Reverse The Curse
Hither and Yon

by welljesuschrist USER (15 Reviews)
November 11th, 2012 | 8 replies | 818 views

Review Summary: Interesting, diverse and eschewing easy categorisation, Reverse The Curse's debut is a masterpiece.

If anyone tells you Reverse the Curse sound like Brand New, they really don't. Whilst admittedly the comparison sparked my initial interest, there's little here that sounds like any era of Lacey's ever evolving outfit, be it Deja's wordy emo confessionals or the abrasive noise-rock of Daisy.

Opener 'Bell, Book & Candle' is more akin to indie rock titans …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead's 'Relative Ways' than anything by Long Island's finest. And on 'Seasons', vocalist Ed Starcher channels Planes Mistaken for Stars' Gared O'Donnell when he bellows 'seasons, you just start to end' in a painfully raw roar.

Moving beyond comparisons 'Bathers' is an early album highlight with Starcher crooning 'soon you'll kill all the things I love' before returning to his throaty yell during the unexpectedly catchy chorus. 'Serotonin' is the most straightforward offering but also the most redundant, its jangly guitar lines and pop-punk chorus feeling determinedly out of place. Luckily, it is immediately countered by 'Seasons', a crushing, mid-tempo dirge - both the heaviest track on Hither & Yon and a strong contender for the best. 'Emitter' ends the record, initially subdued, swathed in southern twang, it erupts for one final minute of fury with Starcher repeatedly yelling 'wait, I've made trades that turned heaven into space'.

Hither & Yon is a genuinely diverse record, compelling, mature and avoiding easy characterisation but you're unlikely to cherry-pick tracks for play-lists or repeat listens. It feels like an album and requires patient and attentive listening. This is not a criticism, merely a warning for those seeking this decade's 'Jude Law and a Semester Abroad'. You certainly won't find it here.

Von Dark Gods: Seven Billion SlavesThe Color Morale Know Hope
Barrow Though I'm AloneDaCast Dédale
Martin Rossiter The Defenestration of St MartinArchitects Daybreaker

Existent

welljesuschrist

Originally here - http://www.youarentcool.com/reviews/44/hither-yon

Only put this up since I noticed it didn't already have a review and it's one of my favourite albums. So so good, please check it out if you haven't already.

Brostep
November 11th 2012

Decent review, a little too track by track for my tastes but good and short nonetheless. Have a pos!

4N4LB34D5
November 11th 2012

This is a pretty sweet album. I decided to check it out after reading your review and ended up buying it. Just $5! I gives you pos for good review and for turning me on to these guys

Digging: Real Estate - Atlas

November 11th 2012

dang is this gd, wana say heard about them somewhere

the band name is, ill just say thought provoking in more than one type of wayz

my intricacy has puzzled my speech

in simple terms, I may check

pos

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

bungy
November 11th 2012

I got this album in some deal from their label and I remember being bored, I'll check it out again

welljesuschrist
November 11th 2012

4N4LB34D5 - that's awesome. They're recording/just finished recording the follow up.

Thanks for the pos's.

4N4LB34D5
November 11th 2012

Sweet, any idea when it's coming out?

Funeralopolis