Courage My Love
For Now

by Will Robinson STAFF
November 21st, 2012 | 8 replies

Review Summary: A solid debut EP that somehow failed to achieve the fame it probably should have.

Looking back on the release of For Now, it's a little strange that Courage My Love didn't get more support than they did - they seem to be doing everything right. With just over 25000 Facebook fans and only one YouTube video with over 1 million views, it's unclear why the band didn't skyrocket like so many similar groups. After all, their marketing strategy seems rock solid. Hot chick singing and playing guitar? Check. Hot chick playing drums? Check (this alone probably should have doubled the size of their current fanbase alone). Hot chick playing bass? Well, no, but you can't be perfect. Ridiculous music videos that showcase said hot chicks and bassist? Check - just look at "Bridges," filmed on the field at a staged football game that's a bit like A Day To Remember's video for "I'm Made Of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of?". Ridiculous song titles? Check - try "Anchors Make Good Shoes (If You Have Issues)." Going out of their way to appeal to a large potential group of fans (namely geeks)? Check - "I Sell Comics," a free download off of the band's Bandcamp page, uses part of comic don Walt Flanagan's work as lyrics.

But, most importantly, do they make catchy and fun pop punk? Check. For Now is seven songs worth of fantastically upbeat, distorted pop punk, its immediate appeal helped no doubt by lead singer Mercedes Arn-Horn's solid voice and surprisingly above-average guitar skills. One would be inclined to expect that a teenager with a voice almost perfectly cut out for its genre would play guitar for show rather than substance, but the guitars on this EP are actually much more interesting than those of many counterparts, with a few extra layers behind the industry-standard crunchy power chords. A very close comparison point for this band is Aussie pop punk quintet Tonight Alive, with both groups making worthwhile music that's both catchy and created well. Although What Are You So Scared Of? is a slightly more fulfilling and fleshed-out release, no doubt helped by a length almost twice that of For Now, both are good slabs of pop punk that bring out much of what's good in the genre. Traces of songs like "Thank You And Goodnight" and "Starlight" are definitely visible on lead single "Bridges," with its excellently paced chorus that's one of the best pop-punk choruses I've heard in a while thanks to a nice synergy between the vocal harmonization and guitar strumming. Opener "For Now" is similar, with a very good transitions between verses and choruses that keeps all the best elements of pop punk while not sounding fetid or stale.

Unfortunately, this EP doesn't quite have the same kind of variety that, while not absolutely necessary, helps to distinguish very similar releases. To continue the Tonight Alive analogy, this EP doesn't have its respective "Amelia" or "Safe And Sound" - that is, all seven songs are pretty similar. While closer "The River" comes close to giving the release an extra touch of individuality with its slightly slower tempo and different vocal style in the chorus, it's not quite the same as a full-out ballad or slower song in general would be. Also, the EP has its share of missteps, with a terrible metalcore-esque breakdown in "Barricade" that almost ruins the song standing out among other smaller mistakes scattered thinly throughout the release. However, this is still a very solid pop punk release. While it's not going to reinvent anything, For Now is still a very fun collection of songs that succeeds in a way that most good pop punk albums do. We'll have to wait to see if Courage My Love gains any more fame on future releases, fame that people probably expected with this EP. I can safely say, though, that given the quality of For Now, there's a very good chance that happens in the near future.

Ariana Grande My EverythingRustie Green Language
The Bug Angels and DevilsVenetian Snares My Love Is A Bulldozer
Seven Lions Worlds ApartBig Freedia Just Be Free

Originally posted at www.muzikdizcovery.com

Bridges (in case anyone was wondering): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N4ARiSswQo

Honestly a bit shocked this didn't even have an entry in the Sput database. Come on, community, be better.

SgtPepper
November 20th 2012

Good to see another review from you, mate. Have not heard this, but review was good. POS'd.

November 20th 2012

Thanks Paperback! Totally unrelated question for you, though: have you heard of John Hollenbeck? If not, he seems like he'd be right up your alley.

SgtPepper
November 20th 2012

Yeah I know of him, he's a good drummer. Are you into Jazz?

November 21st 2012

I've been getting into it recently, but right now I only know the really classic stuff like Duke Ellington etc. (and John Hollenbeck because one of my teachers loves him).

Omaha
November 21st 2012

Sweet, sweet review. Your fluidity's one of your biggest strengths! Each review's so easy to read, although it's still very professionally written. I found a couple very small things, though, to help you out some.

"its immediate appeal helped no doubt by lead singer Mercedes Arn-Horn's solid voice"

I'd either take out "no doubt," or move it before "helped." Petty, petty stuff, though, and it doesn't matter too much. I just try my best to avoid phrases that add little to the statement.

"A very close comparison point for this band is Aussie pop punk quintet Tonight Alive, with both groups making worthwhile music that's both catchy and created well."

This sentence doesn't say much, besides that they're both catchy and good. Try to think of a more concise way to say it, and something else to say instead of "created well."

"both are good slabs of pop punk that bring out much of what's good in the genre."

Again, the pros of pop-punk are just a little unclear here. You do mention them in other parts of the review, though. So while it isn't exactly necessary to mention specific aspects of the music in this bit, it may make more sense to the reader.

"with a terrible metalcore-esque breakdown in "Barricade" that almost ruins the song standing out among other smaller mistakes scattered thinly throughout the release."

What exactly was so terrible about it? If you threw in at least a very brief summary of that, it'd make this part more effective.

These are all things that aren't at all necessary. Your writing's increasingly difficult to find any gripes with, and so I find very minor ones and bring them up. Very nice work, man! You make me proud. :3

Kronzo
November 21st 2012

I know these girls! They really blew up since they first started

November 21st 2012

Thanks again Jacob- really helpful feedback! I'd say my biggest problem right now is figuring out what says something and what doesn't, and I'll continue to work on stuff in the future.