Kendrick Lamar
good kid, m.A.A.d city

good

by GaryJohnson2012 USER (2 Reviews)
November 10th, 2012 | 407 replies | 11,201 views

Review Summary: A shallow album besides "Good Kid" and "Dying of Thrist"

This is a decent pop-rap album but is disgustingly overrated. The lyrics are contradictory and/or just plain awful at times, Interscope had a negative influence on the sound of this album, and it takes a huge amount of skits to give the songs enough context to make sense.

Kendrick has a nice technique to his rhymes and catchy voice variations. The beats, like most beats in the mainstream, are very catchy, well edited and enjoyable, but many seem to have some kind of plastic feel to them: like they were mass-produced and then tested repeatedly with trial and error. The middle tracks Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City, and Sing About Me/Dying of Thirst are the highlights of this album. Here the singing/choruses aren't overdone and you can focus on the excellent rhyming/lyrics instead of the overwrought productions.

However, throughout this mainstream album you sadly have a good amount of “baby baby” “get it get it get it get it” “drank drank drank” “LOVE love LOVE love” kind of crap, especially on the tracks Swimming Pools and Real. The other problem is that Kendrick's lyrics are hit or miss, impressive at times but with so many bad rhymes (see below) throughout that he ruins most songs on this album. He clearly is trying to distract from this major flaw by rhyming quick, with the added benefit that hip hop noobs won't mind because incoherent fast rhymes over catchy beats are all they want to hear.

Kendrick’s voice kind of sounds feminine quite often and it seems like he felt he had to distract you from it with macho lyrics like “bitch don’t kill my vibe” “I’m real I’m real I’m real I’m really really real”. I’m not hating on Kendrick Lamar or anything, some people just have squeaky voices that make them sound like women.

The stories Kendrick raps about are fairly interesting but are seriously lacking in punchlines. The lessons of growing up in bad cities (Compton specifically) are unoriginal to even the most casual fans of hip hop and have been done from every west coast rapper from Dr. Dre to more recent artists like The Game. In fact, an excerpt that pretends to be from Kendrick’s dad on the song “Real” is actually the same interlude Dr. Dre read on Game’s the R.E.D. Album!

The part I hate most about this album is on Backseat Freestyle “MARTIN HAD A DREAM! KENDRICK HAVE A DREAM!!!!!!” on the intro and outro of Backstreet Freestyle, then rapping about pussy, guns and money for the rest of the song. If rappers like Kendrick had anything that even remotely resembled Dr. MLK’s dream there wouldn't be ***hole places like Compton. This album is grossly overrated by pop fans who don't have any care for a meaningful message in music. The album's only real message is in the songs Good Kid and Dying of Thirst, the rest of the songs on here are boasts about how tough Kendrick is, his money or how much pussy he gets.

Kendrick Lamar is an excellent rapper relative to newer rappers but this album suffers from boring boasts in the beginning and a significant amount of unnecessary choruses throughout most of the album that will have hip hop fans cringing at times (ie Swimming Pools). Even without these flaws this album could only be considered great at best, the message is simply not a fraction as deep as Kendrick's groupies are making it out to be.

A collection of trash lyrics from this album:

Ass came with a hump from the jump she was a camel
I want to ride like Arabians, push an '04 Mercedes-Benz

I was in heat like a cactus, my tactics of being thirsty
Probably could hurt me, but fuck it I got some heart
Grab my momma's keys, hopped in the car

I am a sinner who's probably gonna sin again
Lord forgive me, Lord forgive me
Things I don't understand
Sometimes I need to be alone
Bitch don't kill my vibe, bitch don't kill my vibe

My New Year's resolution is to stop all the pollution
Talk too motherfucking much, I got my drink I got my music
I hope the universe love you today
‘Cause the energy we bringing sure to carry away
A flock of positive activists and fill the body with hate
If it’s necessary

Air conditioner broke and I hear my stomach screaming
Hungry for anything unhealthy and if nutrition can help me
I’ll tell you to suck my dick then I'll continue eating

I hit the back window in search of any Nintendo
DVDs, plasma screen TVs in the trunk
We made a right, then made a left, then made a right
Then made a left, we was just circling life
My mama called – "Hello? What you doin'? “Kicking it”
I should’ve told her I’m probably ‘bout to catch my first offense with the homies
But they made a right, they made a left then made a right
Then another right
One lucky night with the homies

Home invasion was persuasive
From nine to five I know it's vacant, ya bish

Hot sauce all in our Top Ramen, ya bish
Park the car then we start rhyming, ya bish

Go at a reverend for the revenue

It go Halle Berry or hallelujah
Pick your poison tell me what you doing

A dollar might just fuck your main bitch that's just how I feel
A dollar might say fuck them niggas that you came with that's just how I feel
A dollar might just make that lane switch that's just how I feel
A dollar might turn to a million and we all rich that's just how I feel

With poetic justice, poetic justice
If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?

She wanna go and party, she wanna go and party
Nigga, don't approach her with that Atari
Nigga, that ain't good game, homie, sorry

Love is not just a verb, it's you looking in the mirror
Love is not just a verb, it's you looking for it, maybe
Call me crazy, We can both be insane

And that’s in the first 6 songs alone… off the top of my head. lmfao.

4.3

ChopSuey

bababababababa

GaryJohnson2012
November 9th 2012

Thanks in advance for all the unjustified hate this will recieive.

Treeman

I hate you

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

ZGP1992
November 9th 2012

well written and props for not being a dickriding yes-man on a site full of elitists and trolls. I like this album but you did a good job

drink bleach

Calc
November 9th 2012

negged cuz you're an annoying person.

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

November 9th 2012

says the guy who keeps posting pictures of fallout how fucking old is that game by now? get the fuck over it

Calc

ive posted 1 picture of fallout but im not gonna argue with some alt

November 9th 2012

now youve posted two jesus christ they are just multiplying!

Havey
November 10th 2012

Didn't neg, but how about proofreading before posting your reviews?

dam hard

Tupik
November 10th 2012

It's like you didn't get the point of the album at all. And Kendrick is successful thanks to the
internet, radio has nothing to do with his hype.

"Or how about “MARTIN HAD A DREAM! KENDRICK HAVE A DREAM!!!!!!” on the intro and outro of Backstreet
Freestyle, then rapping about pussy, guns and money for the rest of the song."

This just illustrates that you didn't get the album at all. He's trying to tell the story of how he
grew up in Compton and became the man he is today. It is very clear from the skits that Backstreet
Freestyle is him showing off his first raps when he was 17 in the back of his car. That's why the
lyrics are "ignorant", because he's showing his evolution as a man and an artist, and obviously when
you're spitting raps at 17 to show off your talent to friends you're not gonna rap about the Black
Panthers or Malcolm X.

Anyway, this review comes off as very arrogant, putting capitalized words everywhere is not a good
idea at all. It's like you didn't even try to understand what he tried to do with this. I'm not
complaining about the rating, bu this review is pretty much off on everything. Basically bla bla bla
corporate influence bla bla bla.

Didn't neg because this isn't badly written, but you might want to take more serious listens at
albums before writting reviews.

Digging: Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]

daIceman
November 10th 2012

thank you finally somebody who share my opinions...

Havey