by Funeral USER (38 Reviews)
October 27th, 2012 | 14 replies

Review Summary: Welcome to the jungle we have death growls and over the top synths.

Progressive seems to a label slapped on almost any song that has direction or polyrhythms these days. Just about everybody wants to get their dick a little wet in the eternal pocket of progressive power, for clearly to be a progressive band means that you are pushing the very boundaries of music in of itself! While most bands let fundamentals of progressive music filter through their style, or arrangement some don’t forget the good old days of Rush and co. and play an old school style of prog jams. Kalter is a band representing the latter of the two forces. This band might remember the good old days of prog, but they did forget something very important: Gensis is not a death metal band.

Kalter attempt to deliver progressive rock via an extreme metal filter with the hope of creating a synth-frenzied spacious scene. The result is nothing short of laughable I assure you, the thundering drum work does not bode well alongside happy go lucky synths. Synth plays an important role on 'Ubuntu' being quite substantial throughout this album and often enough even the main focus in song structure. Flying around the scene- synths provide a sense of immersion on their own if not for the rest of the band standing in between. Ultimate cheese can be found here folks, ranging from happy, arcadesque, to ambience there is something to tickle any synth fancy.

While the synths are free to bounce around, the rest of the instrumentation remains generally compressed. The only time the guitar work gets to shine is when the synthesizers take on an ambient approach, receding to the background. Rather than cooperating, the synths and remaining band members tend to take turns. It may not be a problem if they interplayed and transitioned into one another but they often find themselves in quite different places. The aural atmosphere of the synths is often setup in a way where transitioning into a metal style and sound remotely fitting borderlines as an impossible challenge. The good news however is, when the guitar does get a rare time to shine it makes the most of it. The guitar work on this album is excellent especially the solos which can be breathtakingly beautiful. The riffs may be sweet, and the solos emotionally chilling, but are more often than not they are unrelated to the songs entirely.

In terms of actual direction “Ubuntu” really struggles to find its place. Judging from the commonplace nature sound samples and tribesman mask which brandishes the cover it can be assumed that this album is supposed to be about nature or something. Neither the synths nor guitar work stick strictly to this motive, as the album goes on it only tends to stray further into randomness. Kalter possess a lot of potential, but in this instance are simply stuck using a really awful concept for their album. If Kalter were to exclusively choose one genre to stick to they could truly be something great. There are times when the atmosphere can really immerse you but it always ends up breaking and songs tend to lose direction. If Kalter wants to deliver the sounds of nature in all of its glory, dramatic synths and death growls may just not be the way to go.

Sarpanitum Blessed Be My BrothersImpaled Nazarene Ugra-Karma
Black Milk No Poison No ParadiseDestroyer Streethawk: A Seduction
Sugary Sweet Machines Tours of the BleakMacha See It Another Way

October 26th 2012

I really want to love this album, the guitar work can be incredible at times and it is really fun. However it is also so overdramatic and straight up stupid that I literally end up laughing while listening to it. Song 'Tribulation' basically sums up what I mean.

Can be streamed here: http://kalter.bandcamp.com/album/ubuntu

Digging: Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness

October 27th 2012

Hey I remember these guys. Spiritual Angel was decent from what I remember...I should listen to it again to refresh my memory.

December 3rd 2012

review is shit, album rules

December 3rd 2012

Shitty interview. I personally see this album as a beautiful record. it's a shame we have shitty reviews turning people away from good music.

January 14th 2013

January 14th 2013

the only thing that's turning me away from giving this album a listen is that cover art

January 26th 2013

Don't let the cover art sway you away from checking this out! I thought that at first too, I thought "Tribal man with the band's name on his headdress and album name strung across as a wooden necklace? Probably going to suck". But then I gave it a listen and was blown away.

January 27th 2013

yea it rules hard

March 20th 2013

April 16th 2013

While well-articulated, this review strikes me as unfairly callous. Kalter's ballsy intermingling of Angra-driven synth tribalism with traditional melodic death metal slays the apoplectic demons of genre conventions. Dyed-in-the-wool true metal advocates need not apply.

Give or take a few miscreant decades, and "Ubuntu" will (probably) be hailed as the best melodic death metal album of 2012. I'll grant that that's not saying alot. But this album signifies something different, diffidently offbeat, distinctly off-the-beaten-path, and wholesomely new.

Angra does death metal and then some.

April 16th 2013

J'men calice! Bloody hell. I submit. I cannot in good conscience give this less than a 4.5. Well done, obscure melo-death fest. Well done.

Quebec, you earn my respect yet again.

April 30th 2013

i feel like you're missing how much this stuff would appeal to fans of power metal, i ain't got no problem with goofy synths

August 29th 2013

Love the positive vibes this album gives with the really cheesy lyrics like

"Strength, the power to help each other,

You are the tribe, the tribe we are !

Unity, the sense of victory,

You are the tribe, the tribe we are !"

They're pretty corny but it actually works really well and is awesome.

January 26th 2015

this review is bullshit yea album rocks