Geto Boys
The Geto Boys

by thecreative0ne USER (50 Reviews)
December 6th, 2012 | 15 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Classic.

Critical Responses:
Allmusic: 4/5
Entertainment Weekly: B-
Robert Christagu: B-
The Source: 3.5 Mics

One of the most controversial hip hop albums of all time. Utilizing the first parental warning sticker (Correct me if I'm wrong) for any album, saying this "Def American Recordings is opposed to censorship. Our manufacturer and distributor, however, do not condone or endorse the content of this recording, which they find violent, sexist, racist, and indecent." basically saying, that this album is the first hip hop that is horrorcore. Since it was so offensive, the album's distributor, "Geffen Records", and their CD manufacturer, "Sony DADC" refused to take any part in it. However, the flack that they caught from critics, definitely does not take away from their talent. As a matter of fact, the Geto Boys were very insightful. Also, keep in mind that this is a remake (a much better one) of their album, "Grip It! On That Other Level". Now for the track by track review.

1. *** Em: The very first song, and basically them calling out the kind of people that they don't like. Classic song. 5/5

2. Size Ain't ***: This next song, is a Buschwick Bill solo, and has him rhyming about, although he may be small, he still is awesome. Classic song. 5/5

3. Mind of a Lunatic: This song has the Geto Boys rhyming about necrophilia. Offensive, but classic song. 5/5

4. Gangsta of Love: This song has the Geto Boys rhyming about how they treat their women. Classic song. 5/5

5. Trigga-Happy Nigga: This song has the Geto Boys rhyming about how they like to use their guns a lot. Classic song. 5/5

6. Life In the Fast Lane: Classic song. 5/5

7. Assassins: This song has the Geto Boys rhyming about how they are assassins. Classic song. 5/5

8. Do It Like a G.O: Classic song. 5/5

9. Read These Nikes: This song has the Geto Boys rhyming about, how they like to put their feet on peoples faces. Classic song. 5/5

10. Talkin’ Loud, Ain’t Saying Nothin: This song has the Geto Boys, rhyming about people that run their mouth, but don't say anything valuable. Classic song. 5/5

11. Scarface: This song is a Scarface solo, and it has him doing his thing. Classic song. 5/5

12. Let a Ho Be a Ho: This song has the Geto Boys rhyming about, the types of females that they don't like. Classic song. 5/5

13. City Under Siege: Classic song. This song has been sampled in, "Violent" by 2Pac. 5/5

Pros:
Lyricism
Production
Invented horrorcore

Cons:
May be too offensive for some.

Overall I give this album a perfect rating.

3 Best Songs:

2. Gangsta of Love
3. Let a Ho Be a Ho

Nas I Am...Boogie Down Productions Sex And Violence
Rakim The Seventh SealKRS-One I Got Next
Kool G Rap and DJ Polo Wanted: Dead Or AliveKool G Rap and DJ Polo Road to the Riches
4.2

December 6th 2012

really wanna check this out

also bad review, track by tracks are generally a no.

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

menawati

many classic songs

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

tommygun
December 6th 2012

man so many classics whoa man whoa

review is 5/5 classic, negged hard

Douglas
December 6th 2012

"the types of females that they don't like"

yep.

benkim
December 6th 2012

Someone needs to track down this troll.

December 6th 2012

i love how every song is rated 5/5. I wouldn't even rate most of my 5's that way, this is some serious devotion

Emim

LIKE DIE MUTHAFUCKAS DIE MUTHAFUCKAS

STILL

December 6th 2012

hell yeah office space rules

srm90

5/5 Classic Review

Cygnatti

every song is classic!?

americanohno

H-TWN REPREZENT

UnkleUrple
December 6th 2012

Is a classic in retrospective for hardcore hip-hop/underground south shit but gahddamn them classic tracks.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You?re Dead!

ThePac
December 6th 2012

Ah, you think trolling is your ally? You merely adopted the Internet. I was born in it. Molded by it. Raised by it. I didn't go irl until I was a man, by then it was nothing to me but LOL

thecreative0ne
December 23rd 2012

@demigod93: You DEFINITELY should check this out.

slidenslip