City Lights
In It To Win It

by Dakoda Jones USER (8 Reviews)
December 4th, 2012 | 12 replies | 1,231 views

Review Summary: It's a good debut, but I don't think the band has decided who they are yet.

City Lights is a hardecore/Pop Punk band from Columbus, Ohio. They signed to Invogue records and released their debut album In It To Win It.

Let's begin with the intro. Very simple chugging riffs with gang vocals that lead into Hangout, which is one of the most poppy songs but definitely one of the best. And we go from there through a couple very post-hardcore songs.

There's something to be said about the writing on this album. Everything is pretty unique and different. Even when their chugging, vocalist Oshie still goes strong with his very punk-ish clean vocals, a lot like I Call Fives. They frequently use D-beats (or other variations of it) most notably in, Trophy Room, What It Takes and Lawnmower.

Half-way through the album we reach Trophy Room. This song is outstanding! This is the band's strongest sound. This I could hear on the radio. it's almost got an Offspring sound. I just wish they had more songs like this one.

Other songs on the record like: Just In Case, My Entire Life and I Made A Song On Garage Band have a lot of chugging. And, yes, its good chugging, but chugging. It's not the bands strongest point. Some of those songs just seem like fills for the better songs.

The last song on the record is What It Takes which is also by far the best song on the record. Hardcore and fantastic.

It's a good debut, but I don't think the band has decided who they are yet.

Recommended tracks: Trophy Room, Lawnmower, What It Takes.

Stages and Stereos Small Town FavoritesThe Story So Far What You Don't See
Go Radio Close the DistanceThe Plot In You Could You Watch Your Children Burn
Crown the Empire The FalloutStructures Divided By

ThroneOfAgony
December 3rd 2012

In the future, make sure you talk more about the album and basically make it longer overall. Good effort though, just make sure you talk more in-depth about the album

KSK1
December 3rd 2012

Yeah review needs a little more detail but you're scratching the surface. Shit band though

DAKODA
December 3rd 2012

Thanks for the advice guys!

pepster50
December 28th 2012

I don't like all your remarks about it being "hardcore". Yes there is chugging, but it doesn't feel or sound hardcore at all. I would call it punk with the inclusion of breakdowns; very reminiscent or Four Year Strong's "Rise or Die Trying". You really didn't talk about the album in detail at all.

February 19th 2013

Not a great review, but some promise, keep working on it. And oh, 1st sentence ''City Lights is a hardecore/Pop Punk band from Columbus, Ohio'' Hardecore? Never heard of that style of music before haha.

nononsense

Band rules.

Digging: Invent, Animate - Everchanger

pepster50
March 5th 2013

have you heard their new song? Its kind of disheartening .

nononsense

No, I have not.

March 6th 2013

I thought their new song was ok, catchy as fuck chorus.

DAKODA
March 17th 2013

I absolutely love the new City Lights song!

March 18th 2013

I wouldn't say l absolutely love it, but it's good.

Diamondize
April 15th 2014

She swears she's twenty-one as she walks through the dooooooor

Digging: Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun