Naglfar
Teras

by Samuel Mclean USER (9 Reviews)
November 5th, 2012 | 16 replies

Naglfar, the band I continue to listen to because of the lyrical subject, which is more often than not; Misanthropy, I'm so edgy. Not really, I really do hate everything as established before. But, I will at least be civil here.
Naglfar are a Swedish band, so they've got to be good, since the Swedes just have some uncanny talent at anything they ever do, that crushes anybodies dreams at being successful *cough* Opeth *cough* Machinae Supremacy *cough* Naglfar *cough* anything ***ing Swedish!

Naglfar are also melodic black metal, melodies are some of my favourite things to be incorporated into metal of any kind. And it just bloody works with black metal for some reason, and I can say it's not wasted at all.
This is the band's 6th album, and they have got the magic from their earlier releases mixed well with their previous effort "Harvest" an album with some of my favourite efforts from Naglfar.

They successfully combine the rage and sound of their earlier albums, most notably Sheol and Pariah with the increasingly melodic tones present on Harvest and turn it into what many would consider a great triumph.

The only issue I have with the album being it's not long enough, but it is a Black Metal release, they're not known for being long like Prog bands or anything of that calibre.

This album also enticed me due to the Lovecraftian effort on here "The Monolith" which about halfway through had me chanting "Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn" repeatedly once I discerned the subject, being a Lovecraft fanboy I just had to do it, it didn't feel right without it. Judge me if you want, but I love me some Lovecraft. If you don't, I can safely say. I don't care, this is about the album, not some stupid argument.

The rest of the album incorporates a few of my favourite elements, Doom Metal elements on certain tracks like the aforementioned The Monolith, Bring Out Your Dead and Pale Horse. Pale Horse is also about the Horseman of the Apocalypse "Death" if you haven't read up your biblical tales.

Pros-
Doom metal elements
Cthulhu related
Epic melodic guitars
Great vocals

Cons-
Not long enough
Some songs repeat at times
Not enough melody
Inaccessable to new black metal fans

Archspire All Shall AlignGorguts Obscura

Naglfar Pariah
Naglfar Harvest

DropdeadWHA
November 5th 2012

Not a bad review, bit on the short side; a bit of rambling too- i.e first paragraph. It could be reworded and it would be much better. Not gonna neg or pos though. Dug this album quite a bit and i disagree with the notion that it's inaccessible to new fans of the genre. It's pretty easy to get into, isn't necessarily 'harsh' like some bands are.

November 5th 2012

I had no idea these guys were still a band. I saw them perform live like.. 7 years ago. Not sure if I want to listen to this.

November 5th 2012

Thank you sir, I merely meant the inaccessible nature as the vocals seem a bit on the harder to hear side. They seem too blended with the music, though I really liked that tough. I was mainly referring to say, somebody who literally just discovered Black Metal. I'd probably recommend Harvest for those people. I do appreciate your comment though, and I hope I didn't offend you in any way with my aforementioned Misanthropy.

November 5th 2012

Xing, I'm interested to find out why in the hell you're on this review if you're not interested in it. I hope you're just curious, or will atleast give this album a try as it is worth it.

DropdeadWHA
November 5th 2012

Nah, didn't offend me. Misanthropy is your choice.....ha.

November 5th 2012

Good, It's nice to see accepting individuals.

TortoiseShell
November 5th 2012

i like naglfar so i will def. check this out

November 5th 2012

I used to like metal but have since grown out of it. Whenever I see a review for a band I used to like, I will sometimes pop in. I'm going to listen to "The Monolith" right now, since you spoke of Lovecraftian horrors.

November 5th 2012

Also, I'd work on you paragraphs. The two in the middle are literally one sentence apiece and should be combined into one of the earlier paragraphs.

The Monolith isn't that bad, it's kind of bland though. Not much is going on in the way of instrumentation and it sounds like the same black metal that has been churned out for two decades.

November 5th 2012

That was really good, riff. You should be proud.

November 5th 2012

Oh god what am I reading..

KingHarkinian
November 5th 2012

RiffOClock's comment made my dinner blow up.

KingHarkinian

but really it didn't

zaruyache
November 5th 2012

Oh god what am I reading..

Welcome to Sputnikmusic.com.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

MichaelSnoxall
January 28th 2013

Just bought this on a whim. Wasn't expecting it to be black metal. I was hoping it's be death metal, but oh well. Hope this is good.

Brabiz
June 8th 2014

Jesusfuckingchrist that album art is intense