Forced Entry
Uncertain Future

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (108 Reviews)
November 3rd, 2012 | 109 replies | 2,354 views

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Power of Three.

Huge riffs and solos make up the first two minutes of Forced Entry’s debut album Uncertain Future, almost urging one to continue listening. It’s a great first impression for the band, but what’s the most impressive is how huge the band sounds considering they only consist of three members. One wouldn’t expect an obscure thrash trio from Seattle to possess such a demanding thrash sound, but the debut effort is a real face melter. It’s quite a feat for a band to form such an energetic thrash album with such few members, but Forced Entry is the home of three very talented musicians that prove to be just as competent as many of the genres finest thrashers.

Accompanying the album’s adrenaline fueled opener ‘Bludgeon’ are a nice set of vocals that are sure to please fans of Testament or Metallica. About half way into the song are some mammoth riffs that are nearly as big as the guitars on Master of Puppets, giving the song a classic thrash feel. Thankfully, the vocalist sounds unique enough to not risk sounding like just another Metallica clone, but there’s definitely a resemblance and his voice stands out nicely on the first track. It’s more aggressive and raspy than most of the album, which is another reason why the opening track is so successful.

The rest of the album manages to retain the “huge” thrash sound heard on the opening track, but also showcases a bit more creativity and some outstanding musicianship. You know the theme song for Jaws, where the song just gets faster and faster to create suspense? Well, this would be the best way to describe one of the albums most frightening tracks, ‘Anaconda’. It starts out slow and continues to pick up the speed, with drums and guitars that actually sound like the theme song from Jaws, which seems to be what they were going for. Either way, it thrashes harder than most of the album and all three band members display their talent well. From the noticeable bass in the song’s intro to the blistering solos and some of the most violent drums on the record, ‘Anaconda’ is thrash at its finest.

With only three members, Forced Entry have managed to create an album that towers over many bands in the genre. The bass stands out more than a lot of thrash bands and at times the riffs are just as enormous as the founders of thrash. The drums aren’t the most impressive I’ve ever heard, but they definitely get the job done especially on songs like ‘Unrest They Find’ or 'Anaconda.' As tight as the musicianship is, the vocalist also proves to be the perfect fit for this style of thrash, making Uncertain Future an outstanding debut that stands high and proud above many albums in the genre.

Trvth ApproachingAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
The Byrds Mr. Tambourine ManSomos Temple of Plenty
Fireworks Oh, Common LifeA Slow Descent On Ganymede

bludgeon:

anaconda:

Digging: The Who - Tommy

November 3rd 2012

What is this, Atari? I thought you were going to take on some 90s rock.

19453 Comments

THIS is my 50'th review, i'll review what i want foo!

nah but seriously i'll review a 90's album soon buddy

November 3rd 2012

Ha ha, you do what you want.

Here are a few things I noticed so far, if you want some feedback.

"trio from Seattle, Wa to possess" - I would either put Washington completely spelled out or just say Seattle. It looks weird with the abbreviation.

songs like ‘Unrest They Find’ or Anaconda’. - Missing a ' in front of Anaconda and I believe you are supposed to put the period inside of the quotation mark.

"The drums aren’t the most impressive I’ve ever heard, but they" - I feel like the word 'thing' should be after impressive or say something like "While the drumming isn't as impressive as other bands in the genre, they definitely get the job done on songs like..."

19453 Comments

thanks for the feedback, i'll take it into consideration.

and IS the period supposed to be inside the quotation mark? i could have sworn i googled it and it said the opposite.

November 3rd 2012

I always put punctuation inside quote marks.

19453 Comments

damn just checked and you're right ecnalzen, don't know why i was thinking it was the other way around thank you for catching that sir

Cygnatti
November 3rd 2012

wut's wid the obscure thrash >:I

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

@ecnalzen, fixed : )

@chipmunk, thrash is the best thing on the planet and this didn't have a review.

November 3rd 2012

oh swee sup bro, gd al here maine, riffs 'n shit

p standz fo pos

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

November 3rd 2012

I think it's a British thing to put it on the outside.

19453 Comments

@ecnalzen, ok lol yeah i usually don't end sentences with quotes prolly so didn't catch it before

thanks captain!

November 3rd 2012

Solid review. Way to represent some lesser known thrash.

19453 Comments

thanks ecnalzen, i know you don't listen to much metal, but do you like metallica or testament? if so you should check them out

November 3rd 2012

I dig some of the earlier Metallica albums, but I have not heard Testament. I will give the two you linked a shot.

Voivod

Good review, pos.

I should check this album out some time.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

19453 Comments

Thanks voivod, definitely check them out start with the links i posted.

JamieTwort

19994 Comments

Good review bro, pos'd.

I guess I should check this out.

19453 Comments

damn surprised you guys haven't heard this and thanks jamie

killemall666
November 3rd 2012

Great facking review but id sooner listen to like moths to flames buddy