Senium
Such Progress

by johnwaynewasanazi USER (2 Reviews)
November 28th, 2012 | 4 replies

This is my first review so bare with me.

Hailing from New Jersey, Senium is one of the leaders of the underground grunge scene, along with Cable35 and the Noiseheads. They sound like could have been in the era themselves. They have an authentic grunge sound that also has a 60s/Beatles-ish vibe to it. I'd recommend this band if you like Nirvana, Melvins, or grunge in general.

This album was recorded & mixed by the legendary Steve Albini (so you know it has to be good).

Vocals, Guitar, Bass - Andrew McNicholas
Drums - Mark Tarquinio

1. Self Interest
The song starts with various feedback sounds with the drums fading in. Then the main riff, along with the drums, starts. The song has a raw, grungey sound in the verse, then has a very melodic chorus. The vocals are screamed for most of the song, but has a very melodic sound to it. Andrew McNicholas' vocals are great in this song.
4.5/5

2. In Depth
This song has a very raw sound. The guitar, drums, vocals, everything. It starts with the raging guitar and drums. Then Andrew starts screaming, "So what? I said so!". It is a very repetitive song, but not in a bad way. I'd compare it to Territorial Pissings by Nirvana
5/5

3. Anything You Say
This song is the band's most popular song. It is a bit overrated, though. It is a good song, one of the most the most pop-y/catchy songs on the album. If these guys make it big, this will probably be one of their hits. It has a very catchy main riff and bass line. The song is mostly screamed (like most of there songs [I don't mean screamed like screamo, think of screaming like Kurt Cobain]).

4. Original Source
This song has a VERY Bleach-era Nirvana vibe. It is very catchy, but not pop-y. This song with get you head-banging for sure! This is one my favorite songs.
5/5

5. Formality
This is one of the two "easy-listening" songs on the album. There is not much screaming, just a light riff with Andrew singing very nicely. It is kind of a break from all the head-banging.
3.5/5

6. Certain Leisures
This song is a Alice in Chains/Love Battery-ish song. It transitions from screaming to melodic singing many times. It is a decent song, but it kind of sounds like a filler.
3/5

7. As It Is
Nevermind-esque song here! It sounds a lot like School/Breed by Nirvana. It is very repetitive, but it is quite enticing. Very, very Nirvana-ish song.

8. Drone
This is probably their most overrated song. It has a very fuzzed-out guitar sound. I just really don't like it that much. It's good at first, but gets annoying.
3/5

9. Mockery
Their second "easy-listening" song. It sounds a lot like Pet Salad (If you're not familiar with them, I'd definitely look them up!). This song is harder than the other song. There is a little screaming, but not much. Good song.
3.5/5

10. 9-5 Labor Shift
Phase-effect used in the riff. This is a strange song at first with the phaser, but when the chorus hits you get the good 'ol screamed vocals. This is a great song, one of their best.
4.5/5

11. Second Rate
This is their best song, by far! I'd compare it to Smells Like Teen Spirit. If there ever is a grunge revolution, this will be the anthem! It shows Andrew's fantastic ability to write songs. This is a beautifully written song. Everything in this song is perfect.
5+/5

12. Such Progress
Great way to end the album. Nothing out if the ordinary on this song. Repetitive riff... screamed vocals...etc.
4/5

This is a top 10 album for me. It's a crime this band has little recognition.

Pros:

Andrew's voice
Guitar
True Grunge sound

Cons:

The songs can start to sound the same

ThroneOfAgony
November 28th 2012

Hey nice choice for a review! I love Nirvana so I'll give this band a shot. Also welcome to the site man!

First things first though, the review. People on this site tend to knock off 'track by track' reviews, so in the future, try to stray away from doing them.

Also, try to describe the sound of the album next time too, that would help. Like describe the general feel of the whole album as opposed to just each track.

You have pretty nice descriptors for each song and it gives me a good indication if the song will be good/bad but next time do something different, if you wish

Cheers man

johnwaynewasanazi

Thanks man

Yeah, I've noticed people generally don't like track by track. I won't do it next time.

ZippaThaRippa
November 28th 2012

You totally nailed it with that first sentence

slagun
April 18th 2013

It's a good album from what i heard but seems really odd to give it a 5 especially considering these guys base their sound heavily on Nirvana and don't seem to be very innovative. However I havent heard all songs yet so I might be wrong.