Hammock
Departure Songs

by Timothy Michael James Eugene Stephan Wilbert Bartolini III USER (6 Reviews)
November 1st, 2012 | 168 replies | 32,756 views

I always enjoy going to a Hammock video on YouTube, or even the user opinion section on this site, and looking at the comments that people post about the music. Some of the things I read there, the ways that people react to Hammock’s music, are just flat out silly. Still, regardless of how bizarre some of the things people write about their music are, I’d be calling bullshit on you if you sat there and told me that after having heard some of Hammock’s music you were not moved in any way, shape, or form, or at least inclined to listen to more. Basically everything that they have created is outstanding; how outstanding is up for you to decide, but there is no denying that the music they create is something else, something not found from other musicians in the scene.

With a sufficient catalogue already filled with a wide spectrum of post-rock and ambient music, I was curious what Hammock would do next. Whether they would have created another ambient release such as Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow or conducted a nearly full-on post-rock record like Kenotic was beyond me. I couldn’t help but wonder, however, if the follow-up to 2010’s Chasing After Shadows... would be anything more than decent, if maybe they had finally done everything that they needed or were able to do. Well, Departure Songs is the answer. Being the band’s first double album, Departure Songs can be viewed as a bit of an experiment, though not on the same level as Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow, which was the band’s first album to include barely any trace of guitars, no lyrics, and was in fact recorded live. Departure Songs easily contains some of the band’s most beautiful pieces to date with songs such as “Dark Circles” and album closer “Tornado Warnings”. It also bears tracks like “All Is Dream and Everything Is Real” that listeners will find familiar to some of the band’s earlier songs on Raising Your Voice….

When I listened to Departure Songs from start to finish, two words immediately came to mind: love and loss. Whenever I listen to a Hammock album anyway, love is usually one of the first things that come to mind, both for the music and the thought of it in general. If there ever were one, “Together Alone” is the one song that lacks vocals and would be perfect to have a slow dance to. Despite the fact that it would be a seven minute long dance, I can’t imagine it being anything short of an undoubtedly romantic experience. The lyrics on some of the album’s more experimental tracks, such as “(Tonight) We Burn Like Stars That Never Die” and “(Let’s Kiss) While All the Stars Are Falling Down”, in combination with the music might have you temporarily thinking in a spur-of-the-moment kind of way, one that will have you calling your friends up just to see if they want to go for a drive not knowing where you might end up.

I am happy that I had the chance to listen to “Cold Front” right as the band started streaming it, because I can barely listen to it anymore. Nearly a month ago, a good friend of mine lost his life. Since then, “Cold Front” has become practically impossible for me to hear without crying. Though it starts off with a happy, welcoming ambience, it quickly changes moods and progresses into something far more saddening. Once the guitar starts sounding and the closing cello begins to ease its way into the mix, one can’t help but to temporarily feel completely alone. “Words You Said… I’ll Never Forget You Now” is similar in a way that it may cause confusion amongst listeners by having both uplifting and depressing themes. While the music on this particular track is far from depressing, the lyrics take on a theme of death or, quite possibly, suicide. Being one of the most beautiful numbers on the first disc, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this idea of mixing opposite emotions on one track. Whether it’s because of Byrd’s angelic vocals or simply because the duo has the ability to pull it off so nicely, it truly works here.

By this point, it can pretty much be understood without saying that Marc Byrd and Andrew Thompson have truly delivered another incredible addition to their already consistently amazing discography. Falling just short of perfection, Departure Songs is exactly what it needs to be: a collection of breathtaking songs, albeit a rather long collection as it stands at an hour and fifty minutes long, that will reel in some new listeners while keeping the already existing fans further dedicated. Departure Songs contains everything it needs: a new batch of magnificent highlights, a necessary consistent flow from start to finish, and a working theme to assist the flow, even though the theme is a bit melancholic. Honestly, I can’t see myself asking anything more of Hammock.

Hammock Stranded Under Endless SkyCold Mailman Heavy Hearts
Polyenso One Big Particular LoopSpider Island Dark Nova
Pestilence Doctrine

Thanntos
October 31st 2012

Sorry didn't read the review yet but this is a ridiculous album. This is everything that post-rock/ambient should be.

zxlkho
November 1st 2012

I've only listened to this once (holy shit it's fucking long) but I really enjoyed it.

insomniac15
November 1st 2012

This is one of the double albums I can just listen to in one take. It's beautiful. Good review, pos.

Digging: Chevelle - La Gargola

November 1st 2012

pretty gd music here, Pos'd on rev

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

CK
November 1st 2012

Thanks, guys. First review, so this is good to hear.

Yeah, this is a wicked long album

Keyblade
November 1st 2012

this album's awesome, but also really long. pos'd

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

GiaNXGX
November 1st 2012

nice hammock album from what i've heard, need to check out. Pos'd

THIEF
November 1st 2012

Why is this not getting more attention!

alachlahol
November 1st 2012

this is decent but its the same as their last album and doesnt hold a candle to their earlier material stop overrating things!!!!

alachlahol

do it kill, clockwork angels should be #1 of this year

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

Keyblade

~*First Hammock Album I've Heard, Listened To It Once And Loved It*~

that's right I forgot, you have to listen to their entire discography multiple times to form an opinion on this album.

November 2nd 2012

Eh, all of the songs sound samey. They all have this forcuplifting tone. It sounds silly after awhile too.

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

eternium
November 2nd 2012

Is this actually that good? I love Hammock but I've never found them to be 4.5 material.

Forcefully uplifting*

RosaParks
November 2nd 2012

thought this was incredibly boring even for the type of music it is. maybe i wasn't in the right mood

November 2nd 2012

Meh, the rest of their discog is a lot more exciting and dynamic

CK
November 2nd 2012

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Yeah, this isn't their best release, but it's still awesome in my opinion. Length and slight redundancy are the only issues I find myself experiencing while listening to this. Even so, the redundancy (mostly only present on the first disk) seems to die down after two more listens. But that brings back the issue of length... I don't really feel like listening to it two more times directly afterward, the thing is nearly two hours long!

ABjordanMM
November 6th 2012

Excited to give this a listen. Also pos.

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - Cope