Anaal Nathrakh
Vanitas

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (197 Reviews)
November 5th, 2012 | 186 replies

Review Summary: Anaal Nathrakh bounce back and find a form of consistency again.

Anaal Nathrakh have been pretty steady with their releases. Unquietly consistent with five consecutive releases (spanning eight years) they were bound to have one lack lustre release. This came with their 2011 release Passion. Fortunately, 2012 has Anaal Nathrakh stepping up to a form close to that of In the Constellation of the Black Widow or even the debut The Codex Necro with Vanitas. There is an atmosphere presented with this release that reinforces the overall brutality, aided by twenty second plus screams that can be found at the latter end of “Forging Towards The Sunset” and some dark techno themes in “Todos Somos Humanos” Anaal Nathrakh are at least trying to make a statement.

Compared to the previous full length, Vanitas stretches out. There’s no playing safe with this release nor is there letting up. There are harmonies, some contrast between sections and and interesting display of instrument ability and an intelligence shown when putting together tracks. For the most part the album is a scream fest overflowing with doublebass, riffage and tremolo picking, but thankfully the mayhem is interrupted by stomp riff sections and the occasional guitar solo all adding to the soundscape that for the most part have listeners returning again and again.

This is metal in a very blatant form. With tracks like “You Can't Save Me, So Stop ***ing Trying” and “Of Fire, And ***ing Pigs” it’s plain to see that Anaal Nathrakh are making nursery rhymes- of the vilest sort. For fans of the band they will be pleased to see an unsafe return to form. Vanitas blasts its way through ten tracks never outstaying it’s welcome. Songs are brief enough to entertain the listener whilst the (slightly) longer (none of the tracks surpass the five minute mark) tracks display Anaal Nathrakh cementing the album’s validity on the black metal scene. Mixing ambience with insanity Vanitas highlights how extreme metal acts can remain relevant to the metal scene.

Vanitas is an album for those who enjoyed the last two previous albums such as In the Constellation of the Black Widow or Hell Is Empty, and All the Devils Are Here and don’t particularly like a return to their less than greatly received Passion. There is a lot to listen for here and about the same to be appreciated. The album’s down points are the same as the album’s up points i.e. it’s overall consistency. There is nothing that’s innovative here, especially in comparison with the band’s better releases. Consistency is good but if the band was able to jump out of the box and more importantly pull it off listeners may have been listening to a truly classic extreme metal release. Vanitas is ultimately heavy and listeners wouldn’t expect any less, this is an album that will get repeat listens.

In Flames Siren CharmsMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun
Mayhem Esoteric WarfareArchitects Lost Forever // Lost Together
Kauan PirutMiserable Failure Hope

Yep.

Yay a review

you were waiting?

November 5th 2012

No just glad someone reviewed it

kk, cool beans : ] take it you like the album ; ]

November 5th 2012

Yea I was worried after passion but this is an amazing follow up

November 5th 2012

yeah same i wasn't going to give this a go, until my mate pushed me into giving it a go.

November 5th 2012

There was a song preview I heard that and loved it so I knew it was gonna be already better than passion

November 5th 2012

A preview, like a teaser for the album?

Jacquibim
November 5th 2012

I remember listening to The Codex Necro and absolutely hating it, should I check this out or do they still sound like white noise?

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstrung

November 5th 2012

No a song that was released and idk jac maybe try it out look up a song on youtube if you want

Wolfhorde
November 5th 2012

So, this doesn't suffter the downfalsl of Passion? On a sidenote they seem to like to have stuff like "of fire" in their song titles.

linguist2011
November 5th 2012

Listened to this album the other day, and I loved every minute of its venomous power. Since then I've listened to it again for five or six times, and my opinion has not changed one bit. Cool review.

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

November 5th 2012

Thanks linguist , and if you didn't like the older stuff than this isn't probably going to change your opinion.

November 5th 2012

should I check this out or do they still sound like white noise?

White noise mixed in with this and that.

Jacquibim
November 5th 2012

Listened to a song on YouTube, the production's a lot tamer than on Codex, I'll give it a go.

November 5th 2012

Let me know how you go, it's pretty good, and a lot less 'raw' than Codex.

KingHarkinian
November 5th 2012

Gives me a headache. Just how I like it.

i like it ; ]

Crysis
November 5th 2012

Much, much, much better than Passion.

Digging: Spectral Lore - III