Motion City Soundtrack
Go

by BenitoOfficial USER (5 Reviews)
December 5th, 2012 | 53 replies | 1,306 views

Review Summary: An effort to be proud of, but not an instant classic.

After the polished but still unmistakably MCS sound of "My Dinosaur Life", a 5th studio album was always going to be a hard task to get right. With "Go", Motion City Soundtrack almost get it right. Almost.

'Circuits and Wires' is an uplifting opener, with pounding drums and a bouncing refrain setting a high standard for the rest of the record, albeit without much in the way of complex arrangement. Similarly, 'True Romance' starts with upbeat potential, but the choruses don't quite stick like they should. Far from the standout track, it's no surprise that 'True Romance' missed the charts and barely showed up as "Go's" lead single.

Nevertheless, "Go" shows us a glistening sombre side of Motion City that had only briefly been seen in "Dinosaur Life" ('Stand Too Close') and "Commit This To Memory" ('Hold Me Down') but forms their fifth offering's strength. 'Timelines' is a gorgeous autobiography filled with brutal honesty ("I stuttered 'til the age of twelve/discovered sex at 17/and soon thereafter self-esteem") and distinct familiarity. The vocal delivery is spot-on and the crescendo bridge perfectly executed. "Everyone Will Die" is another ballad of high quality both lyrically and instrumentally, from strings to cathedral-hall drums which combine to create a spacious mood and an album highlight.

Amongst the bounce and ballad are some darker moments that sound like Motion City are trying slightly too hard to be taken seriously and end up feeling out of place. 'Happy Anniversary' seems like a filler, and never rises to any great height. 'The Worst Is Yet To Come' is too heavy for Justin and Co., and exposes the fact that Motion City truly are a power-pop band. 'Boxelder' is novel in its unusual time signatures and falsetto hooks, and is enjoyable on a simplistic level but isn't what MCS fans want to hear from the band's 5th effort.

Though, some moments are unmistakably Motion City Soundtrack. 'Bad Idea' is the album's best moment, and is as radio-friendly, relatable and accessible as anything Motion City have ever done. 'Coma Kid' is a fun song with typically Pierre lyrics about 'needing time to get it right'. Parts of "Go" return to MCS's pop-punk roots, but seem to have matured into gems of the genre that will further endear the band to their fans.

Overall, Motion City Soundtrack deliver a satisfactory 5th effort, albeit one that lacks continuity or cohesiveness in terms of sound. It's fragmented and almost genre-hops, but it's definitely worth repeated listens.

Recommended:

'Bad Idea'
'Timelines'
'Circuits and Wires'
'Floating Down the River'

ChungStarr (4)
‘Go’ seems to be of good substance and contains a few killer tracks, but the songs with a darke...

Adam Knott EMERITUS (3.5)
Falling just short of the band's highest standards, but with all the charm and hooks you'd expect....

Sam Cowen (4)
"I am attempting to change after years of destruction. Don't be alarmed."...

NorwichScene
December 5th 2012

Loved this album, thought it was their best

Digging: There Will Be Fireworks - The Dark, Dark Bright

album sucks

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

Yeah Taylor swift sucks lol

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

Crawl
December 5th 2012

Commit this to memory is so much better

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - Cope

Cormano
December 5th 2012

does cygnatti like any aything? like, at all?

this sucks doesn't it?
damn

December 5th 2012

no it doesn't suck at all

listen to boxelder or floating down the river first (might change your mind)

@Cormano,

I honestly think Cynatti does it on purpose to be edgy. His ratings make no sense he likes some good pop punk but hates some great po punk

December 5th 2012

idk I always found this band overrated as fuck, I mean Commit This to Memory was pretty good like 3.5-4 but it always felt a bit watered down. If this is worse it's gonna be a 2.5 flat but ok I'll give those songs a listen

December 5th 2012

well it's nowhere near commit to this memory but i like all their stuff to be honest

December 5th 2012

yeah that's what worries me
if fans of the band say it's nothing close to commit to this to memory then I prob won't like it
but w/e worth a listen

December 5th 2012

well if you didn't like my dinosaur life don't bother but if you enjoyed that record i'd say give this a chance.

December 5th 2012

Idk I listened to the beginning of some album and got bored immediately and put on something else. But that was also like 2010 or something when my friends rec'd me the band and back then I listened to crap so it's hard to say

anyways Boxelder was meh but Floating Down the River sounds better
have these guys abandoned pop punk completely? they sound 100% pop rock now. not meant as a dig at the band but a casual observation

December 5th 2012

good rec this one sounds a lot better than Atari's recs
still has a pop rock chorus but you know what, I like it. I just wish he would be a little more energetic in the chorus, like he is during the bridge

lucasjcockcroft

EVERY ONE WILL DIEEEEE AND EVERYONE WILL LOSEE

19945 Comments

I'm not sad anymore, I'm just tired of all these shitty bad pop punk bands

and yeah taylor swift still rules

swift sucks

lucasjcockcroft

IM NOT SAD ANYMORE, IM JUST TIRED MOST NIGHTS
#defendpoppunk2012
#soupyforprez
swift is terrible
ANOTHER PICTURE TO BURN

19945 Comments

she makes much more interesting pop songs than this band

that's fo shoe