Slipknot
Iowa

good

by Samuel Mclean USER (9 Reviews)
November 5th, 2012 | 159 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Slipknot may have fallen from grace, yet this album still stands as a gem among modern "rock" metal.

Slipknot. Slipknot.
Possibly the most overrated band in history. A band with a ridiculously stupid fan base that makes me want to commit suicide.
A band with mediocre guitarists, but a good vocalist and writing talent.
A band with the most ***ing horrible stigma ever, doomed to walk the path of the 90's nu-metallers, hated by the typical elitist.
A band that was once, to me a meaningful aspect of my life growing up like 2 years ago.
Well that ***ing changed.
It almost depresses me to go back to listening to them, for whenever I hear Corey Taylor's screaming and growling, it reminds me of their rabid, uneducated, ill-mannered fan base. The absolute horrors associated bar even the Black Metal elitist crowd. Because Slipknot have such a negative metal stigma, I will address them as modern rock. Since, they aren't truly metal anymore according to the metal community.

Slipknot were a band that used to be taken seriously, when they didn't have a fan base like say Linkin Park, who I still am unsure whether I hate them because of their 12 year old frat-boy fan base. Or that I actually hate their music. I'm not sure, never will be at this rate.

This album though, is possibly the only album I can continue to enjoy. It had just that feeling to it, the anger, misanthropy and general hatred I loved at the age of 13, that said 2 years later and I still love to hate, but oh well that's not the point. The point is that the album gathers a fan base of angry teenagers yearning for acceptance, wanting to be as ***ing edgy as possible and likable.

The songs, do the same as the entire band. They are about anger, feelings of un-acceptance. Feelings of suicide, and depressive content. The lyrical talent in Slipknot is not bad, it's just wasted on this band because I cannot take them seriously anymore.

The good for this album still shines, it shows Corey Taylor's voice in it's prime. His unrelenting screams and growls are terrifyingly good and rarely ever let up. It shows the entire band's prime actually, but sadly it's almost unrecognizable. The title track is the band's best effort in my opinion, nothing they will ever do will top it, it is 15 minutes of pure chaos, and it is just beautifully made.

The bad parts, are the friendly tracks. Though I do like Left Behind, some have too much a radio friendly feeling. Which is where Slipknot fail in my estimation, a band that Slipknot tried to be don't make radio-***ing-friendly songs!

Reccomended tracks:

The Black Dahlia Murder NocturnalWhitechapel This Is Exile
Korn Life Is PeachyNaglfar Teras

Brostep
November 5th 2012

1 review a day, and you might want to look at the first half of the review because it could use some editing.

November 5th 2012

Yes, one review a day. I have time on my hands, I don't think that's going to change because I literally don't care.

November 5th 2012

And... it's my review, not yours.

DropdeadWHA
November 5th 2012

You're a rude fella' aren't you? jeehz man, c'mon.

November 5th 2012

I'm sorry Dropdead, but I'm mean.

Youtellme
November 5th 2012

Album blows, and this review is fucking awful too.

ViralOblivion
November 5th 2012

Oh yeah you're the guy that reviewed whitechapel a 4 makes sense you'd like this

November 5th 2012

Seems you guys have a severe case of "opinion goggles" where you're right, and I'm wrong. You obviously don't know what opinion is.
Also, I desperately want to like this album, unlike Whitechapel where I have no difficulty liking.

Brostep
November 5th 2012

Dude I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you - most of us here care about the music we listen to and want to see high-quality reviews. If you just stand here bitching about how no one likes you and continuously pump out bad reviews, that's your decision, but I'd think it's far more satisfying to watch your writing improve and cooperate with other people. That's just me, though.

ViralOblivion
November 5th 2012

Well for one the review isn't even written that well using fuck several times is just not necessary I'm sure you can come up with better words that using fucking edgy.

KingHarkinian
November 5th 2012

I have to agree with Grandpa on this one. This review is not what all true warriors strive for.

FearOfTheDuck
November 5th 2012

The songs do the same as the entire band.

KjSwantko

Calls the album a "gem" and then rates it 3/5? Wtf

November 5th 2012

rock metal is my favorite genre

Digging: Foreground Eclipse - Stories That Last Through The Sleepless Nights

pacedown

saddam tendencies in reviews

ChopSuey

lol rock metal

lmao

u seem upset

November 5th 2012

I'm a fucking depressed, misanthropic, nihilistic, narcissistic, sociopathic, angry as hell at everything, bored, unmotivated, detatched, dissassociative, ignorance and stupidity hating person. Gathered that? If you didn't I hate you.

November 5th 2012

this site should be perfect for u then!

November 5th 2012

It is, please fix your grammar. Seriously.