Crystal Castles
Crystal Castles III

2.0
poor

by derho USER (31 Reviews)
December 1st, 2012 | 19 replies | 1,572 views

Review Summary: This is no longer the dancehall of my nightmares

It’s been 6 years since Crystal Castles released their first single. Bands are like people. Some mature and gain wisdom with age, while others refuse to grow up. A select few reach the dreaded brick wall of dark faux-enlightenment and end up just being jaded. We tend to avoid those people. Negativity can be suffocating. All we can do is hope, for their sakes, that they figure out what a waste of time it is to be stuck neck-deep in depressing thoughts all day long.

Crystal Castles’ third release, "III", is a funny thing. The band clearly, in their own way, were grasping at the mainstream here, but that doesn’t mean its welcoming. Quite the contrary, the mixing is odd, alternatively distant and abrasive. They’ve taken sandpaper to their sound, and in some places just rubbed a little too hard for too long. The dynamism and momentum of past releases are gone, no matter how hard the forceful club-beats try to convince you otherwise.

In contrast to the evenly-paced "II", more restrained (I shudder to say accessible) numbers dominate here, and generally end up sounding watery. When the band does go off (and they do), it seems more slapped together mess than carefully orchestrated chaos. “Insulin” plays a half-hearted electro-hardcore jam that got mangled somewhere between Pro-tools and the final pressing. The idiosyncrasies that seemed so fresh before (ex: sampled vocals as an instrument) seem worn out. It’s not that they couldn’t have been used effectively, there just wasn’t a will for it.

This is the music of a group that has seen a darkness, but it’s in no way enlightening. In fact, it comes off as patronizing, sheltering. “I’ll protect you from/ all the things I’ve seen” vocalist Alice Glass deadpans over the subdued spasms of “Kerosene.” We’re big kids, Alice. We can handle it.

The band’s iconoclastic status makes it all too easy for defenders to write off missteps as social statements of some kind. But statements still need to say *something*. I’d prefer to think of the Castles as drained, but it wouldn’t be a stretch to say they were bored in the making of "III". The repetition and lack of originality, paired with some mild weird-you-out effects, fails to capture me as satirical barbing of boring top-40 trash. It’s more of a dry parody of their earlier work.

Crystal Castles have always made the music for the resistance to some imagined Orwellian world-state, so what is "III"? Are they telling us the struggle just isn’t worth it anymore? This is a band that has been tenaciously experimental throughout their career. I really hope they get back on track.

4.5/10

Talking Heads Remain in LightYouth Lagoon Wondrous Bughouse
The Men New MoonParquet Courts Light Up Gold
Foxygen We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors...The Pop Group Y
diseasedracoon (4)
Crystal Castles 2012 album (III) is like diving into a warped, melancholic world governed by bleak d...

disappearhere (4)
Returning with their third album, Crystal Castles show that they are more consistent than ever. Surp...

BrianE (4)
Alice Glass is aghast with world injustice...

Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (2.5)
We demand to be taken seriously...

Sweet

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

December 1st 2012

glad to have a bit of consensus. I saw the rating distribution and got confused. Am I missing all the "excellent" in here?

December 1st 2012

I don't know man, my review got neg'd hard because of the rating

December 1st 2012

awk hahah so much for my nice looking approval rating. Oh well, I'm sticking by it

Funeralopolis
December 1st 2012

so much for my approval rating

1 out of 1 liked it

Digging: Banks - Goddess

December 1st 2012

I was referring to Trebor's comment about people's response to his review

December 1st 2012

If you post a review for an album a while after it came out on the weekend you won't get neg'd hard usually
Unless it's like Brand New or something

PistolPete
December 1st 2012

Still don't get the hate for this, it was pretty solid IMO (nothing truly special, but solid). Well-written though, that first paragraph really spoke to me. Thank you.

Digging: Jolly - The Audio Guide to Happiness (Part 2)

WashboardSuds
December 1st 2012

"Still don't get the hate for this"

ditto

Digging: Gas - Nah und Fern

Tyrael

20824 Comments

sigh

Aids
December 1st 2012

"Am I missing all the "excellent" in here?"

no, this band really fucking sucks, but everyone likes them for some reason. I can't figure it out.

GlassApplesause
December 1st 2012

the 3.6-7 average ratings for each of their albums doesn't entail that "everyone" likes them

VheissuCrisis
December 1st 2012

Good work here, pos. Still need to get this, I enjoyed their second album.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

fish.

singer's hot 4.5/5

Digging: Gesaffelstein - Aleph

someguest

20393 Comments

singer's hot 4.5/5

what the fuck are you on?

and can I have some?

Polyethylene

She's hot in a weird anorexic banshee way. 3.5/5

Polyethylene
December 2nd 2012

Which is also my rating for this album atm, cccooosssmmmmiiiicccccc

fish.

Deviant.
December 2nd 2012

I mean she's not unattractive, but...

Digging: Banks - Goddess