Joanna Newsom
Ys

by Sapertime USER (6 Reviews)
November 17th, 2012 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Beautifully executed folk/indie album that is as amazing as it is avante garde.

Joanna Newsom is one amazing talented artist. The music that she creates here is moving and passionate and free. There's been times where I've some couldn't get used to her voice but about 90% of people I've shown this album to fall in love with it and her voice instantaneously. Imagine clean vocal style that is like Mary Poppins and Bjork combined. There's also a jazzy style to her vocals as well which tend to jump instantaneously from singing to talking to octave skips and it just gets better.

The music here is a perfect balance of classical/folk and indie. The styles share the spotlight almost evenly. I really appreciate the musical passages here as they are just executed very well. There are so many techniques used to drive the mood of the album up. Such as in "Monkey and Bear" that is both happy and depressive, yet deep feeling. The blend of strings and piano/harp takes you through an amazing and visualative journy beyond what I've ever felt before.

The music here is very formless too like water. Tempos and emotional sections take form and transition so perfectly you will never twitch, I guarantee it. Monkey and Bear contains some obscure chordings towards the latter part of the track which fit so perfectly, its both fun and mysterious, and enchanting like wolves eyes gazing upon its pride-land. Then at times you will feel like you're in a movie, its really weird but so gratifying.

"Sawdust and Diamonds" really brings out the vocals and puts them up for display. The bjork'esq falsettos and run-arounds are perfect above a harp apregio chord that builds layers as the lyrics take us through journeys in depth. The approach Joanna uses is so fresh I can't say it enough. Imagine all those albums u must listen to that have generic structures. That's why you should check this. I highly recommend this album to everybody.

Obliveon NemesisMorgoth Cursed
Blaspheme D├ęsir de VampyrDisconnect Enough Blame To Go Around
Thanatopsis Anatomize
4.2
Brendan Schroer (4.5)
In a league of its own....

J Templin (5)
The Southern Gothic tradition continued....

Lewis P. STAFF (4.5)
The system of strings tugs on the tip of my wings....

November 17th 2012

Fuck yeah this is so good!

Digging: Dioramic - Supra

Chrisjon89
November 17th 2012

dunno if i agree with the Bjork comparisons. I've never heard anyone quite like her. on Joanna's latest album I saw people mentioning Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell as comparisons, and I can see where they're coming from sometimes saying Joni.

But yeah this album and Have One On Me are awesome. I saw her live last year and it was amazing.

November 17th 2012

A masterpiece, will read this review later

dylantheairplane
November 17th 2012

Funny to login here and see this on top of the review list seeing as I just went to the record store and bought this a few hours ago

November 17th 2012

Had this on vinyl forever, still to spin it unfortunately

RagingNoob
November 17th 2012

Great review, pos'd. I heard this girl's music on YouTube for the first time today, it blew my mind. Will definitely be getting a copy of this album.

November 17th 2012

Good on you, start basically anywhere with her. Emily is the most beautiful song ever, maybe.

November 17th 2012

Yeah I agree on Bjork similarity, although I'd say Kate Bush is more apt (you can really hear the Bush influence on Have One On Me, '81' etc.)

November 17th 2012

Another one I should ge tbut keep delaying. I think this lady has a voice that you either love or hate. I love it.

November 17th 2012

one of the best albums ever made and I fully agree with the bjork comparisons

pos on the rev, good job for your first review

Digging: Kangding Ray - Solens Arc

November 17th 2012

I remember telling you about Joanna Newsom a week or so ago @Captain, I'm glad you're digging it!

November 17th 2012

one of the best albums ever fo sho

Digging: Arthur Russell - World of Echo

November 17th 2012

And she's a pretty lady.

hell yes.

m/

Youtellme

Album rules

November 17th 2012

Have One On Me and Milk Eyed Mender are great albums as well, although the latter isn't as mature as the 2nd two.

indeed

indeed wack, indeed

so fresh, so earthy, so original, so trve