Regina Spektor
What We Saw from the Cheap Seats

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (108 Reviews)
November 17th, 2012 | 143 replies | 3,635 views

Review Summary: Utilizing her creativity and incredible voice, Regina Spektor has crafted one of the most beautiful and quirky albums of 2012.

Having never heard Regina’s earlier albums, this review won’t be making any comparisons to her highly acclaimed works such as Soviet Kitsch. Instead, my goal is simply to explain why What We Saw From The Cheap Seats is not only an enjoyable pop release, but one of the best albums of 2012. Such a statement is always met with doubt or skepticism, but there’s a certain charm in Spektor’s music that makes her really hard not to enjoy, even for those who aren’t usually into the pop genre.

As one might expect from a pop album, one of the most rewarding aspects of Spektor’s 2012 release is found in her incredible vocals. Unlike some pop singers, she sounds quirky and highly original which keeps the album from sounding like just another pop release. She’s labeled as “Indie-Pop” and it’s not hard to see why. Rather than rely on cheap gimmicks like mainstream pop artists the album is overflowing with creativity such as heard on ‘Oh Marcello’ or the third track ‘Don’t Leave Me (Ne me quitte pas)‘. The latter is one of the most upbeat and likeable songs on the record and Spektor sings in French in the chorus, but the use of trumpets really brings the song to life. Other songs such as ‘Ballad of a Politician’ also show Spektor’s not afraid to try something new. The track is highly satirical and sarcastic, but in a brilliant way that only a talented singer/songwriter could pull off. The instrumentation is lighter than most the songs on the album as the song relies mostly on Spektor’s sassy but loveable attitude.

Apart from the more upbeat and experimental sounding tracks, What We Saw From The Cheap Seats is packed with beautiful piano laced ballads. ‘Firewood’ contains perhaps Spektor’s most gorgeous vocals on the record and it is accompanied by lighthearted piano notes. ‘How’ is nearly as enjoyable and follows a similar song structure, but one of the nicest surprises on the album is found in ‘The Party.’ Unlike the other ballads it is extremely peppy and just forces a smile onto the listeners face with it’s joyful and upbeat nature.

Whether you’re looking for unique and upbeat pop songs or some more laid back pop ballads, there is enough variety on Spektor’s newest release to please just about anybody. The young indie pop star has been making waves ever since her breakthrough album “Soviet Kitsch” and although I haven’t heard that album, this release is sure to keep please longtime fans as it stands out as one of the most impressive releases of 2012. From Regina’s beautiful voice and the somber piano to the creative lyrics and song structures, What We Saw From The Cheap Seats is a fantastic and charming album.

Trvth ApproachingAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
The Byrds Mr. Tambourine ManSomos Temple of Plenty
Fireworks Oh, Common LifeA Slow Descent On Ganymede
Brendan Schroer STAFF (4.5)
Truly remarkable....

SowingSeason STAFF (5)
What we saw from the cheap seats was Regina Spektor release another album. What we heard was her be...

19383 Comments

kind of a short and sweet review but this album needs more attention.

ballad of a politician:

Firewood:

Don't Leave Me (Ne Me Quitte Pas)

Digging: Musk Ox - Woodfall

19383 Comments

thanks will do yeah i don't listen to much pop but this is fantastic bumping to a 4.5

spegina rektor

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

19383 Comments

did i spell it like that? haha where?

November 17th 2012

Summary: What we saw from the cheap seats was Regina Spektor release her lowest rated album yet

19383 Comments

this is the only one i've heard but it's nearly perfect IMO

crazy

Tyrael

20714 Comments

neg

19383 Comments

hehe review's short and doesn't do the album justice but it's become one of my favorite releases of 2012

DarthMann

nm

Aids
November 17th 2012

you really need to get her other albums as soon as possible if you think this is a 4.5

but then now that I've set that, I bet you will check them all out but still like this one the most in the end. first-album-itis, happens all the time (happened to me with Spektor albums too, no regrets)

Digging: Ought - More Than Any Other Day

@Aids,

I'm planning on it. I had this as a 4 but bumped to a 4.5 because i think pretty much every song is great. i don't have the deluxe version just the one with 11 songs not sure if that makes a difference.

Apollo

Great review

I hate this chick and all of her music, do not understand the appeal at all

thanks sorry you don't like her : (

XingKing
November 17th 2012

This music is really irritating but nice write up!

OmairSh
November 17th 2012

Seems intriguing, there's always room for light hearted songs. Good review Atari :-), negged.

Digging: Jimi Hendrix - The Cry of Love