Paradise Lost
Tragic Idol

by ksoflas USER (6 Reviews)
November 21st, 2012 | 17 replies

Review Summary: Massive, majestic, stern, a flawless album from all angles which brings proudly the group’s signature.

The boys from Yorkshire return and what kind of come back this is! "Tragic Idol" is a time machine that travels us back in time particularly in the 90’s and specifically in the good old days of classics like "Icon" and "Draconian Times".

The turning to the familiar sound of the band had already begun with their previous releases (see "In Requiem" (2007), "Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us" (2009)) but honestly who would imagine that the group’s latest release would be able to look straight in the eyes of albums-stations for them and the whole metal genre such as "Icon" and "Draconian Times"? How many releases worldwide have the balls to stand shoulder to shoulder beside them?

Doom atmosphere and horrific Sabbath riffs combined perfectly with Sisters Of Mercy influences. Gloomy vibes, wonderful artwork, grief, and self-centered darkness and melancholy that only Paradise Lost offer, convert this album surely to one of the highlights of the year. Massive, majestic, stern, a flawless album from all angles which brings proudly the group’s signature. "Tragic Idol", is an all metal album that exudes an unparalleled splendor for our times. If I wasn’t a hardcore dedicated follower of the British, I would bet that this album was released when the death / doom genre and Paradise Lost were in artistic zenith and not 2012. It is really surprising that the band managed this, especially when many of their fans thought they are finished and sold out due to releases like "Host" and "Believe in Nothing". We're talking about a band that has contributed greatly to the evolution of metal, has brought a lot of people in it, has experimented and twenty years after its foundation, gives us one of the strongest moments of their career. "Tragic Idol" is an album-experience which spreads pride and hope to all those who love the British death / doom 90’s scene and sits comfortably next to the top albums of the genre.

Experiments are finally finished and we are all staring face to face with a huge masterful album. Lost are here…stronger, louder, heavier and darker than ever!!!

Savatage The Dungeons Are CallingUncle Acid And The Deadbeats Mind Control
Alice in Chains Black Gives Way to BlueAgua de Annique Air
Crimson Glory Transcendence
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
There is something beautiful in these minor tones; it’s just like looking at a lobster for the fir...

Voivod STAFF (4)
Paradise Lost paint a bleak icon for the draconian times we are called to live and cope in....

Trey Spencer STAFF (3.5)
Paradise Lost have finally completed their transition away from the electro-rock influences and have...

FrozenVain
November 21st 2012

D+review. I knew I had a pos lying around here somewhere...ah! Here it is. Take it. (or die a horrible death)

November 21st 2012

Thanks man.I really want to live...
We are talking about a killer album!

November 21st 2012

Είναι τυχαίο που 2 στις 3 κριτικές για το δίσκο αυτό είναι γραμμένες από Έλληνες?

Το ερώτημα φυσικά, είναι ρητορικό.

Awesome album, even the weak tracks have a lot to say.

Digging: Madred - Supersonic Brainfuck Overdrive

Nice work Voivod, Pos.

Anybody have a rar or zip link for this? Want to jam this but couldn't find one quick enough and got pissed

This is not my review.

November 21st 2012

Oh you're right this isn't the one you did. Lmao

I don't know how I got switched over to this one. Well I just pos'd yours too.

November 21st 2012

Thanks...by the way i hope i deserve your pos.

November 21st 2012

Yeah it was good bro. Except for the "!!!" at the end

November 21st 2012

Voi,in the end you will think that i track down your reviews and then write 1 for myself...it's not like that.We just have common taste.

November 21st 2012

Well i was a bit excited.The album is damn good!

scissorlocked
November 21st 2012

πλυθαινουμε οσο παει... χεχε!!

have a pos man!

Digging: Low Roar - Low Roar

@ksoflas

Μην το παίρνεις προσωπικά φίλος, το 2/3 δεν το είπα για κακό ;-).

Αυτό που εννοούσα είναι πως οι λοστ έχουν τρελό ρεύμα στην Ελλάδα, εξ'ου και οι δυο κριτικές.

ΕΝΝΟΕΙΤΑΙ ότι είναι θεμιτό να υπάρχουν και 1 εκατ. κριτικές για τον ίδιο δίσκο και το τελευταίο που με νοιάζει στο σπούτνικ είναι τα κείμενα μου να είναι τα μοναδικά για ένα δίσκο, ίσα ίσα.

Experiments are finally finished

I agree 100%, the middle era albums were good but not within PL's default plane of excellence.

pos.

November 22nd 2012

Προφανώς δεν εννοούσα αυτό αδερφέ μου Voi, και ίσα ίσα χαίρομαι που έχουμε παρόμοια γούστα.Μην είμαστε κολλημένοι σαν τους φίλους μας τα αμερικανάκια...

Parallels
November 22nd 2012

Whoa, I think I drank too much. Can't read.

Ha,ha,ha,ha...good one.
It's all greek to you man cause they are greek indeed.

TrephineArtist
December 6th 2012

It took me several listens to fully appreciate this album (except for the awesome opening track) but it is excellent, definitely a 'grower' for me.

At first it seemed to be lacking the keyboards and atmospherics of previous efforts but after repeated listens the quality shines through.

However I don't see it as a comeback at all. PL never went away or off the boil for me (maybe a little on Believe in Nothing). Host is a great album and I'd disagree that they 'sold out' by doing it. Quite the contrary actually, they took risks with that album. It would've been easier for them to stay in the DT sound but fair play to them they didn't. And its made them a stronger and better band in the long run, I reckon.

Who knows what they'll come up with next.

NagasakiBomber
December 6th 2012

only heard once when it was released might go back to this at some point, remember it being rather decent