Black Veil Brides
Rebels

by dragoth USER (29 Reviews)
November 24th, 2012 | 47 replies | 1,795 views

Review Summary: BVB come out with a great EP, just avoid the video.

After turning from their emo metalcore style of their debut We Stitch These Wounds to their more glam metal style featured on follow up album Set The World on Fire Black Veil Brides continue in this attire to their latest EP Rebels in which they take their music to the next level to release one new song and two covers.

The album opens with their new track Coffin which begins with a eerie piano intro before coming in with a classic BVB style riff, fast and full of power. When you hear this it becomes apparent that this is different from anything released on Set The World on Fire it is better. The vocals, provided by Andy Biersack, have improved, the band have improved instrumentally, they have more variation and a good breakdown and guitar solo. The song features a very catchy chorus that demonstrates the improvement in the vocals, the range getting better with each album. One thing this band can write, is a chorus. My main complaint with this song is the screamed line 'Never let you, steal my afterlife what does that even mean? Overall however it is a very good song and a good opener to the EP.

Now we come to the covers. The first is a cover of Rebel Yell by Billy Idol, this is a very famous song and Black Veil Brides do a very good job of making it their own, doing well in keeping to the original, making it into a more rocky anthem. Its not as good as the original, but it is a valiant effort.

The second cover is Unholy by KISS featuring Zakk Wylde. I have no idea why Zakk is on the cover, but im not going to complain, he contributes to it well, providing a great guitar solo to it. This is the song where Andy lets loose with the screams, which have improved so much from the last album. The band do a good job in covering the song, its not as good as the Billy Idol cover, but still pretty damn good.

The final thing on this EP, and the most disappointing aspect of it overall, is the video for Rebel Love Song it features, the song been present on their last album. It is quite cringeworthy to watch as the acting is pretty damn poor. If you don't like the band then do not, for the sake of your sanities, watch it. It is not good.

So, Black Veil Brides come out with a very good EP, featuring three great songs, and one piss poor video. For haters of the band, avoid it, it won't change your opinion and will probably make it worse, if you like the band though, its a definite to check out as will be a good addition to your collection.