Samothrace
Reverence to Stone

good

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (196 Reviews)
November 16th, 2012 | 21 replies | 1,261 views

Review Summary: Past all the trials and tribulations ‘Reverence To Stone’ needs a sense of patience to be accepted completely.

A shift in members, issues with former drug habits and yet Samothrace are willing to produce music. They haven’t hit the high peaks but with Reverence To Stone they have set up camp at the mountain they’re about to climb. With two tracks the album itself is quite brief; the first of which aptly named ‘When We Emerged’ provides a nihilistic, sludgy approach winding back and forth around a typically slow tempo. This track is as much of an example of the promise this group has but it’s missing what the debut Life’s Trade or even acts such as Until Death Overtake Me has. The tracks are well presented and have all the fundamentals of a great funeral doom track but for Samothrace, they lack the execution to pull this off to the best of their capabilities.

The second and longer track ‘A Horse of Our Own’ waddles on for just over twenty minutes and features a better sense of song writing for engaging the listener. There is still that slight sludge aspect to the track that helps the track progress without becoming too boring for the listener. It doesn’t feel like a tiring listen and the tempo even shifts during the song creating a growing intensity that will gain momentum or loosen its grip on the listener, drawing them in and then letting go completely. Samothrace takes aspects of your blackest metal, sludge, blues melodies and minimalistic doom metal to create a solid albeit grudging listen. The music isn’t exactly tiring but there are instances that do lull the listener away from the music itself. Wailing screamed vocal lines echo in the back of tracks and predominantly the instrumental capacity of both tracks takes centre stage. The vocals interestingly enough when used sparcely adds to the overall atmosphere that’s created without overpowering or restricting the ringing chords and cymbal splashes. The screams help add a depth to tracks that would have been lost if they were a constant part of the noise.

Samothrace haven’t completely bounced back from the debut Life’s Trade, they seem to have built upon it though. With the record coming in at just over thirty minutes listeners are left to wonder what the inclusion of another track may have done to the record. Chances are it would’ve helped maintain the overall atmosphere that was being built, not to mention reinforce the doom aspect of the album. The album in itself does provide enough of a sludge holistic filled atmosphere thrown together with some post rock aspects to be a steady listen on its own terms but when compared to the debut or even other acts it unfortunately falls short of leaving the desired impression. What Samothrace can take from this however is that they have the right gear to climb the mountain, they just need to start the ascent.

Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
Miserable Failure HopeBong Stoner Rock
King Henry VIII (4)
DIY doom...

Life's Trade

FictionalFlames
November 16th 2012

2 reviews, not a lot of users rating the album.

#sputnik kvlt

koo rev, pos

koo al

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

November 16th 2012

I do that sometimes, thanks guys. Check out the debut at least for these guys.

FictionalFlames

I might

November 16th 2012

I've been in a very bm mood lately, apart from the wife and her pitbull last.fm play on my pc. It's pretty much been bm for the win.

November 16th 2012

2 reviews, not a lot of users rating the album.

That's actually 3.

Athom
November 16th 2012

I actually really like this album. This has been such a solid year for heavy music.

November 16th 2012

I thought i prefered 2011's releases, but after i went through some of the stuff from this year i might have a new winner.

Athom

November 16th 2012

^That is a healthy fucking list. I might have to have a listen to some of those after work today.

November 16th 2012

Man, havent jammed these guys in years.

Balls likey?

osmark86
January 21st 2014

p damn solid.

2012 Comments

Would have to say this is underrated. I really enjoy this

nice bump

Thanks man

April 17th 2014

You should contribute a rating.

Yeah man but I need to give this more of a listen. I'll probably rate this a 4

btw represses are up on clear and purple

April 19th 2014