Skrillex
Make It Bun Dem After Hours

1.0
awful

by Andrew Gold CONTRIBUTOR (67 Reviews)
November 21st, 2012 | 460 replies | 16,609 views

Review Summary: A steaming turd in the form of a digital record

Need an excuse to skip out of the office? Need a way to avoid an inevitable family reunion? Need a really good excuse to get out of a really hairy situation? Here's one: listen to this album and you're guaranteed a headache within the next 20 minutes, or your money back! Wait no actually... if you paid for this, you deserve to be scammed.

Well, that's my pitch, and I'll even explain to you why I feel this way. See, the original ‘Make It Bun Dem’ is a collaboration effort between Skrillex and Bob Marley’s youngest son Damian Marley. It's their attempt to pay homage to dubstep's roots, but instead it really comes across as a loathsome disgrace to the genre.

Gone are Skrillex’s catchy hooks and gut-punching drops; in their place are onerous reggae chants and repetitive, uninspired beats. The remixes themselves don’t do enough different to the original song to make it worth hearing again, let alone six more times with each time being more vomit inducing than the last. Thankfully there are some instrumental breaks from the awful sampling of Damian’s vocals in the French Fries and Flinch remixes, which are nothing special by themselves but when surrounded by the filth that encompasses the rest of the EP, these small breaks are somewhat of a godsend.

There really is nothing even remotely redeemable about Make It Bun Dem After Hours. It's fair to say Skrillex reached his peak on Scary Monsters and Nice Sprits and has been going downhill ever since, and this is it: rock bottom. Now he’s left releasing throwaway EPs like this to squeeze every bit of profit he can out of his huge (unfortunate) commercial success, until the public wakes up and realizes that he actually blows.

I recommend this EP to absolutely no one; unless of course, you need to get a headache within the next 20 minutes. In which case, Make It Bun Dem After Hours may be exactly what you’re looking for.

Inanimate Existence A Never-Ending Cycle of AtonementWithin the Ruins Phenomena
Sonic Syndicate Sonic SyndicateOrigin Omnipresent
Muse Dead Star/In Your WorldJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2
1.4
very poor

first 1 review, go easy on me

demigod!
November 20th 2012

New Skrillex? lol. yeah, i bet this sucks hard

good review tho pos

Digging: Failure - Magnified

November 20th 2012

wtf does that title even mean

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

Ire

shit band

IMZA1793
November 21st 2012

"He is most famous for being the pioneer of dubstep, a style that differentiates itself from other electronic subgenres by focusing less on the ‘bleeps’ and more on the ‘wubs’, for lack of better terminology."

Deviant. incoming

dev will fuck you up

Wolfhorde

"pioneer of dubstep"
lolwut

November 21st 2012

He is most famous for being the pioneer of dubstep,

neg

Digging: Banks - Goddess

It translates roughly too "Taking It In The Ass Late At Night" I believe

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

RosaParks

ugh

auberginedreams
November 21st 2012

"Make It Bun Dem After Hours"

what the fuck does this shit even mean

November 21st 2012

trebor already explained it.

auberginedreams
November 21st 2012

ah that's what i thought, just making sure.

RosaParks
November 21st 2012

insurrection stop posing your shitty reviews with your alts

neg

so one of the pioneers of dubstep? idk i always thought he was the one to give it the most notoriety.

hankdee27
November 21st 2012

I liked the review, I thought it was clever and I was able to read the whole way through without getting bored once, so I voted yes on if it was written well or not.

November 21st 2012

Is it really so hard to do even the tiniest bit of research before reviewing something?

November 21st 2012

Yeah, I had the common courtesy to skim through the dubstep Wiki page before writing my Skrillex reviews

November 21st 2012

Speaking of which, even wiki got it right!

20767 Comments

alright i fixed it. not sure why i deserve a neg for one minor mistake though.