Faunts
Left Here Alone

good

by fish CONTRIBUTOR (43 Reviews)
November 23rd, 2012 | 15 replies

Review Summary: Pretty and atmospheric, Left Here Alone is a window into Faunts's growing period

It’s surprising Faunts have remained so unrecognised, especially considering their stunning contributions to a certain sci-fi RPG game series, but armed with their dreamy brand of shoegazey post rock they seem to enjoy lying low. 2009’s Feel.Love.Thinking.Of was the last we’d heard from the Canadians, and even that remains their only full length since their debut in 2005. Their newly released EP, Left Here Alone, contains some unreleased tracks incepted during the time between 2005’s High Expectations/Low Results and 2007’s M4, after which the band moved their focus away from floating atmosphere towards soft hooks. Subsequently, fans who prefer the more direct and poppy approach of Feel.Love.Thinking.Of may be disappointed by Left Here Alone, with its soft vocals and airy reverb seeing most of the songs drawn out to just shy of ten minutes, and the entire four song EP to twenty-nine.

It’s certainly very pretty, but you can’t help feel that the music lacks substance. Without hooks it’s down to the instruments to do the work but with the dainty, high pitched textures of “Alarmed” and “What I’d Love To Hear You Say”, Faunts don’t pull it off like they did with their later EP, M4, and it all ends up sounding a little boring. The occasional guitar lines don’t really do much to liven up the music either- nowhere near the way they did on M4’s incredible twin title tracks. “Stay A While” starts turning things a little more interesting, taking an uncharacteristically more vocal-led approach and nicely harmonised multi-instrumental textures, but it isn’t until the album’s closer that Faunts realise the vision hinted at on the previous tracks. Opening with creeping samples and a slow, pulsing percussion, the song finally hits home when the synthesisers open in the distance and evoke a cold, melancholic atmosphere. Softly sung vocals fit nicely in the textures and the lyrical images conveyed mirror the music’s lonely vibe- both retaining the delicate tinges of hope and longing which underpin Faunts’s best music. The elegantly fuzzy chorus sees the vocals almost breaking apart as they deliver Left Here Alone’s most gorgeous melody. Although at 9m56s this is the longest song of the EP and one of the longest songs in Faunts’s discography, its graceful nature and interesting textures almost suspend time, achieving what, unfortunately, the other songs could not.

Left Here Alone is certainly more for fans of High Expectations/Low Results and M4 than Feel.Love.Thinking.Of. Dainty and refined to the last detail, there may be much to find in its winter soundscapes, but it’s the moment of brilliance on the title track that shows Faunts are able to completely fulfil their own potential- hinting at the developments and improvements they’d make on M4. For almost that alone, Left Here Alone deserves a chance.

JMSN †Pllajë†Say Lou Lou Better In The Dark

2 reviews in 2 days

am i crazy

inb4 "reads like a 2.5"

November 23rd 2012

might check it out, all ive heard of theirs is that one with the fighting crabs video

Digging: iamthemorning - Belighted

oh have pos nice rev

thanks

yeah that's m4 pt2 and probably my favourite song of all time

November 23rd 2012

yea thats it lots of delayed guitar riffs song pretty decent

November 23rd 2012

WHAAAAAAT!?!? faunts released new music? I thought they had broken up!

21963 Comments

Nope, they've just been quiet on the new music front

insomniac15
November 24th 2012

great review, pos. i have heard a few of their songs but never an entire record. i will check this too.

Digging: Amplifier - Mystoria

21963 Comments

I think feel love thinking of is their most popular release but imo M4 is by far the best thing they've come out with

insomniac15
November 24th 2012

I'm getting M4 then to listen to it as a whole. I do agree with your opinions on Left Here Alone, it's a bit lacking but the title track is just beautiful.

November 26th 2012

From what I can tell of the iTunes previews, the first two tracks sound awesome. and as I'm typing this I've just noticed
there is a link to a streaming of the album. idiot

December 12th 2012

What I'd Love to Hear You Say is an amazing song. thoroughly enjoying this.

RadicalEd
June 16th 2013

The M4 EP is the best thing ever. I need to check this.

Digging: U2 - Songs of Innocence

RadicalEd
June 19th 2013

I liked this very much. "Stay a while" is not that great. Opening and Closing song are pretty epic though.