Wintersun
Time I

by souleater USER (6 Reviews)
November 10th, 2012 | 18 replies | 1,467 views

Review Summary: Jari unleashes eight years of work to great effect.

To say that expectations were high for Jari Maenpaa's latest release would be somewhat of an understatement given the long protracted development cycle of it. Indeed Time I had taken eight years to finally surface, and it was one of the few highly awaited releases that actually manages to deliver all that it promises. Yes, this is indeed an epic mixture of melodic death metal and some of the most beautifully composed symphonic arrangements to create an absolute masterpiece of an album five songs in length with each one delivering its point perfectly. Aside from Jari, Wintersun are comprised of one other permanent member in Kai Hahto and Time I was released in 2012 as the first of two albums.

The focus on this album is in the symphonic arrangements which are found throughout the album with the melodeath sections used to the absolute greatest effect. Two of the songs on here are instrumental only, leaving the real weight of the album to be carried forward by Sons Of Winter And Stars, Land Of Snow And Sorrow and time. Each of these songs showcases this beautiful combinations of style perfectly, with "Sons..." clocking in at thirteen minutes and still not feeling overly long. The symphonies throughout this album are overused to the point that the duo behind the release lose any aura or feel that they had hoped to achieve, but this is all completely fine given that the album is also one of the most downright fun and entertaining experiences in recent years.

Unlike their self-titled debut, this no longer has any kind of focus on the heavy side of the band which is almost completely missing from here. The symphonies play such a dominant role in the release that the duo hasn't actually managed to find a way to achieve a heavy sound no matter where they place the death metal sections which is one of the weaker sides to this album but is still not a bad thing. The vocals are the best thing here with Jari using a lot of clean vocals on here and coming off sounding absolutely chaotic, giving off a sound of mourning through his voice, and when the harsh vocals come into play they always carry a lot of power behind them.

The best thing about this release is the flow of it. Despite the fact that it is made up of two instrumental tracks and three proper songs, all of which break the eight minute barrier, it never once feels overly long. The opening instrumental When Time Fades Away is the perfect build up to the first proper song and from there every moment of the album flows into the next one brilliantly. There are no awkward transitions nor poorly written sections on display here, with each song building up to a crescendo that truly stands out among the heap of music that has been released this year.

This is one release from 2012 that it is advised to be brought as it is a great album that packs a punch to it whilst never really achieving an atmosphere or a side of heaviness.

Like Moths to Flames When We Don't ExistOpeth Ghost Reveries
Eminem RecoveryCKY Volume 1
Rush Clockwork Angels

Wintersun

November 10th 2012

Another month comes, and yet another album that falls victim to being subject to too much hype has been released into the metal community. This particular album, Wintersun's Time I, has been many years in the making, with recording starting as early as 2006. This had been hyped up as being an epic album, with insane degrees of complexity, that would seamlessly fuse intricate symphonies with brutal guitar work and drumming, coupled with Jari Maenpaa's instantly recognizable vocals, both screamed and cleanly sung, to make the ultimate in symphonic metal releases. Unfortunately, things did not quite work out that way, and in my opinion, this is a poor release, which spends too long messing around with strange structures and the orchestral arrangements, and in this sense the songs became too over drawn out.

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

November 10th 2012

Jesus, the reviewer's opinion of this album has changed dramatically.

Digging: Krusseldorf - Fractal World

demigod!
November 10th 2012

still gotta hear this. Not sure if it will live up to high expectations; I loved the debut

Digging: Black Flag - My War

November 10th 2012

Disappointing but still good.

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

Tyrael

20727 Comments

Ah

Crysis
November 10th 2012

Still enjoying this a lot

Tyrael

what kill sayd

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

ViperAces
November 10th 2012

This album is horrid, every cheesy aspect about the genre lumped into one "epic" album. (Btw that was irony cause its not epic). I dont usually get mad about albums, but this one's been all over Sputnik and it made me really mad since other new stuff is coming out soon, like BVBs new album and Asking Alexandrias new album (who again, have talent). This band needs to revitalize their sound all the way up and go on their merry way.

YoYoMancuso
November 10th 2012

shit album, guess it needs a shit review to boot

DarthMann
November 10th 2012

skeletor do you have autism cos i mean im pretty sure theyre the only people who take so much pride in talking to themselves

XingKing
November 10th 2012

It's just desperate attempts at convincing people that they're not the same person.

November 10th 2012

I would make an autism joke but I have a pony avatar so that's just leaving myself open for rib shots...

November 11th 2012

...a-are you mildly autistic bro?

ViperAces
November 12th 2012

We all are midly autistic.

November 12th 2012

This is Sputnik so that goes without saying.