In This Moment

1.0
awful

by Vak USER (12 Reviews)
December 3rd, 2012 | 16 replies | 1,683 views

Review Summary: Nothing more than childish, immature drivel.

I've always held ITM in a high regard. Beautiful Tragedys is one of my favourite albums and The Dream had some crazy catchy and enjoyable songs, A Starcrossed Wasteland disappointed, but was still enjoyable. When I heard ITM were in the process of making a new album I was more than excited. My history with the band coupled with the fact at the time I was seeking some new, fun metalcore had me over the moon. As with most things, I only looked at the release date and went dark on all info. I'm starting to think that maybe that was a mistake in this instance, as what I got was nothing short of pitiful.

The album starts out innocently enough with 'Rise with me' being an atmospheric track with Maria singing over the top. But when the next song 'Blood' reared its disfigured and hideous head, I was in more than shock. Guitars limited to a 'jun jun jun' sound, Maria babbling horrible and downright embarrassing lyrics (granted she was never a great lyricist, but this is just drivel) and one of the laziest 'solos' I've ever heard. I was not impressed to say the least.

Next track 'Adrenalize' didn't help things either. Following in the same suite as 'Blood' guitars are limited to dunduns, horrible lyrics and just a really boring and lifeless song. It didn't help that they'd decided they'd throw in some electronic influences, which are just as bad and lazy and the rest of the rubbish going on. Next track 'Whore' had me laughing out loud after the first minute, and for the first time in listening to ITM, I was embarrassed to be a fan.

The album follows very closely to what is described. Maria babbles very sex oriented lyrics (with none of her soaring or catchy vocals from previous albums) guitars throw very few riffs our way, drumming is just kind of there and a badly incorporated electronic influence. The only song I enjoyed was 'From the Ashes' as it felt like ITM of old.

I cannot recommend this to anyone, and fans of their previous albums should stay well away from this. This is nothing more than childish, immature drivel.

Recommended tracks

Opeth My Arms, Your HearseDaylight Dies A Frail Becoming
2.9
good
jitteryzeitgeist (2.5)
Missed it by *that* much....

Michael Whitaker (2)
Maria Brink shows us how well she can sing, yell, and scream over chugging guitar chords, as well as...

Seth Barry-Hinton (2.5)
A somewhat bland album that's still a good headbanger....

December 3rd 2012

this took a while, I got frustrated many times writing about this pathetic excuse for an album. Even a 1 seems way to high a rating.

Any and all (constructive) critisism is welcome.

Digging: Sepultura - Arise

FrozenVain
December 3rd 2012

Sup, Vakarian. This review was good, but try not to post to many reviews the same day. It knocks all other reviews off the front page.

FrozenVain
December 3rd 2012

You have only posted 2 today so I shoulnd't whine, but it's worth mentioning.

ZGP1992
December 3rd 2012

I loved Beautiful Tragedy when it came out, but havent heard anything else besides thier first single off of the second album. Reason being that song scared me away from buying it

December 3rd 2012

@FrozenVain. Noted. And cheers for the pos. Was actually wondering whether there was an unwritten rule about reviews per day, thanks for shedding some light on that!

@ZGP. you should really give The Dream a listen. Its more poppy to be sure, but still has some really good stuff. Check out 'Voilet Skies'

Emim

Я нравятся отрицательные отзывы

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Brostep
December 3rd 2012

I want to like this but I tried a song or two on it and I simply can't get into it. Not a bad review, have a pos.

ZGP1992
December 3rd 2012

Will do, my tastes have broadened since hearing that single. So ill give it a shot.

Shuyin

singer is still hot

Digging: Integral - Sercosa

February 24th 2013

not really, she looks diseased.

DirtBagDan

Album sucks.

That it does.

Rastapunk
May 1st 2013

Blood and Adrenalize are the only songs I like on this album... not for the lyrics though, for the indus/nu metal riffs.

Manqaness24
February 10th 2014

Very bad album only about 3 okay songs.