Deftones
Saturday Night Wrist

by Mein USER (2 Reviews)
November 1st, 2012 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Killer atmosphere, gorgeous vocals and sick riffs.

The follow up to 2003's self titled album, and to say it lived up to the expectations would be an understatement.

Hole In The Earth - 5
"I hate all of my friends, they all lack taste sometimes"
Absolutely gorgeous track. Acts great as an album opener, and the best choice for a first single, as it encompasses the whole theme of SNW perfectly. The soft and mellow, yet saddening vocals are on the spot, while the guitar solo at the end releases the bottled up rage that feels as if it had been kept inside during the whole performance.

Rapture - 2.5
"Instead you just waste, waste, waste my time"
Speaking of bottled up rage, Rapture comes right after Hole In The Earth, and continues right where the first track left off. This is just a matter of personal preference, but I am not a big fan of Chino's vocals in songs such as this, hence the lower rating.

Beware - 4.5
"Beware the water"
It's unbelievable how a song about drowning someone can make you feel so calm and at peace with everything. But I guess that's been already done, with Digital Bath.
The way the whole track builds up from start to end is just stunning, and so is the instrumental at the end. Makes me a bit sad that this song wasn't released as a single.

Cherry Waves - 3
"Saw your end..."
Although I mostly love all of Deftones' chill songs, this one doesn't seem to quite do it for me. I've always thought of Cherry Waves as Beware's more unsuccessful brother.

Mein - 5
"That way I'll always stay away from you"
I just love everything about this song. The spaced-out dreamy vocals, Serj Tankian's part, the lyrics...even the video with people randomly break-dancing around the band. A lot of the fans seem to think this is one of the band's worst songs ever, and a poor choice of single because of its repetitiveness, but to me it's some of their finest, most exquisite work. The atmosphere in it is just killer.

U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start - 4.5
Or as most fans refer to it, Konami Code, is Deftones' shot at creating an atmospheric post-rock piece. And they've definitely nailed it. Again, as with most tracks on this album, it seems to fit perfectly with everything else that's going on. Deftones could easily make a full instrumental album and it would surely be worth listening to.

Xerces - 4.5
"Same haven, new new world"
Ah, Xerces; the perfect song to play as a cliche on a rainy day when you've just broken up with somebody. All jokes aside, this is simply a masterpiece when it comes to conveying the sadness and regret that the lyrics bear.

Rats!Rats!Rats! - 1.5
"Don't wanna say nothing, nothing... I just wanna say something"
One of the few songs from the band that I can honestly say I dislike completely. It just seems so half-a#%ed and rushed. The lyrics don't seem to express anything other than generic yelled-out frustration, and the guitars and drumming sound like the tasmanian devil is playing.

Pink Cellphone - 4
"All of these are variations of the basic ego gloried lie theme, in which you follow the gospel truth"
Aside from the final minute of this song, which honestly, I don't know what it's supposed to be, this is something different from any songs I've ever listened to. It's not necessarily original, but it's... just something else. Anne Hardy's voice is spot on, and combined with Chino's vocals, this makes for a weird, yet somehow great tune.

Combat - 3
"Whose side are you on?"
Somewhat similar to Rats! and Rapture, Combat makes for a slightly above average end to the more hardcore part of Saturday Night Wrist. Although not as sub-par as Rats!, it's not really something extraordinary. I must say I love the intro, though. If that intro were on a completely different song, that would have been a completely different story for me.

Kimdracula - 5
"Don't blink tonight"
In my opinion, the absolute highlight of the album, and one of the best tracks in Deftones' entire career. I have no words to describe how incredible this song is. Lyric-wise it seems to continue where Combat ended; "Whose side are you on / I really wish you'd make up your mind".
The riff at the begininng of the song is something that will surely stick with you after listening to the album, and so will the mesmerizingly beautiful vocals.
I'm glad they still play Kimdracula at some of their shows.

Riviere - 4.5
" You wait, I wait, outside"
Perfect choice to end the absolute masterpiece that is this album. The hint of mild guilt and sorrow is all around this track; and definitely not in a bad way. If there were any kind of feelings that had not been awoken by this album, then Riviere makes sure it gets to them. Simply stunning.

AVERAGE SCORE : 4.27

lol

MO

19086 Comments

tbt won't read

November 1st 2012

I couldn't disagree more here. I think this is one of their weakest efforts. My favorite track is cherry waves, which as an individual song deserves much higher than a 3.

Digging: Have a Nice Life - The Unnatural World

BlackLlama
November 1st 2012

Sorry, can't stand the Deftones.

Also, there was no fucking 'select' in the Konami code. NES Contra was UUDDLRLRBA Start.

zimbronec
November 1st 2012

I guess I have to disagree with this, cherry waves is one of the best epic songs in Deftones History and rats! rats! rats! is all Deftones signature; anyway good for the 4.5.

Youtellme

"recommended by reviewer
Deftones Koi No Yokan"

Are you fucking kidding me?

November 1st 2012

I gave the album a 4.5 because the average added up to 4.27.
And aside from Rats! and Rapture, I love everything on this album.

Koi No Yokan is a must listen, if you liked SNW. When it's released, of course.

sixdegrees
November 1st 2012

omg Cherry Waves and Combat are better than a 3. Pink Cellphone is shit.

Digging: Satomimagae - Koko

November 1st 2012

but I like Pink Cellphone... except for the nonsense rant at the end.

Youtellme
November 1st 2012

"Koi No Yokan is a must listen, if you liked SNW. When it's released, of course."

November 1st 2012

I meant in the sense that everyone seems to be saying it will be some sort of hybrid between Diamond Eyes and SNW. The cover is totally SNW-like, and so are Leathers and Poltergeist, two of the so far known songs.

KerfuffleinaHussle
November 1st 2012

"It's unbelievable how a song about drowning someone..."

Beware has nothing to do with this subject, just FYI. If memory serves I remember Chino saying it's something of a warning about addictions - to sex or drugs or alcohol or whatever.

Also, how on earth you can have Pink Cellphone rated higher than Combat and Cherry Waves is just beyond me. Also, I'd say Rats! was pretty awesome, and Mein, well, isn't.

To each his own, I guess...

breakingthefragile

"half-a#%ed and rushed'

lol what's with the wacky censorship?

Digging: Molly Drake - Molly Drake

Apollo

The best Deftones album.

The worst review of it so far. Have a neg!

4N4LB34D5
November 1st 2012

I'm sorry, but there is no way in FUCK Pink Cellphone is better than Rapture, Cherry Waves, Rats!Rats!Rats!, OR Combat. I know it's just, like, well, your opinion man, but MANNNNNN is your opinion WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Digging: Hark - Crystalline

November 1st 2012

damn... it seems I suck at reviewing.

it would really help me though, if you could state why it sucks instead of just saying it does.

oltnabrick
November 1st 2012

It's not that its bad, you just shouldn't review albums track by track.

Digging: Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - A Year With 13 Moons

KerfuffleinaHussle
November 1st 2012

Nah, it's not a really badly written review or anything...I guess you may just need to justify your
opinions a little more too, especially if you're straying so far from the mainstream consensus.

Ecnalzen
November 1st 2012

"if you could state why it sucks instead of just saying it does."

Unfortunately, this site doesn't always work like that, lol. Like brick and Kerfuffle said, drop the track by track and be more descriptive about the stuff you really like/don't like instead of talking about every single song. Especially if you are going to review an album by a band that is adored by its fan base and have very strong opinions about their material, like the Deftones.

November 1st 2012

ok. thanks for the advice !