Behold... The Arctopus
Horrorscension

1.5
very poor

by Lambda USER (68 Reviews)
November 7th, 2012 | 34 replies

Review Summary: Disappointing on almost every level, Behold... The Arctopus' latest is a jumbled mess of atonal randomness.

It always irks me when people say that technical bands can't write music. Not only are broad generalizations like this usually wrong, but off the top of my head I can think of many technical groups who compose amazing songs: Necrophagist, Blotted Science, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Spastic Ink.... the list goes on. One band I would have readily included in this list is Behold... The Arctopus, but unfortunately their latest record Horrorscension- the subject of this review- is just so bad that I can't do so in good conscience.

This album is completely random and atonal, but not in a good way like much of Skullgrid, the band's previous release. Behold... The Arctopus was trying way too hard to be faster and more extreme or something, because this is effectively a bunch of unlistenable noise. Every so often something will stand out (a lightning speed solo or a melody) but it only lasts for a second (or two, if you're lucky) before disappearing into a mess of noise again. One would be hard pressed to remember a single thing about this record once it was over, other than the fact that it all blurred together.

It's not even that the performances are bad. They aren't- every member plays their respective instrument well- but unfortunately each is hitting all the right notes in all the wrong places. New drummer Weasel Walter does an admirable job taking over for Charlie Zelleny, but the songs he's playing on here are so poor that his talent is all but wasted. Likewise for the other two members. Horrorscension truly is horr-endous; a burgeoning cesspool of terrible songwriting and squandered talent. Very disappointing and, quite frankly, bordering on abysmal.

Dog Fashion Disco Sweet NothingsCasualties of Cool Casualties of Cool
fresh beatZ The MisunderstoodAvenged Sevenfold Hail to the King
Buckethead Pike 13Buckethead In Search Of The - Volume 10: 'F'
2.7

STREAM:

TheFonz123
November 6th 2012

this is not bad, but you should probably take out the first person narrative. Whenever you say anything, it's a given that YOU think that and saying "I" is redundant. By stating your opinion as fact, your point comes across stronger

November 6th 2012

I agree, but the only places I use "I" are in the first paragraph which is intentionally informal anyways. Why did I go informal in the first paragraph? This album personally disappointed me, and I wanted a more human outlook on it all at the start.

Thanks for the comment though : )

TheFonz123

fair enough ;)

MO

19078 Comments

band is so shitty

November 6th 2012

These guys aren't high on my list of good music, but I did think this is the best album that they've done so far.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

November 6th 2012

Interesting Willie... I much preferred Skullgrid to this. "Canada" was especially a fantastic track. Why do you like this one more?

November 6th 2012

It seemed less chaotic and a little less unpolished too.

foxblood
November 6th 2012

is it really that bad? the review is really short and i don't think it has enough solid reasoning behind the claims that are made.
not that i agree or disagree with the review, I haven't heard this.

Athom
November 6th 2012

I didn't even know they were putting out new music. I love these guys. Gotta nab this.

November 6th 2012

It's on Spotify if you have it.

Wheelah
November 6th 2012

I loved Skullgrid, and yeah Canada is amazing. Don't think I'll be getting this if it's as bad as it seems...

Wizard

19644 Comments

I didn't mind this but I would take Dysrhytmia any day over these guys. Good review.

Digging: Ash Borer - Cold of Ages

Calc
November 7th 2012

I listened to this when it leaked and it was sucky agreed

Wizard

19644 Comments

shit band

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

November 7th 2012

"Well, I wouldn't call it awful, I had a look at the last 3 posters (plus reviewer) on here and I must say, you guys listen to much worse stuff than this and have it rated higher so...."

Opinions I guess. I despise this release. Thanks for the comments, though. : )

Brostep
November 7th 2012

This doesn't look particularly good.

Digging: Nicki Minaj - The Pinkprint

YetAnotherBrick
November 7th 2012

sucks if this really is that bad, skullgrid slays

Digging: Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom

Mike08

neg-
Your review is too brief, does not provide context, and could have been put through the editing board.

This is also a sloppy sentence and inappropriate for a conclusion in the 2nd paragraph. The last paragraph is again needing to be rewritten. I find it annoying in reviews when the person roughly states; "it wasn't bad, but the end result is awful."

-Anyways I always defend my negs, its all constructive criticism