Blood on the Dance Floor
It's Hard to Be a Diamond...

good

by Exhorder USER (11 Reviews)
November 25th, 2012 | 132 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ridiculous but really good fun music.

Blood On The Dance Floor are one of the most frequently criticized bands in the music community of today and it is really not hard to tell why. The band creates electronic pop with some annoying spoken-rapped vocals that occasionally give way to either monotonous screaming or a clean sung section, with the lyrics almost exclusively being about sexual acts in some way with some of the most pointless profanity that would probably make Eminem blush a little. However, I personally do not feel the band deserves much of the hate people give them for the simple reason that their music is almost always a complete riot to listen to.

Their music is just good fun when one puts it plainly and simply. Listen to the chorus of Ima Monster and tell me that it does not get your blood pumping and just make you want to jump up and down. This is the sort of bouncy music that few artists can create, it is equal parts catchy and hilarious and clearly is not intended to be taken seriously, and when it does attempt to sound seriously it finds its weakness. In particular Mosh & Roll sticks out like a sore thumb as an attempt to create some more serious music that just does not go well with Blood On The Dance Floor's thundering beats and optimistic sounding vocalist. This is also about as close to pure metal as this album goes, so for those who think "screaming" and instantly relate it to a band similar to As I Lay Dying or Slipknot you should look elsewhere.

The lyrics to this album are absolutely mindless and as graphic as it gets, solely centering on perverted fantasies and containing so much swearing that one would think they are listening to a recording of a Quentin Tarantino movie. This leads to some undeniably infectious choruses but for the most part it is cringe inducing, with S My D being the best example of the ridiculous string of expletives this duo of musicians created. Lines such as "S My D, pop it off like lipstick, Suck My Dick" are just so wince-worthy that it is ridiculous. However this song also has an absolutely thrilling screamed section that feels completely at home despite the thoroughly electronic sound of the song and is perfect for the song.

The screaming and clean singing on this album in my opinion are decent enough and certainly are underrated but the talk-rapping that is used on every single song just grows so grating across the album that it is unreal. For those looking for a good vocal performance from this group listen to their Anthems Of The Outcast EP as they made a massive improvement in this department. Save The Rave, Ima Monster and S My D have some pretty decent vocal moments, especially the choruses and the aforementioned screaming part of S My D but for the most part these guys suck vocally. The real reason i recommend this is that it is so catchy and is just some of the most downright, straightforward FUN and enjoyment that one will find anywhere in music.