Pharoah Sanders
Karma

by ClemintineBree USER (12 Reviews)
November 16th, 2012 | 32 replies | 2,446 views

Release Date: 1969 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Oh Dear - Piglet

Without a doubt jazz can be one of the most scientifically forward moving genres. With the fusions it has undergone it has touch the likes of electronica, metal, rock, ambient, blues, the list goes on. Besides pointless intro's this album is basically amazing.

It's best to look at this album as an expiremental jazz album. I know that sounds weird because one could say that jazz is already explorative enough to already be considered jazz but this album Karma is beyond your typical jazz music. This album gathers so many layers, so many features, so many amazing-beautifully planned out passages. It's overall mellow and easy going on the ears but its not smooth jazz, this basically feels like music that was just meant to be, as something that is a unique gem amongst all it's contemporaries.

Karma is only a two track album with the first track, The Creator Has A Master Plan; a 32 minute journey, and I repeat, journey of song. It starts with amazing smooth jazz patterns with raindrop-percussion sounds. ARe you with me??? ok great i'll continue. At about the 2 1/2 minute mark we are introduced to some nice groovy congo drum beats that are very mellow under a layered musical attack of sax, flute, and ethnic percussive bliss. Up to this point the track is percieve as really amazing smooth avanta garde jazz. This goes on for about 10 minutes until awesome bitches brew vibes fade out as the true releasing of jazz jizz unleashes. At this piont you have just fallen into the rabbits hole. That whole first 10 minutes was just a warm up of your senses. We are brought back to a simpler foundation that slowly and effotlessly builds into complete chaos until you realize you actually sitting down in a circus with all the racket and comotion but its all so blissful. Holy hell there's even yodolling too!! I mean hell yeah!!. The slow transitions of this build over about a 20 minute span will literally throw your pyche into the narliest trip you've ever experienced. And ofcourse like the brilliant musicians they are the track slow peels of the layers as it ends. I love this album.

The ending second track Colors is just a very smooth mellow 5 minute track that is enjoyable but I've always looked at it as filler and an easy way to cool off but damn after that epic first track im usually amped up and just want to grab my guitar and jam or run around the block five times.

Get this album now guys. IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD THIS YOU ARE GREATLY MISSING OUT.

Echolyn Suffocating the BloomSoul Cycle Soul Cycle II
Monolithe Monolithe IIINecroven Worship of Humiliation
Tidal Force NebulaThe Caretaker Persistent Repetition of Phrases
4.3

Funeralopolis
November 16th 2012

only finished the first song but it slays

Digging: Sweet Smoke - Just A Poke

November 16th 2012

yea that first track is really cool

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

YankeeDudel
November 16th 2012

damn this didnt have a review we need a jazz renaissance on this site feel me?

Digging: Croatian Amor - Genitalia Garden

GiaNXGX
November 16th 2012

Feel ya, I was just thinking about reviewing this yesterday. Clemintine's good shit.
Paysage, underground osdm, drone/ambient, and now avant-garde jazz, kewl.

GiaNXGX
November 16th 2012

"Forward moving" ? Perhaps forward thinking (sounds better).

You didn't mentioned the musicians that participated on Pharoah's ensemble; the 2nd paragraph is badly descriptive. What
are you going for with stuff like " ARe you with me??? ok great i'll continue." & "Holy hell there's even yodolling too!! I mean
hell yeah!!." Humor shouldn't take away from a review's professionality.. Not gonna pos nor neg but huge props for reviewing
this, keep writing nig

SgtPepper
November 16th 2012

Damn, I really wanted to be the first to review this.

Review is pretty good, but like Gian said, you didnt go into enough depth with this album. I mean it's only two songs, but there's certainly so much to talk about. For example Sander's really dynamic sax work here, the guy pretty much takes the melody where he wants in "Creator". Also, I dont think the intros are pointless, you have to remember that this is meant to be "trance" Jazz, the buildups are very important in setting the cosmic mood. Overall, you did a great job with the review. There's some spelling and grammar errors that you should look over though.

Anyway, have a POS for reviewing this gem.

Chrisjon89
November 16th 2012

i dunno if any other album made me =O 'wtf' as much as this on the first run through. i had no idea what i was getting myself into. album makes me happy.

Digging: Ichiko Aoba - 0%

SaneTBP
January 21st 2013

Album is one of the greatest things I've come across in jazz, the instrumentation is superb and ohmygosh the atmosphere is enthralling

mcg182
February 16th 2013

This album felt like a spiritual journey that ended to quickly for me, so I'd like to ask: are there any other jazz albums like this that anyone could recommend?

Chrisjon89
February 16th 2013

Jewels of Thought by Pharoah Sanders is worth a look. or Summun, Bukmun, Umyun. neither is quite this good for me but still awesome. Black Unity kicks ass too but that's a different vibe.

666Micrograms
April 24th 2013

fuck ya, this is like a shamanic spiritual cleansing in the darkest reaches of the Peruvian rainforest, presented within the medium of jazz.

jefflebowski
June 9th 2013

journey to the one is arguably sanders' best album apart from this and it's not even on the database ffs

Digging: Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

ethixx
June 24th 2013

needs attention here

Chortles

this is insane

Digging: Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura

October 30th 2013

I actually reviewed. One of my many alts that music to a video store near u.

PunchforPunch