Tame Impala
Lonerism

by derho USER (31 Reviews)
November 27th, 2012 | 16 replies

Review Summary: Tame Impala help the internet generation learn to trip out.

Psychedelic music never seems to leave us alone. But maybe that’s just because we love it so much. “Neo”-Psychedelia is the critically ascribed term for anything that reportedly takes its cues from 1967. Perhaps this is erroneous. Instead, lets think of psychedelic music as an ever evolving entity; one that has never faded from existence, warranting a revival and a predicate “Neo”-. It represents a kind of songcraft particularly preoccupied on the mind-boggling power of good production to create the impression of an altered (or totally alien) state of mind. This is what, in principle, unites the otherwise distinct music of Sgt. Pepper, Echo & The Bunnymen, early 70’s Pink Floyd, the Flaming Lips, and shoegaze under a single banner. It’s obsessive music, and its been known to consume the minds of those who make it. So who can we call upon the carry the banner of drugged-out perfectionism through the slew of sloth and short attention spans?

Enter Tame Impala, the pet project of apparent Australian prodigy Kevin Parker. Their most recent release, “Lonerism”, represents Psychedelic music as it stands, 2012 A.D. De-tuned synths, uber-fuzzed-out guitars, extensive filtering, arpeggiators, and even the occasional dance-beat get all mixed up together to form the increasingly complex kaleidoscope of psych. Now, any good kaleidoscope needs a willing hand to turn it. Lucky for us, Parker is an astoundingly talented fellow. The guitar work is splendid, jangling but noisy, the drums interesting at every turn, and the bass work (while clearly the product of a guitarist’s hands) consistently flirts with spell-binding. Oh and remember, it’s all him. Jeesh.

We know our hero is awfully happy. This album is chock-full of feel-goodies, heralded by the all-smiles opener, “Be Above It.” The brakes are rarely applied. Everything moves at a fairly steady clip, even if it occasionally carries on for a bit too long. There’s an effective balance reached between the well-arranged and the out of control. When things do get on the lengthy side, we can see clearly and feel Parker’s obsession with catharsis. Building, building, pause, BOOM! And repeat. This formulaic approach can be risky, but for the most part really works, giving the album almost a clubby feel.

Unfortunately, meticulous overproduction muddles the effect of some of the best tracks, most notably on the centerpiece “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards.” You’ll get that song in your head without a doubt, but you’ll be subconsciously removing the literal tidal waves of reverb and delay. “Elephant” is the song that most feels like a tribute to the past, kind of like an odd-tempo’d, semi-Cream jam, and, unsurprisingly, it ends up being the least satisfying. That being said, there are a good number of grade A rock songs (masquerading as pop), enough to make this album a 2012 necessity.

Rather than a realization of glory, “Lonerism” shrieks of incredible potential. We don’t have a new Psychedelic classic quite yet, but I can see one on the horizon.

7/10

Talking Heads Remain in LightYouth Lagoon Wondrous Bughouse
The Men New MoonParquet Courts Light Up Gold
Foxygen We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors...The Pop Group Y
lz41 (2.5)
Syd Barrett cracks the top on his second attempt......

Hernan M. Campbell STAFF (4.3)
A familiar sound with only slight renovations. Lonerism lives up to the reputation of its predecesso...

nice review

demigod!
November 27th 2012

only heard innerspeaker and it was decent

Digging: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

November 27th 2012

neo psychedelia is a valid term and it doesnt apply to tame impala
also pretty sure band is australian

other than that good review

November 27th 2012

innerspeaker better than this for me

derho
November 27th 2012

thanks. I've just been writing reviews for old stuff that I already like/love so I decided to give more contemporary, relevant stuff a shot.

November 27th 2012

well youve done Love, XTC and then this so you are on a fine run of choices hehe

derho
November 27th 2012

tarkus, you're right they're australian. Thats my bad.

Ire

soft bulletin

SgtPepper
November 27th 2012

I was wondering when someone else was going to write something for this. Good review, man.

Have a POS. Also, change the spelling to "Neo-Psychedelia" on the first paragraph.

November 27th 2012

band ruled live yeah saw em at lollapalooza perfect atmosphere

SgtPepper
November 27th 2012

I saw them live a few weeks ago as well. They really do put on a great show.

YoYoMancuso
November 27th 2012

nice review, still gotta listen to this

November 27th 2012

listen to innerspeaker first if you havent

YoYoMancuso

i have, love it

WhiteNoise
November 27th 2012

Good to hear that they've gotten better live. I saw them before te first album came out and they were hands down the worst thing I've seen.

Cygnatti
February 2nd 2013

I didn't really find this album very impressive.

Digging: Jerry Lee Lewis - Live at the Star Club, Hamburg