Green Day
iDOS!

by Green Baron USER (82 Reviews)
November 14th, 2012 | 23 replies | 2,025 views

Review Summary: Two is better than one.

Two months ago, Green Day unleashed ¡Uno!, which was half good and half bad. Now, for their tenth album, Green Day go the garage-rock way. Now, believe me when I say I didn't think ¡Uno! was terrible. It had its shining moments, but it also had its fails. Now, with ¡Dos!, they have their shining moments, and there are also some failures, but there aren't as many failures on ¡Dos!.

Let's start with the bad: the opening track. Clocking in at one minute and six seconds, "See You Tonight" features lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong strumming his acoustic guitar with background noises of crackling to make the song sound old. Well, let me tell you now, it sucks. It doesn't work at all, and it doesn't really serve that good of a purpose. We could have just opened the CD with track two, "F**k Time"... which is also a flop. Armstrong tries to sound seductive and sexy, but it comes off as generic and stupid. And speaking of stupid, ¡Dos!' main flaw is the lyrics. On "Wild One", we get this nonsense: "she gave up on Jesus for living on Venus" and "I’m drinking the Kool-Aid, I jumped on the grenade". From "F**k Time", Billie exercises his love for BDSM by proclaiming during sex, he wants to "choke you till you're blue in the face". In "Lady Cobra", he mentions the Black Eyed Peas, while saying "Do you wanna play a game of twister like a dirty old man with a babysitter?" and in "Makeout Party", he asks "Do you want to spin the bottle, play a game of chicken?"
Besides the lyrics, another flop is "Nightlife", which features the female rapper Lady Cobra from the group Mystic Knights of the Cobra. Billie's voice is electronically enhanced (SELLOUT!) and the song features a hell of a lot of rap (MORE SELLOUT!) which crap lines like "hope there's more in your pants then a bus route" and "your sugar-coated balls". Nice trying to be sexy, Ms. Cobra.

Oh, and the last track is a "special" track because it's the only 13th song in the trilogy: the other albums have 12. The special track is "Amy", a tribute song to Amy Winehouse, which is rather sweet, but also NOT A TRIBUTE TRACK. The chorus has lines like "Do you wanna be a friend of mine", which makes it sound like Billie is talking to a 10 year old. She's dead, Billie. She can't "be your friend", or "write you a lullaby", or "have this last dance". It comes off as half-tribute track and half-love song.

As for the rest of the songs: "Stop When the Red Lights Flash". It's a fast, catchy, kick-ass punk rock track with a hook of "I'll make you surrender!" "Lazy Bones" is an ode to being a lazy ass, like "Longview", just not as good, plus it robs "Give Me Novacaine" off of American Idiot. Despite the said monstrosities, "Wild One" is a good, slow song that doesn't accomplish much other than take up four minutes of album time. "Makeout Party" is a fast, garage-rock song that has Billie singing as fast as he can to rack up lines like "I think I wanna rub it the wrong way" and "Gonna get crowded with bad intention".

The real garage rock starts at "Stray Heart", the first single, with its catchy hook of "Anything that I want, I want from you, but I just can't have you". The next track, "Ashley", is fast punk garage rock with lyrics about drugs. "Baby Eyes" is just like Ashley, but they sound completely different, with the lyrics this time being about... well, I don't know.

"Lady Cobra" is filler. "Nightlife" sucks. "Wow! That's Loud" is catchy garage rock about looking at your friend's slutty clothing. And "Amy" is half good, half bad.

My final verdict? ¡Dos! easily trumps ¡Uno!, but has major lyrical flaws and some horrid tracks. The other tracks are mainly solid, with some filler thrown in between.

PROS
---------
The garage rock sound.
We get some fast, catchy punk.
"Stop When the Red Lights Flash"
"Stray Heart"
"Ashley"
"Baby Eyes"
"Wow! That's Loud"

CONS
----------
The horrible lyrics.

The Offspring SmashThe Used Imaginary Enemy
2.2
poor

November 14th 2012

no way is this better than uno both suck but this one REALLY sucks

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

I would rather listen to Two of Hearts by Stacey Q

Digging: Banner Pilot - Souvenir

uziclip
November 14th 2012

sorry but since when garage rock sound is a pro?

FromDaHood
November 14th 2012

'there are some fails' is not a proper phrase

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

Minus.
November 14th 2012

This album couldnt be much worse than iUno...could it?

Cygnatti

20129 Comments

"sorry but since when garage rock sound is a pro?"

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

insomniac15
November 14th 2012

@MinusDrummer - it's not. it has the same share of bad songs and good ones. check it out.

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

November 14th 2012

Buy two get one free would be a great marketing line.

And greenlinkinmuse , I find the criticism from most reviewers towards the lyrics strange. You are assuming that Green Day is too stupid to make deep lyrics, and thus you think any lyrics they put out that aren't simple are just bad attempts at being deep. We praise other bands for their great lyrics, yet no one can except that Billy Joe is a mindful human being just like everyone else. "She gave up on Jesus for living on Venus." Let's think about that for a second. That could mean a girl close to Billy stopped believing in God in exchange for a crazy, dirty, even unearthly life style, and it impacted Billie's perspective on her and the way people can change dramatically.

Just remember the mind set these guys are in when they are making the music. It is really down to earth but in a poetic fashion. That is just some thing that makes Green Day itself.

demigod!
November 14th 2012

look at this guys username, of course he digs it he's one of those alt boys

Alt boys? You bet.

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

Soaringmuse
November 14th 2012

I haven't handed out a neg yet but are you 15? You write like a highschool freshman (non-magnet program trained I might add). Your name doesn't contribute to your credibility either LOL.

demigod!
November 14th 2012

he 5'd UNO, DOS, and TRES. has to be a troll.

November 14th 2012

I 5'd Uno Dos and Tre before they came out to balance the 1 votes.

November 14th 2012

Oh, and soaringmuse, I'm 12. Not a high school freshmen.

November 15th 2012

I don't believe you. No one has a vocabulary like that at age 10.

The other problem is the fact that your personal score for Dos is 5/5 yet your review rating is 3.5. And by the way, balancing out the score with 5s is just as bad as balancing out the score with 1s. I have been defending Green Day lately but I wouldn't really be offended if the average score went even lower from here. Fans of the albums like you and me will later be able to look back at this as one of the more under appreciated albums of Green Day's discography, similar to what happened with Warning.

November 15th 2012

okay fine, i'm 12. What do you want me to do, give my personal score the honest 3.5?

November 15th 2012

Users should be honest about their scores, so if you think the album is a 5 then keep it, but if you really believe it is a 3.5 then change it. Fake and meaningless ratings just add up to a meaningless score.

uziclip
November 16th 2012

i mean...garage rock sounds cool when coming from a garage rock band. green day is not a garage rock band. green day is an overproduced band emulating garage rock sound here, and it always sucks! especially when mixed up with pop punk.

GreetingsOrionar
November 16th 2012

The user response here disappoints me. This site wasn't totally "Hey look, a band that is finding continued mainstream success. Lets immediately vote them a 1!" Get off of your pompous, indie-or-die, high horse. Great music does not come from popularity OR lack-thereof.
Green Day is continuing in staying true to whatever the fuck they want to do. That said, i also don't like people that blindly fangirl. In my opinion, Uno was sub-par, possibly my least favorite green day album. Dos however, is very good. It's energetic at the right times, the songs are explosive, sometimes suggestive, but never disingenuous.
There is one track, however, that is an exception to this: Nightlife. It is quite possibly the worst song that has ever had the name Green Day on it. It is worthy of a delete before transferring the album to your mp3 player.
Other than that track, this was a high-energy, entertaining album. I look forward to Tre! in December.

sixdegrees