Emmure
Slave to the Game

0.5

by Brendan Schroer USER (184 Reviews)
November 10th, 2012 | 176 replies

Review Summary: I tried. I really tried.

What's worse than a low-quality deathcore band? A low-quality deathcore band that doesn't make any legitimate attempt to evolve their sound or bring themselves out of the pool of mediocrity. Don't get me wrong; I'd be lying if I said I hated all deathcore, as bands like Carnifex and All Shall Perish are definitely above average. However, most of the genre's bands that have increased the quality of their material have done so by incorporating other genres and ideas (case in point: Carnifex having hints of black metal) into their formula.

With Emmure, it seems that there's been no escape from the incessant pummeling of their material from about 90% of the metalheads out there. Billed by many as a "Bro-core" band, Emmure have gotten constant criticism for their bland midtempo chugs, excessive breakdowns, and Fred Durst-inspired clean vocals, none of which have left from their repertoire. Unfortunately, their latest album "Slave to the Game" brings nothing new to the table and even manages to be worse than the majority of their work.

There's still plenty of "chugga-chugga"-esque riffing going on in drop A (and sometimes going down to G) tuning, with the repetitive guitar and drum work taking effect as usual. The biggest problem with the album, the one that sends it over the deep end, is how forced and lifeless the "experiments" are. On "Protoman" (most likely a reference to Mega Man, going with their love of video games), there are few instances of melody. However, once the silly vocal shouts and breakdowns come back into play, those instances go down the drain and are quickly forgotten, as they simply felt thrown in as a cheap way to break up the monotony.

The other thing that kills the album is just how much the repetition starts to drill through the listener's brain. The riffs are completely mind-numbing after the first few songs, and the overproduced guitar sound only gives more of an impression that the album was created in an assembly line instead of a real band creating it. Plus, it always seems like the band try to cover this up with pure heaviness, like in "Blackheart Reigns"'s breakdown. It is, in fact, heavy, but it isn't really as effective when it rambles on for the rest of the tune instead of picking itself back up for a more interesting ending. As with most of the album, it all relies on one guitar string to get the job done.

Honestly, that's about it. If you like "bro-downs," need a generic bottom-of-the-barrel deathcore fix, or want to hear what Limp Bizkit would sound like it they were a deathcore band, knock yourself out. Meanwhile, the rest of us will forget this album was ever released and listen to something far more substantial in the metal department... or, hell, any department.

Emmure are:

poor
thanosreigns585 (5)
Pure, unadulterated passion....

Rory Amoy (3)
Emmure make a statement with this video game inspired release, but show slight signs that they are b...

Mark James Irwin (2)
The more things change, the more they stay the same....

MeatSalad

Slave to the gvme

Digging: The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

MeatSalad
November 10th 2012

Emmure is about as kvlt as it gets

foxblood
November 10th 2012

saw this review on the front page and knew you'd already be in here andcas lol. idk why your review
isn't the default, it's the best. this review isn't bad either, even if it's a tad unnecessary

VermicideReloadead
November 10th 2012

Band is one of the worst group of deathcore ever. They're just a fucking pile of manure made by wiggers with null IQ

XfingTheSullen
November 10th 2012

The Black Dahlia Murder are not even deathcore. I dunno about earlier albums, though, but hell no.

XfingTheSullen
November 10th 2012

Well it's not entirely a "stupid" debate in my opinion... most guys who say TBDM are deathcore, use the vocals argument. But the vocals are actually more reminescent of black metal, leaving me all the more puzzled.

If earlier albums really did have deathcore elements, then I understand. Haven't heard them.

Hep Kat
November 10th 2012

uh deathcore didn't even exist then the black dahlia murder started making music soooooo

i'm commenting on an emmure REVIEW FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE

Motiv3
November 10th 2012

why the fuck would u even try with this album?

pos'd

MTObsidian
November 10th 2012

I like the fact that, while you do indeed hate this album, you actually have reasons to back up why it's a 1 rather than just ranting about how "omg emmurre sux lololol". Pos'd.

ViralOblivion
November 10th 2012

You got the rating right

JustinKing
November 10th 2012

@Hep Deathcore did exist then. Despised Icon and The Red Chord had already started, and Glass Casket was formed right after Gadriel disbanded.

November 10th 2012

Well he did back up his opinion, and wrote a good review

TooLateToGoBack

MDMA is aight.

Spec

MDMA is pretty cool.

Digging: Midnight - No Mercy for Mayhem

NothingForSomething
November 10th 2012

This makes me ashamed of being from Queens

SlMBOLlC
November 10th 2012

Not gonna lie, was expecting some "err carnifex suck" type comments, but good work sputnik.
shitty album
great review
pos'd

Carnifex is pretty good

Inferis

Band fucking BLOWS.

SlMBOLlC
November 10th 2012

I like carnifex cause they have some really great material.
but they also know how to murder the fuck out of songs with chugz and junz and the like