All That Remains
A War You Cannot Win

by NightmareCinema16 USER (36 Reviews)
November 7th, 2012 | 45 replies | 7,072 views

Review Summary: Damage...it’s been done once again, just with less cost.

It’s often that metal bands have their ups and downs. All That Remains has already seen its good days with the Fall of Ideals and took to the fall. However, they had room for some improvement, even if it was a little. In fact, with their latest effort, A War You Cannot Win, they didn’t completely lose everything. While they made many mistakes, they may have made a few bright spots in the process.

After receiving criticism for the past two albums, ATR had to pull back some old principles from The Fall of Ideals. And it isn’t that difficult to see. The first returning concept is keeping some sense of balance between the clean vocals and the dirty screams. Phillip Labonte has matured in the process of a few albums, whether it’s a beneficial factor or not. It may not be noticeable, but he shows just a tad more emotion in this album and yet still keeps the aggression necessary for a metal album. However, he still has some work to do before he sounds like anyone like Jake Luhrs of August Burns Red, or perhaps even Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth. Another sign of Fall of Ideals is Just Moments In Time, which sounds sort of similar to This Calling.

However, A War You Cannot Win is mostly composed of very flashy errors, one being the song, Intro. It sounds good, but why would one put it as track six? It just doesn’t make sense and is guaranteed to confuse and frustrate the listener. Another pretty hefty mistake is A War You Cannot Win just doesn’t sound quite like something by All That Remains. It spends its time sounding like other popular metalcore bands similar to them. Some of the new songs sound something like Five Finger Death Punch, which is not really clever, or funny for that matter. Instead of trying to use a unique style, you get something out another metal band that’s already been used. In other words, A War You Cannot Win is recycled music. The worst part: the album practices and exercises a bit of pop and other sorts of cliché. Very stupid decision made by a metal band.

All That Remains made a pretty big fall at Overcome and For We Are Many, but took the time to partially get up. It’s the damage that’s done that still is carrying onto A War You Cannot Win without fail. And in the end, it really doesn’t match up to the strong standards of Fall of Ideals. So, A War You Cannot Win is not much of a special album. Regardless, it’s not horrible, either. So, would it be worth a listen? If you’re an ATR fan, go ahead. But otherwise, it’s not that important to the regular metal music lover. There is better metalcore music to go by, like Constellations by August Burns Red or Fall of Ideals by ATR. To conclude, it’s not really worth buying.

Dream Theater Dream TheaterPremiata Forneria Marconi The World Became The World
Kayo Dot HubardoJakszyk, Fripp and Collins A Scarcity Of Miracles
Big Big Train The Underfall YardStrawbs Hero and Heroine
2.1
poor
LordXyrnos (1.5)
"A War You Cannot Win" Cannot Win My Attention....

Subrick (1.5)
Well at least it's short....

Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (2)
All That Remains, A War You Cannot Win can be compared to a prostate exam. They may have good intent...

2016 Comments

Shortest review yet. I should probably lengthen my next review a bit next. Criticism always welcomed. That way, I can improve.

4 reviews ain't even short
Come back to me when you've pulled off a 1

u mean 4 paragraphs lol

Digging: The Who - Tommy

paragraphs yeah

November 6th 2012

This albums going to flood the main page now

19609 Comments

I don't understand the first paragraph. you say they couldn't get worse than they already were, then go on to say how this album's not that bad?

might want to word that differently.

2016 Comments

Meh. I'll leave that to Robert G.

19609 Comments

Huh? you said you wanted constructive criticism lol

November 6th 2012

Meh. I'll leave that to Robert G.

Eclecticist
November 6th 2012

This review isn't bad, just messy.

2016 Comments

"Meh. I'll leave that to Robert G."

"This I don't understand, you wrote this review to let someone else expand on an opinion?"

No, that was intended as a response to this:

"This albums going to flood the main page now"

right.

anyway........ While they made many mistakes, they may have made a few bright spots in the process.

Missing a word?

or perhaps even Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth.

I'd find it weird if these guys began to sound similar considering the vastly different vocal styles both clean and screamed.

2016 Comments

Yeah, I don't have the greatest mind with metal music in general. That I can definately improve.

19609 Comments

you're confusing the ever living shit out of me lol

Move on Atari, worked for me ; ]

19609 Comments

he edited his post it had said something even stranger lol

November 6th 2012

As for the review, just give it a read over you'll find all those choppy parts.

2016 Comments

Honestly, writing this review just didn't move me at all. Kind've a letdown knowing I originally wrote it with the intention of making the front, I guess that's quite regrettable. I kind've wish I'd known better.

"After reading through my review again, I found myself to be as confused as hell. I must've written this in my sleep."

November 6th 2012

don't get let down by it, for the most part it just looks like it needs some tlc.

19609 Comments

haha never write a review just because you think it's gonna be featured.

reviews not that bad why not just touch it up a little? I see that you edited the first paragraph though and that looks better i'll pos