roll band 1998 and released their first massive album in 2001. Room on fire was released 2 years later. Together with producer Gordon Raphael they single-handedly revitalized the genre.

1) What Ever Happened ?
First song on this album. It starts with an intro of one note and then kicks in with Vocals and second guitar. After one minute theres a killer solo. This is a very good song.. one of my favourite, What a great way to start of an album 9.5/10

2) Reptilia
One of the singles of this album. Starts of with an intro of one note again and then kicks in with a great little guitar riff. The lyrics in this song are great and have some nice little metaphores in there. The solo on 1.50 is very very fast and vert very good. This song is a bit different from the other strokes songs but that doesnt mean its not great. Does get old after some time. 9/10

3) Automatic Stop
Starts of with a real little intro wich works great for me. The bassguitar is loud in this song but that works great for me too :) A very very catchy chorus. I catch myself singing it without me even knowing. This proves that the strokes can even be funny 'So Many Fish Here In The Sea, She Wanted Him, He Wanted Me' Nice song, one of my favourites. 10/10

4) 12:51
This has also been a single. Starts of with a 'long' intro. The guitar has some effect on it and it works brilliantly. This song has some kind of clap in the background wich also sounds great :) Its not the best song of the album but still its great 9/10

5) You Talk Way Too Much
A nice song but nothing really special. I didnt like it that much cause it had no real oustanding aspects. Still a good song but not as good as the rest although the chorus is kinda catchy at times. 7.5/10

6) Between Love & Hate
Starts of with drums only. The drums sound really complex but i wouldnt know ( not being a drummer and all ) The verses aren't really outstanding but their ok. The pre-chorus and chorus are as usual really catchy. At 1.20 it has a solo that i think is awsome!! If it just had a better verse :rolleyes: nice song, not the best but still, nice song 8.5/10

7) Meet Me In The Bathroom
Starts of with a cool little guitar riff. The chorus and verse are not so very different and the solo after 50 seconds also isnt outstanding at all. This is one of the songs that i usually skip when i'm listening to this cd. Not bad but defenitly not great 8/10

8) Under Control
An incredeble song with very nice little lyrics. Its quite easy going and it's very strokes like ( thats a great compliment ) the drums leading into the 2nd verse are great. This solo is slower then the rest of them but i really like it. It fits into the song perfectly. Brilliant song 10/10

9) The Way It Is
This song is my least favorite of the whole album. The drums are very loud and not really that great. The verses are just plain anoying but the chorus makes up for that a little. This song isn't very great. 7/10

10) The End Has No End
Starts of with a little guitar intro and leads into a verse where the guitars are muted and the vocals jump out. The lyrics are great in this song and they are very nicely sung. After 30 seconds the second guitar that was gently playing along with the vocals before now starts sounding a bit like the guitars in 12:51 with a heavy effect on it. This leads into the chorus thats also really great. At 1.20 a very nice solo comes in and leads into the chorus again but now louder. The rest of the song is just a little like the rest of the song. This is defenitly one of my favourites 10/10

11) I Cant Win
This song has a fast verse and a little slower chorus. The chorus is very nice. This song is more like the other songs on this album. It's pretty good but not one of my favourites although it has a very good solo around 1.30. Nice song 9/10

Overal Opinion: 9.5/10 :thumb:
I love this album and even though its not very long and some songs arent as brilliant as others this is still the best album i've ever heard. The songs i rated a 7 or 8 are still very very nice. If your into bands like The White Stripes or the Yeah Yeah Yeahs & other garage/indi bands you have to hear this album. I liked this one a little better then Is This It? for some reason :) i'd defenitly listen to this album. I recommend it to EVERYBODY that likes the Indie/Garage genre.

Kiet Truong (3)
Is This It? 0.5...

Senor_Whippy (3)

Rudd13 (4.5)

moderaterock222

The NPC
May 3rd 2004

[QUOTE=moderaterock222]I like the review but i dont agree with it. I think its a carbon copy of their debut but without that spark that made the debut so good in the first place...i think its fairly average and id give it a 6/10[/QUOTE]

Like I've said before both albums shoud have been a double album, but that may hae been a little pretentious to do for the first LP. However I seem to like this album a bit more than the first because it sounds fuller than Is This It?.

Wait wasn't this already reviewed?

pixiesfanyo
May 3rd 2004

Yeah I like this a bit more than This Is It?

..i'd give it a 7.5/10 though 10/10 is insane

[QUOTE=lilsolsman]
9.5/10
7.5/10
8.5/10
8/10
7/10

Overal Opinion: 10/10 [/QUOTE]

That doesn't add up. At all.

10/10? This **** is worse than pop-punk. At least the first album 1. was a tad original and 2. Had 'Last Nite' on it.

1/5

pixiesfanyo
May 4th 2004

If you don't like the album you really don't have to say anything..not just say..THIS SHIT IS worse THAN Blink-182

el doctor
May 4th 2004

I agree. If this is the first Strokes album you're hearing, then chance are you'll really like it. I however found it to be a bit of a rehash. Still good, but overall I was rather indifferent to it.

Crocto
May 5th 2004

the strokes and the rest of garage rock are so stripped of all things rock that its too boring to listen to. but on the whole its about 45% better than the rest of the main stream rock its competing with so i'll say 4/10.

May 5th 2004

[QUOTE=pixiesfanyo]I find it funny that ManuscriptReplica listed their hit song as his favorite..even though it was probably the weakest track on the cd.. [/QUOTE]

I didnt even know it was a hit, I saw a live version of it on channel v once. The vocals were clean, and the guitars weren't overloaded with distortion. it was half-decent.

RIPJoeStrummer
May 5th 2004

I liked this album form what I've hear, Reptilia is my favourite song, I think it brilliant. 4/5

loose cannon
May 5th 2004

The Strokes are going to be around for a long long time. We have only heard the tip of the iceberg.

wheelz
May 6th 2004

i really hate the strokes... but there are a couple songs on this album that i liked.

i'd agree that it's better than their first. but there were only a couple songs on either album that i didn't mind.

hicitronella
May 7th 2004

(indie/garage rock) Indie is short for independent. Is RCA an independent record label?

May 7th 2004

Indie also happens to be a genre.

Hey Mr. Light Man
May 8th 2004

This is a decent album.

I'd say 6/10, 3/5, whatever.

Phunphone
May 8th 2004

In this cd, they start to become more repetititive; which makes the songs a bit bland. But, in general, not a bad album and contains the best song they've ever written: Reptilia. Other than that, I really liked "Automatic Stop", "The End Has No End" and "The Way It Is". Powerful tracks. My rating is: 7/10.

hicitronella
May 11th 2004

[QUOTE=manuscriptreplica]Indie also happens to be a genre.[/QUOTE]
hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!No its not.

El Gran Orgo
May 11th 2004

First album was much better, much more innovative. This is kinda the same sort of thing just not quite as good. Still a great album if you like the strokes and good to listen to when feeling mellow.

Hey Mr. Light Man
May 21st 2004

clown_phobia
May 22nd 2004

i like reptilla

4StringFieldy
May 23rd 2004

[QUOTE=ramonesrule]okay, I've decided this album is totally amazing. I listen to it almost every day. Unlike I used to think, it's a 5/5.[/QUOTE]

^
Im with this guy. This album rules, very original indeed. Good bass lines too for me to play (I can play the whole album :thumb: ).

Not as good as Is This It, but its still a brilliant album.

10/10. :thumb: