Green Day
1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours

good

by hankdee27 USER (19 Reviews)
November 20th, 2012 | 18 replies | 823 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Well, I actually gave this thing a full listen, all the way through. I came out exhausted in about the same way your parents would be, as if they had 'been lovin' to hard'.

More of a garage rock/demo album, 1,039 hours doesn't stack up to something a bit more enjoyable, like Dookie or Warning. This record is like peeking in your clean-cut grass that you just mowed, and finding a pile of *** from a certain dog that you can't exactly strangle him because of his cute appearance and mannerisms, but you still want to say 'damn that little pup' under your breath as you prepare to go inside for a plastic bag.

After the recent releases of the first two installments in Green Day's trilogy, ¡Uno! and ¡Dos!, and the seemingly massive amounts of criticism that followed, I was on a mission. I set out on a journey to listen to Green Day's entire discography. Why you may ask? Well, I wanted to see the steady progression that could have lead to such terrible abominations (I don't have an opinion about ¡Uno! or ¡Dos! yet, because I have not yet listened to either). If their new releases could have been that terrible, then I wondered if anything else before that was. I knew of course about the rock operas, American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown (and both of the aforementioned Dookie and Warning), but I had no intention of ever listening to earlier efforts. So, after a listen of the disc, I feel quite worn out. Not in the way that it was a riveting experience, but that in the way that 1,039 Hours was such a chore to listen to.

The opener, "At The Library" is purely the well-known description of Green Day as three-chord punk-pop, in the sort of way that it gives a satisfactory sound to my ears. However, at about the fifth track, the self-titled "Green Day", I start to fall asleep. All of the songs end up sounding the same, and I don't much care for the lyrical content. While I do know the the usual lyrical content of Green Day consists of the '***-it-all-who-cares' nature, it winds up being rather repetitive and redundant. Dookie's impact on a listener was more extreme, because of the short 40-minute time period. Warning was more enjoyable because of the experimentation (not an extremely experimental record, just a little more variation for one made by Green Day).

This album just winds up being to bloated at 58 minutes long, and to samey. The songs are all meshed together in one singular experience, and not the one that flows right. If you listened to three or four songs off of the album, sure it's certainly listenable and amusing. This is not one for the impatient though. Just as a personal preference, I would have been happier with an EP containing the first four songs. That would not have stretched out to far, and would have left me and a few others craving for another dose. If you have Billie Joe Armstrong hanging on your wall, then go right ahead and have a masturbation session with 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours. If your another one who pisses upon the very thought of Green Day, don't bother. I think I'm going to skip that quest I mentioned at the beginning and try something else that won't leave me ***ed.

Recommended Tracks:
At The Library
I Was There
Disappearing Boy
Green Day

THEESatisfaction awE naturalEKendrick Lamar good kid, m.A.A.d city
Marilyn Manson Antichrist SuperstarNirvana In Utero
A Perfect Circle Thirteenth StepKorn Korn
Pedro B. (3)
A formative album that sounds like a prototype for the next few. It shows promise, but it only just ...

Adam Downer STAFF (3)

Chris Maziejka (4)

You listened to it once?

None of the best songs are on your recommended tracks either were you watching tv with the album as background noise? You aren't good at listening to punk obviously

sixdegrees

dat summary

Digging: Tam Tam - Polarize

GiaNXGX
November 19th 2012

Fucking subjective, stfu 'trve punk listener'.

You listened to it once?

Hey man, its just an opinion. I can see why you would say this, but I don't see why we can't have different opinionated views on just one teeny album. Hmm?

November 19th 2012

I'm fucking defending Green Day how true punk or whatever can I be? We can have different opinions I just want everyone who reads your review to know that your opinions happen to suck

Here's the thing: there are sweet songs on here. You didn't mention them. You are ruining potential joy for listeners.

Also, YOU LISTENED TO IT ONE FUCKING TIME

November 19th 2012

My opinion sucks? That's not really fair reasoning, its just an opinion. You're right about me not mentioning some songs, but cmon!

GiaNXGX
November 19th 2012

Here's a tip hank: DON'T GIVE A SINGLE FUCK.

November 19th 2012

Maybe all of your opinions don't suck but if you like this type of music you would realize that Road to Acceptance is a badass old school pop punk song and if you listened more than once you would wonder how Paper Lanterns isn't more popular that song is fun as fuck to listen to

bungy vs. plebs

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

November 19th 2012

At least one of your opinions is questionable anyway

You aren't reacting to me like a retard and now I feel like a dick

November 19th 2012

"at about the fifth track, the self-titled "Green Day", I start to fall asleep"

The track after that is the best song up to that point mayn

November 20th 2012

Poor review. It shows a lack of research (this is actually a combination of their first album and the 2 previous EPs), has excessive swearing, does not go into enough detail about why this album is poorer than what came next (even though it is), and reads like a childish, immature teenager's rant. Sorry.

November 20th 2012

Oh yeah, and listening to it one time = big no no for credible reviewers (hadn't picked up on that until I read the comments).

My favourite songs off here happen to be At The Library, Going To Pasalacqua (which you didn't even mention), Why Do You Want Him, 409 In Your Coffeemaker (which is perhaps the best on here and you didn't even mention), The One That I Want.

Taste is indeed subjective, so you have a point there, but it seems to me like you were predisposed to half-ass your assessment of this album - which, again, is a no-no. I've listened to the worst albums imaginable, that made me want to switch them off after the first listen, at least twice before reviewing just to see if something changed in my opinion of it. !Dos!, for instance, went from a 2 on the first and second listens to a 1.5. Reign In Blood went from a sympathy 3 to a 3.5. See how important it is to listen to something multiple times, even when you dislike it?

Neg'd, but this is one of those "you can easily improve" negs. Just don't be like me when my Maths teacher told me that in 9th grade - I ended up having an even worse grade on the next paper! XD Put some more effort into it, and you'll be fine.

November 20th 2012

Spelling "tonne" the British way there souleater?

Fair enough ya bugger :D

insomniac15
November 20th 2012

The album is great and it doesn't sound like a garage rock/demo album (a garage rock doesn't necessarily mean it's a demo), Also, one listen isn't enough, you should give it more spins before writing a review.

"Dookie's impact on a listener was more extreme, because of the short 40-minute time period." Insomniac has 34 minutes, so it should be their best record ? You didn't express your idea the way you were thinking it.

One last thing, the second paragraph isn't necessary for the review. You need to develop the ideas more and take care at when to use "your" and "you're" (" If your another one who pisses upon the very thought of Green Day, don't bother.").

The things written here are just constructive criticism and not because I like the record and I just want to be an ass and point out mistakes.

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

writing a review.

you were thinking it.

very thought of Green Day, don't bother.").

want to be an ass and point out mistakes.

Well, I thank you for at least giving some constructive critique. I know, I have only had one listen
of this album, but maybe you're right. (Did you see that, you're, I'm already improving the basic
components of English speech), so thanks and I like this album, its just not as good (in my opinion)
as some others I've heard.

November 20th 2012

And... Why do all reviews need to sound official. It's just the same old review over and over again if you write it the same way....