Rage Against the Machine
Rage Against the Machine

by Ian USER (106 Reviews)
February 19th, 2006 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

When you read these words, bear in mind I have no clue what review I’m typing for. I’ve been trying to decide that for the last twenty-minutes, starting reviews, but only to end them a few sentences after they were started. So what am I to do? Honestly, I have no clue. I need something creative, something bold, and something original. Well, let me think on that for another few seconds, and then the review will truly commence.

Ah-ha! I have it! Rage Against The Machine’s debut, self-titled album, Rage Against The Machine.

Yes, this is indeed, creative, bold, and original. Believe it, or not, this was released way back in 1992; Kurt Cobain was alive then. Frank Zappa too! Even though the band is no longer together the affects the band had are that long lasting on the minds of today! This was released not long after the end of the Reagan/Bush legacy, as well as the ending of a punk revival. Strange that Rage Against The Machine was so successful then because they represented the same thing punk did.

Vocalist Zack De La Rocha’s rap style combined with the bass grooves of Timmy C., and distorted guitar riffs/solos from Tom Morrelo made the term, rap/rock famous, and they are today one of the few who ever deserved the term. Despite the late 20th, early 21st century use of rap/rock, this album is heavily influenced upon by bands of the sixties, and seventies. The album itself is over fifty-minutes long, which is a length that had been shot to hell with by the eighties. Tim Commerford’s bass lines were obviously influenced by men such as Roger Glover (Deep Purple), and John Entwistle (The Who). He had a large hand in writing the songs, which is evident in the album opener, and fan favorite, Bombtrack. Then there is also the classic song, Killing in the Name where every listener could tell what a cohesive unit the string section was with the bass, and guitar going together so well to create one of rocks most memorable riffs ever; only to be outdone by the first thirty-eight seconds to the track Wake Up. However, while Commerford’s grooves are utterly fascinating, Tom Morrelo’s playing becomes rather tedious after a while. His use of effects is cool, but seriously gets boring after a while. Zack De La Rocha’s rapping style is appreciated, and works within the music. Clearly the whole bands intention is to use the vocals to get a message across. Of rebelling, and standing up towards those higher-powered figures of the world who they claim are corrupted. Zack does this all really well, and successfully creates a mature, but angsty feeling. As Tim Commerford put it best, “We made millions off of that one line, “*** you, I won’t do what you tell me"".

Clearly Rage Against The Machine is something to be remembered, but does have its faults. As already mentioned, Tom Morrelo’s playing can become repetitive after awhile, and even annoying such as the repeating, wailing guitar note played in Fistful of Steel. Then there is drummer Brad Wilk, who utterly fails to show any talent behind the kit. While he meets the needs of providing a rhythm, he does it in a boring fashion. Also, this album as a whole can be hard to get through in one total listen as it fairly well fails to completely grab attention because of the guitar parts. This is a great album, and had a lot of influence on a generation of music lovers, but isn’t exactly a necessity to own.

Standout Tracks: Bombtrack, Killing in the Name, Settle For Nothing, Wake Up, Township Rebellion

Kripes’ gives Rage Against The Machine’s debut album a strong recommendation.

Z-Ro CocaineEmery The Weak's End
Papa Roach Old Friends from Young YearsLinkin Park Living Things
Krizz Kaliko Kickin' and Screamin'Madina Lake From Them, Through Us, To You

February 19th 2006

respect for not licking RATM's ass like most critics would.

i pretty much agree with everything in ur review.

and before anyone else does this.....

February 19th 2006

This album kicks so much ass. Timmy C is a legend. Nice review.

RATM > Soundgardern > Audioslave. No way is any of them better than Rage.This Message Edited On 02.19.06

February 19th 2006

Decent review, you could have said more about the overall sound of the album and told us about the whole atmosphere this album has.
You shouldn't have to say why you reviewed the album, this is a review site so feel free to review anything you'd like because it's nice to read different opinions on the same album.
My friend has this and I have yet to give it a listen. I might just do so now that you gave it a 4/5 and I like most of what I have heard from Rage.

February 19th 2006

I agree about Fistful of Steel. I don't find Tom's playing annoying most of the time, but that riff does get annoying quickly.

I used to hate Zack's voice, but recently I started to get more into RATM, and it's grown on me. Now they're one of my favorite bands.

Nice Review.

February 19th 2006

I can't stand Chris Cornell in the least bit. I love these guys and this CD. My favorite songs are Settle For Nothing and Wake Up.

I used to have this CD.

Thankfully, somebody stole it.

February 19th 2006

I think your review doesn't reflect a 4.

More a 3, which is what this album deserves.

February 19th 2006

meh band and meh review.

5.5/5 :p.

This is an amazing CD, my favorite in the genre. This Message Edited On 02.19.06

April 17th 2006

Nice review. Much better than mine

April 17th 2006

quote:meh band

yeah i don't know how to work the qoute dealy.

anyways. MEH BAND!!

your face is meh,galapogos

April 23rd 2006

This is RATM's best album.

Activista anti-MTV
October 29th 2006

Sweet review Kripes.

February 2nd 2007

Well, good album, short but sweet review.

February 2nd 2007

So fun to listen to when your driving

dub sean
May 16th 2007

nice review, I just disagree that Timmy had more input into the album than Morello did as you seem to say. Morello's guitar lines are insane, while the bass is not as noticable, in my opinion.