This or the Apocalypse
Haunt What's Left

by Devon Benn USER (9 Reviews)
October 31st, 2012 | 17 replies | 1,227 views

Review Summary: A metalcore classic, in my opinion.

I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for giving this album a five but I really don't care. In my opinion, this was the greatest release of this generation's metalcore. Period. You're not gonna find another metalcore release from this generation that is as fantastic as this album is. First off, what I like so much about this is that it is a release from a relatively unknown band (This or the Apocalypse) from a relatively unknown label (Good Fight Records). So to see something this great from barely popular sources is amazing in itself.

Drumming: I'll start this review by talking about the drumming on this album. There is drumming on here that puts August Burns Red's Matt Greiner to shame. Believe me, that is in no way an easy feat. The album opens up with "Charmer," which has a fantastic drum roll at the beginning. The drumming on "Subverse" still includes some technical drumming but focuses more on keeping the melody of the song. Throughout the album, that is what I like the most about the drumming. He shows his chops but at the same time, is able to keep a melody. Where most drummers focus on one or the other, the drumming on this album keeps an amazing balance of both.

Guitars: The guitars on this album are just amazing. If you listen to metalcore bands that chug the entire damn song, just walk away from this. Haunt What's Left shows some fantastic shredding. The only other metalcore band I can think of that shreds as much as this band is August Burns Red. And even then, ABR focuses so much on showing how good they are at guitar that they forget to write a melody. The guitarists pull off what the drummer also pulled off, combining the technical, shredding riffs of ABR with the melody of Killswitch Engage. The bass guitar? Eh. Not really audible but like I said in another review of mine, metalcore production is gonna have inaudible bass 90% of the time.

Vocals: The vocalist is phenomenal. One of the greatest vocalists I've ever heard in this genre. His screams aren't so br00tal that you can't understand the lyrics. His screams have more of a shouting tone to it, kind of like Oli Sykes on Bring Me the Horizon's There Is A Hell album. And that's a good thing in my opinion. I'm getting tired of all these bands that wanna see how much of a br00tal tone they can add to their voice. It gets quite annoying. And this dude's screams are enough to add to the heaviness of the music, while at the same time, being just enough to let the lyrics shine through. The clean vocals are incredible. Where most metalcore nowadays is all whiny-ass, nasally pop/punk singing, this guy has a singing voice that actually sounds like a male. A deeper tone with the roughness that you can find in hard rock. Not to mention, clean vocals are not as prominent as the screams. So if you're one of the people that hates clean vocals, this should be fine for you.

Production: The production of this album is fantastic. First off, the album was executive produced by CHRIS ADLER! In case you don't know, that is the drummer from Lamb of God. Basically the greatest metal band of this era. Makes sense considering the drums are the best produced portion of this album. The drums don't sound all sampled and ridden with effects. The drums have a natural tone to it that make you feel like you're there watching the band record this album. The guitars have a real metal sound to it and not that thin tone that you'd expect from producers like Cameron Mizell and Joey Sturgis. I just wish the bass guitar would have been turned up in the mix. The vocals are well produced also but are the least astonishing when it comes to vocals. It's just nice to hear vocals that aren't watered down behind the music.

In conclusion, Haunt What's Left is an album that combines the heaviness of August Burns Red, the melodic song structure of Killswitch Engage, and the vocals of Oli Sykes' (Bring Me the Horizon) most recent material. A heavy hitter that is sure to have secured this band's place as the kings of this generation's metalcore scene. I highly suggest getting this album as soon as possible and sitting down and listening to it. Start to finish.

Recommended tracks:

The Plot In You Could You Watch Your Children BurnWoe, Is Me Genesi[s]
Issues Black DiamondsThe Last Ten Seconds of Life Warpath
Interrupting Cow GorsmotchuaThe Last Ten Seconds of Life Know Your Exits
Nick Senior (4)
This or the Apocalypse compose a surprisingly good album that is worth listening to, even for metalc...

sixdegrees
October 31st 2012

it's a good album, but nowhere near "the greatest release of this generation's metalcore"

Digging: nano.RIPE - Namida no Ochiru Sokudo

Slobo
October 31st 2012

You come across as way too much of a fanboy. A review without any criticisms is a bit monotonous. There's actually very little description here other than "x/y/z is fantastic! Way better than those other metalcore bands"

sspedding
October 31st 2012

this is a good album but not as good as you suggest. It isn't as objective as it could be.

demigod!
October 31st 2012

whats with metalcore bands and having terrible names?

Digging: Portishead - Dummy

demigod!

that too.

intotheshit

Band is hardly unknown/little-known

Acanthus
October 31st 2012

Have had this album for a long time, need to go break it out for more listens.

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

TooLateToGoBack
October 31st 2012

Revenant is totally the best track on this album.

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

wacknizzle
October 31st 2012

Album rules. The review is annoyingly fan-boyish and I lol'd at you saying LOG being the greatest modern metal band but it's still a decent review, pos'd.

Digging: Ritual Mess - Vile Art

Spec
October 31st 2012

Is this something I should listen to?

wacknizzle
October 31st 2012

Yeah it's really good Spec. It's kind of similar to ABR. I see that you're not their biggest fan but I think you might enjoy this.

JackSparrow
October 31st 2012

Would prefer to not read a description of drums/guitar/production separated but oh well. I disagree that its a classic, but Subverse and Charmer rule. Miss Grant

ikarus
October 31st 2012

The first half of this album kicks ass, second half not so much

Durrzo
October 31st 2012

It's perfectly fine for you to 5 an album and love it to death then write a review about it, but you need to try to avoid coming off a a complete fanboy. You gushed about it so much in the summery and the first few sentences that it's hard to take what you say after that seriously.

xandermander
November 1st 2012

Yeah, this album is fantastic but comparing it to the bands that you do really does TOTA a disservice.

Ending

1909 Comments

Slobo and Durrzo basically said what I have to say. It's a good metalcore release with some sweet riffs and a few neat drum beats goin' on, but I don't enjoy it quite as much as you it seems. But you're entitled to your opinion, and nobody has the right to intrude on that.

XyphynX9
November 1st 2012

Sorry that I came off kind of fanboyish lol
Just a really big fan of this album. I'm very new to this so perhaps better reviews in the future?