The Offspring
Splinter

good

by Green Baron USER (81 Reviews)
December 4th, 2012 | 20 replies | 1,227 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Better than Conspiracy, but not the masterpiece that we're looking for.

You want to know the truth? The Offspring's 2000 album Conspiracy of One sucked. It was pure pop-punk garbage, going too soft after Americana established them as a punk juggernaut. Splinter is considerably harder, yet it is also less serious, with some joke tracks sprinkled in.

The best part about the album is how hard it hits. From the one-minute opener, "Neocon", you can see that The Offspring are trying to take this album more seriously, with lyrics like "we will never lose to you" and a big, thumping drum beat. Great songs include "The Noose", which is a great fast, catchy punk tune with great lines like "The future now incinerates before our very eyes/And leaves us with the emptiness of no more tries". "Race Against Myself" is another catchy, fast punk song, this time being about "running a race against [your]self". "Spare Me the Details" is a ska-tinged song about cheating lovers, and is probably the best song on the album. With a catchy chorus, funny lyrics and great drums, it's guaranteed to get stuck in your head.

So, the good songs on the album are mainly fast, catchy punk tunes. What about the bad? To say the least, they're stupid, boring, and just plain silly. After a heavy first half, seventh track "The Worst Hangover Ever" has ska influences and lyrics like "Went out drinking late last night. I had a blast / Well now the morning light has come and kicked my ass". It's supposed to be a fun, relaxing song, and even has a brass section.

The first single, "Hit That", may or may not be a joke track. It also has an annoyingly repetitive brass section, and the song is about teenage pregnancy and sex. The subject matter could be considered serious, but Dexter delivers it with such a happy attitude with lines like "sex is a weapon/It's like a drug". "Da Hui" is nothing but one-and-a-half minutes of Dexter dropping F-bombs about a Hawaiian surfer. Lyrics such as "I won't park next to Da Hui/Because I don't really feel comfortable" let us know that he isn't taking this seriously. One good thing about the song is how hard it hits, even though everyone else is pretty much a joke.

The last track "When You're In Prison" is the biggest flop of the album. It has crackly, old background music reminiscent of 1930's tunes and elevator music. The song is about prison rape, which mentions of "dropping the soap" and "being [some]one's bitch". Once again, all these joke songs negate the hard-hitting catchy punk in the first half.

All the other songs are fairly average. "Long Way Home" and "Never Gonna Find Me" are similar to each other in quality and sound, and they're both pretty solid. "(Can't Get My) Head Around You" is overrated, with Dexter's vocals a little bit nasally in the chorus. "Lightning Rod" is another fast punk song, and I have to say this. All the "average-quality" songs are pretty much the same. If you've heard one, you've heard them all.

So in the end, all the good built up in the first half is negated with the silly joke songs in the second half. And since all the other songs are basically average, so is the album. I don't love it, but then again I don't hate it, because there are some good songs.

Green Day DemoliciousBrand New Your Favorite Weapon
Bad Suns TransposeThe Offspring Smash
The Used Imaginary EnemyThe Colourist The Colourist
2.9
good
SylentEcho (2.5)

ChickenChaser (4)
Splinter, The Offspring's seventh album, may be short, but it is certainly sweet...

Oddsen (3)

MisterMonday (3.5)

ChopSuey

sucked is a great word

December 3rd 2012

I had a worse opinion about this album when I first came out, I heard that was again and was more enjoyable, still a poor effort by a band that could do it si much better. They are now an average gopu that release a lot of mixed bags.

Cygnatti

20053 Comments

gotta get away from me

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

YoYoMancuso
December 3rd 2012

Okay review, album's not as bad as everyone says it is

Digging: The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation

Vicho
December 3rd 2012

Better than Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace.

theacademy

good record

December 3rd 2012

Spare me the details is very solid.

OneMoreRoland
December 3rd 2012

I love Conspiracy of One... But probably a nostalgia thing.

DrGonzo1937
December 4th 2012

Love their 90's-early 00's stuff, anything past that is a bit.....average.

December 4th 2012

I don't know, I loved it when it came out and still like it... One of their best post-American album. I think you guys are taking When Your In Prison too seriously... It shouldn't be considered a song, it's a joke ;)

All the songs are average but some are great, at least in my opinion.

Sublime92
December 4th 2012

if this is shit, then y would I do that?

Do what?

December 4th 2012

Conspiracy is pretty enjoyable, pure nostalgia, reminds me when I was playing crazy taxi 3.

EvoHavok
December 4th 2012

I really like "(Can't get my) head around you".

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

December 4th 2012

The thing with Offspring in the past decade is that everyone is focused on those 1 or 2 joke/dumb songs, but rarely on the good ones that make up the bigger part of Splinter, Days Go By and to a lesser extent Rise And Fall.

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

December 4th 2012

I didn't like Days Go By though, if you want I made a review on it.

December 4th 2012

I find Days Go By better than Rise And Fall. There are some strong songs on Days that have that old-school Offspring feel.

More jokier? Lol

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

December 4th 2012

"Splinter is considerably harder, yet it is also more jokier, with a handful of joke tracks as well."

This sentence is wrong. Rewrite it.

greendaydabest