Night Sins
New Grave

by Frederick Metzengerstein USER (202 Reviews)
November 9th, 2012 | 39 replies | 2,944 views

Review Summary: A gloomy, modern take on classic post-punk featuring members of Pennsylvania's Salvation.

One of the cooler new bands that I've been jamming to lately is Philadelphia gloom crew Night Sins. Featuring members of respected hardcore punk band Salvation, Night Sins tweak the formula a bit, opting for a moodier, often times cinematic, death rock influenced post-punk sound instead.

"New Grave" is the first album from this young band and I must say that I am very impressed with this recording. In every respect. From the melancholy atmosphere to the inspired musicianship, from the nifty songwriting to Kyle's brooding vocals, Night Sins have really nailed their classical 80's post-punk sound down to a pat. Influenced by like likes of Sisters of Mercy and Depeche Mode and blending vintage darkwave sounds with post-punk, "New Grave" is a phenomenal addition to the resurgent scene.

The sound of Night Sins can be characterized as being darkly melodic and sluggishly energetic. The tempos are often slow paced and the musicianship can be quite simple but it's lumbering nature contrasts perfectly with it's more divine, calculating self. The music is at once anthemic and apathetic. The Geminian duality of this band works splendidly. Downbeat melodic guitar chords provide the foundation of the recording, interspersing often with driving bass-lines and haunting, baritone singing. Underneath all that lies the strong, rhythmic percussion and understated synth work which helps provide a horror film like sensibility to the music.

There is not one particular high point about Night Sins. There are four. Leading the charge is Kyle Kimball and his enthralling, baritone singing style. His towering voice carries the music and lends an air of immortal gloom to the already darkened music. Serving as the groups bassist, Kyle also excels here. His plodding bass-lines provide a steady rhythm all through the recording with Michael Bachich's percussive abilities providing assistance. Drew Ferry and Chris Betts are the guitarists for the band. Juxtaposing catchy punk riffs with somber post-punk melodicism, the duo concoct engaging pattern after engaging pattern. Stellar synthesizer use can be found underlining the base instrumentation. They keys are subtle but highly memorable. They provide a spooky, cinematic feel. Sometimes they make you feel like you're trapped in a carnival, other times they make you feel like you're being drained of your blood in Dracula's castle.

The bleak atmosphere, precise musicianship and impassioned vocals really carry this recording, as well as the deeply inspired songwriting. Even though "Night Graves" is a relatively short recording and causes you to replay it consistently, it never loses it's charm. I have found no flaws with this even as I continue to replay this record time and time again. I highly recommend this album to the post-punk/death rock/goth crowd looking for some new jams as it is a worthy addition to your catalog. Currently you may find this on their official bandcamp.