Omen
Battle Cry

by lostforwords USER (36 Reviews)
November 7th, 2012 | 13 replies | 1,563 views

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Alongside Manowar’s first four albums, Manila Road’s Open the Gates and Crystal Logic and Bathory’s (un)holy trilogy, Omen’s Battle Cry is one of the most important chapters in the Holy Bible of epic metal (the same goes with their sophomore effort, Warning Of Danger). However, while the rest of the bunch recognized Sabbath, Rainbow, Wishbone Ash and early Rush as their primal influences, Omen were fervent Iron Maiden disciples, something that reflected clearly on their music. Unlike the others, Omen in Battle Cry played at a significantly higher pace, with thunderous riffs, modestly melodic passages and a craving for dual guitar leads. Their sword and sorcery themed songs followed standard structures that never extended to long epics, and their bloodthirsty heavy metal honestly owed very much to their amazingly powerful singer, JD Kimball, whose brave vocals were truly one of a kind; he wouldn’t reach for the higher notes, he would deliver simple, direct and memorable vocal lines instead.

This all resulted in 10 songs that could be appealing to any US power metal fan as well, exactly because of their relentlessness, which was quite atypical at the time-let’s not lose sight of the fact that the rapidly evolving epic metal scene was then following, consciously or not, Manowar’s “heavy as a slow moving ship in the sea” dogma. What made Omen a standout act and a name worthy of being pronounced in the same breath as the aforementioned epic metal giants though, was their indisputable talent. With songs such as Death Rider, The Axe man, Dragon’s Breath and epic metal’s national anthem, the title track, it wasn’t painful for even the most skeptical to overlook Battle Cry’s lack of balance which made this album slightly inconsistent. Rightfully, Omen quickly gained a relatively small but very devoted fan base, before becoming key figures and, as of today, one of the most important bands in epic metal, as they managed , to match-or maybe even surpass-with their following two records, Warning Of Danger and The Curse, their debut in terms of quality and influence.

Thorns Thorns vs Emperor (split w/ Emperor)Manowar Kings of Metal MMXIV
Warlord The Holy EmpireKorn Korn
Newsted MetalOmen Warning of Danger

lostforwords
November 7th 2012

This could easily go unnoticed, I don't know too many people who still like Omen, but I felt that this record definately deserved a review.

Voivod

Good review, pos.

Warning Of Danger deserves to be reviewed too.

Sputnik needz moar old school metal.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

lostforwords
November 7th 2012

"Perhaps it would be better if the text was separated into two smaller paragraphs."

I did it,thanks.

"review seems alright but it lacks a little flow"

Definately not my best review, but I wanted to make it as short and informative as possible, given that no one seems to care about Omen anymore, let alone read a long text about them

kveldulf57
November 7th 2012

I am moved to see a review on this album, congrats

November 7th 2012

rv is gd, I agree short and sweet is the key here, Pos'd

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

good review, pos

Oaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

That's my battle cry. Feedback please.

Ethics

9/10

November 7th 2012

Thank you. I appreciate your honesty, but the fact that the last point is missing will unfortunately lead to you being beheaded. Very sad indeed...I was starting to like you. I might just spare your life this time.

November 7th 2012

I'm actually a nice guy. Don't be dishearted by my cruelness against Ethics. I promise you...He deserves it.

manosg
July 10th 2013

Omen is a band that really needs more love on here. The review is short and great, pos.

Eunuch
September 30th 2013

so good

Eunuch
September 30th 2013

the solo in In the Arena makes me shed a manly tear.

manosg
October 1st 2013

Epic and powerful, what more can you ask?