Holly Herndon
Movement

by hankdee27 USER (19 Reviews)
November 21st, 2012 | 18 replies

Review Summary: Holly Herndon breathes some fresh air into experimental electronic music.

I'm glad I came across this. I'm no big fan of electronic music in general, but someone recommended I have a listen of this recently-released LP by this new artist. Holly Herndon is new, but not a rookie when it comes to making this industrialized 'laptop music'. Some may come into disgust at that term, but Holly knows her game (The young composer traveled around Europe for quite some time, in order to get the cultural feel of electronic music). She had once said herself that she wanted to learn a real instrument someday, so that she could be taken more seriously as a composer. Later, she returned to California's Mills College, and discovered that electronic music made from her computer could be her calling. Amazing, she has made a laptop a personal, intimate instrument that she crafts art with.

This LP is seven tracks long, and the total album time is only about 30 minutes long. Two of these seven tracks are at the one to two minute mark. Holly knows atmosphere in electronica, but she takes advantage of the colder, robotic side of this type of music, and creates some very worthy sounds. On the opener, "Terminal", waves of sound come across, going from one speaker to the other, quicker at each time, transforming into a grinding fan-like noise. This slowly transitions into cold, relaxing hums of ambience. It goes on even further. (There are too many sounds to note into a few sentences, it’s really that good). "Breathe" is without question the best track on this album, and it shows that Holly can turn her own breathes of air into ocean waves that sound almost quite creepy. The concept of the track is that we breathe when we are born until we die; know that's a pure Zen Buddhism concept right there. Another track that can be appreciated is the closer, "Dilato" with a guest male vocalist and Holly singing harmoniously together in computerized, glitchy style.

Much of Holly's own vocals are included in this fashion on here. Her voice all glitched up into different shapes and sizes can be quite impressive, crafting moods of playfulness, tenseness, and anxiousness. The only real beef I have with this album is that it the title doesn't really suggest a flow of what you would think, but that can be easily dismissed with the amount of ingenious sounds you'll find on here. I hope in the future, that Ms. Herndon can create something a bit longer as well, but that's no big problem either. Like my friend who recommended this to me, I recommend this to anyone who is not very interested or hates electronic music, because this LP might just happen to change your mind about everything you've heard so far. If I'm wrong, then the hell with this whole review, because I must have been drunk...
Recommended Tracks:
Terminal
Breathe
Dilato

THEESatisfaction awE naturalEKendrick Lamar good kid, m.A.A.d city
Marilyn Manson Antichrist SuperstarNirvana In Utero
A Perfect Circle Thirteenth StepKorn Korn

21965 Comments

heard good things bout this might listen might not

November 21st 2012

Trust me, you shall not regret it if you do.

21965 Comments

I hear that said so often lol

November 21st 2012

Oh sorry... That must suck, having all these people telling you what to listen to.

21965 Comments

not sure what the point of that comment was

November 21st 2012

You beat me to the punch. :P Damn vacation. Oh, well, I am still going to submit a review anyway.

November 21st 2012

Haha sorry, no one had written anything about it yet. So I took the chance for first review. I'll read your review though after you submit it.

Great album though,

November 21st 2012

:3 Thank you. I am still debating whether to give it a 4.5 or 5 when I do mine. I want to 5, but I am not sure I can justify it to others.

November 21st 2012

I won't complain either way (even if you gave it a 1 i wouldn't complain), because to many people complain on here... > Everybody should be allowed to have an opinion.

November 21st 2012

I feel the same. Too many "this is not x" comments. I do sometimes lose my cool, too, but I strongly believe in respectful discussion.

November 21st 2012

Yes, there are way to many dissapointing comments on here. No matter how good of a review a user may write, their critique of another's can still be constructive.

November 21st 2012

I do have to say, and this will be in my review, I feel that "Movement" is the most standout track on
this album.

Jash
November 21st 2012

Read a review for this yesterday and it sounds great, on my list of things to check out before starting my year end list.

November 22nd 2012

Oh my, you will love this thing. This is best of 2012 material for sure.

Adash
January 2nd 2013

Not expecting a review for this. Congratulations and thank you

Ubiquitous, intelligent music

Typhoner
May 1st 2013

It's pretty good. I really like her advocacy for, and strong opinions on, electronic music in general.

Digging: Banks - Goddess

Typhoner
May 1st 2013

Cool Boiler Room set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp7l3PDws-M

lol @ all the surprised looking people - "wth? how can I dance on this stuff!?"