Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Dreams of Fireflies (On a Christmas Night)

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
November 2nd, 2012 | 19 replies | 3,359 views

Review Summary: Trans-Siberian Orchestra try mightily hard to conjure the ghost of their Christmas spirit, but with a magical void, it is impossible.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s musical style may seem simple at times, but it carries with it a sense of mystery and excitement that is difficult to repeat. Ironically, it captures the feeling of waking up on Christmas morning, and rushing to find shiny, wrapped presents under the tree. Indeed, the band can create some stirring pieces of Christmas music, and it was expected that Dreams of Fireflies (On a Christmas Night) would be just as grand as past albums. However, to put it bluntly, this EP is boring. The first two songs are decent offerings, with the band’s classical music inspiration showing through their cheesy but fun instrumental rock, but the music only goes downhill after that.

‘I Had a Memory’ sounds like an attempt to emulate the spirit of Christmas Eve and Other Stories, but it comes across very poorly. The verses aren't sung well, and the guitarist pounds out dumb, meaty riffs in the chorus as though he’s playing a different song. Then there’s ‘Someday’, a song that should be more enjoyable than it is. When I saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra live once, they had a different vocalist sing this song (Kayla Reeves). Despite her young age she screamed the song with such intensity she had the room in absolute stitches. In comparison to what I heard live, the recorded rendition of ‘Someday’ is as enticing as blood flavoured Jello. Luckily, the band had enough sense to end the EP on a strong note, with ‘Time You Should Be Sleeping’, a simple, beautiful song. However, the damage is already done.

Dreams of Fireflies (On a Christmas Night) should be better than it is. Most of the songs lack that Christmassy, magical feel that the band have always been so good at evoking. I am not tired of the band’s trademark Christmas rock/metal, but at this point their formula seems stale from being left to dry for so long. It has been eight years since their last Christmas themed album after all, and after such a long wait, this EP is only more of a let-down. Not to mention that their last album (Night Castle) was horrible. Can the band return to their former glory? Dreams of Fireflies (On a Christmas Night) certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass

Hey Pizza!

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

GiaNXGX
November 1st 2012

Hey! I've never heard of these guys; some people have recommended me "Beethoven's Last Night" but I never checked it. Anyway, this looks bad even though I don't like to judge books by their cover. btw nice review, Pos'd

November 1st 2012

"the recorded rendition of ‘Someday’ is as enticing as blood flavoured Jello."

This is as untrue as it'll ever be, since Halloween was yesterday, man...

November 1st 2012

@ GiaNXGX: Beethoven's Last Night is really good but it personally took me a long time to get into it.

@ OmahaStylee94: True story, I'll switch "blood" out.

Koo rev bro Pos'd

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

November 1st 2012

Hey man, I was kidding around. I thought it worked fine, to be honest!

ty bro mang

@ Ohama: LOL in that case, back to blood

yahee yaheeee

Damn skippy! ;]

haha hush you

SgtPepper
November 1st 2012

I've heard a couple songs by these guys, they're okay, but I've never been a fan. Good review though.

MisterTornado
November 2nd 2012

band: "CHRISTMAS IS'A COMIN. WE NEED MORE MONEY'S"

Digging: Echo Lane Afterschool Inc. - bikes clouds cranes phones

MichaelSnoxall
November 2nd 2012

band: "CHRISTMAS IS'A COMIN. WE NEED MORE MONEY'S"

They've written three other christmas albums. I think it's just what they do.

Tyrael

20394 Comments

pizzy pos

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

Voivod
November 2nd 2012

The (metal) world needs Savatage back, not another TSO release.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

Jennifer22
November 4th 2012

Cool review, this review describes this release perfectly.

ksoflas
November 8th 2012

If,i say if, big Johnie has some trully Sava material,he should make an album for his dedicated fans,turn the lights off and slowly leave the stage...
If not he can continue to have fun with pain and trans bullshit.

EyesHalfClosed
November 27th 2012

Good review.
Enjoyed some of the stuff Night Castle, so I'm still interested to check this out.