Brand New
Daisy

by fiendish USER (9 Reviews)
October 26th, 2012 | 23 replies | 1,712 views

Review Summary: What is beautiful to you?

One word comes to my mind as I’m listening to “Daisy”; the word “aesthetic”. Yeah, its obstinate hatred and its verily uncompromising manifestation doesn’t strike most as aesthetically pleasing; it’s actually known for being more akin to ugly. That’s where I think the beauty of this release lies, in its hostile outer shell. It sounds like a violent dispute between antagonist and protagonist. “Daisy’s” lyrical approach is simple yet hard-hitting; every line finds your emotional core in a way that is unsettling and on the other hand, welcomed with open arms. It’s truth in its most unforgiving and relentless form, and that is beautiful. Beautiful is the sound of a band coming to terms and ultimately growing up, ditching the glossy angst which defined their sound for the course of 3 releases. It’s beautiful in the sense that this album has an uncanny ability to make a listener feel; not just one certain emotion, but several. This LP is raw, beautiful emotion, wrapped in a package of bad temper and nights of lying on a mattress awake, consumed by insomnia. Brand New really hit a home run with this one.

Completely different from their prior releases, Brand New sound like a new band. Vocalist Jessie Lacey has dropped the poetic romanticism for no-chaser realism, and effectively so. This is kind of how I see “Vices”; a complete detachment from the past. Starting with an intentionally low volume sample of a woman singing, the band then butts in violently, throwing all the previous knowledge of poppy hooks and sugarcoated angst out of the window. Bone-dry production and aggressive instrumentation present the listener with the unfamiliar; Brand New playing something more hardcore oriented. The lyrics make this transition into realism official: “Those days are dead”. Indeed, they are.

The lyricism, as mentioned before, turned from metaphorical and angst-ridden to literal and fully grown. Don’t expect to hear lines like the “If it makes you less sad; I’ll move out of the state” or “when I disappear it is clear that I’m up to no good”. As stated before, “those days are dead”. The lyric sheets appear more closely held to Nirvana than Brand New during this LP. A myriad of lyrical themes are tackled throughout though they’re most effective when they use their cynicism. Lines like “living in a jar, think the lids the sky, you’re hoping for a savior on your cross outside” take aim at the naïve qualities of religion and other lines like “you wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you” express Lacey’s generally misanthropic feelings. This is a different lyrical style than what the fans are used to so, no doubt that when they hear the differences between this and their other releases there’s going to be some acceptance issues. No longer is there a pretty decoration on everything regarding the lyrics; these words come served raw and inexorable.

Moreover, the experimentation found on this release will definitely alienate some listeners as well as invite other eager individuals into the fan base. They’ve shifted styles on this one though you can still hear the signature facets of their sound in the nooks and crannies of it. Never would you hear any of these offerings on their other releases though. This is a band showing us the flipside of their sound; a side that doesn’t slide down the throat quite easily. Fans of post-hardcore will digest this without trouble but longtime fans of Brand New who have grown used to songs like “Luca” or “The Quiet Things…” will only take a tiny bit longer than others. The latter example will find this uncomfortable at first listen. It’s just like any garden variety experimental release; it’s not the band’s norm so you’ll have to listen to it more.

Ultimately, Brand New have challenged their fan base, and most have accepted this challenge. “Daisy” isn’t your typical Brand New album though I would say it’s one of their stronger releases emotionally. The sheer amounts of emotional hardship and tension on display with this release is astonishingly beautiful, even if it comes in an ugly package. The no frills, ugly aspect of the album ends up being the aesthetically pleasing part of it, ironically. This is beautiful to me for its struggle and its difficulty. What’s beautiful to you?

Parkway Drive AtlasDiscordance Axis The Inalienable Dreamless
Foxygen Take The Kids Off BroadwayDeftones Koi No Yokan
Desire (CAN) IIFu Manchu The Action is Go

wabbit
October 26th 2012

I'm a mountain that has been moved
I'm a river that is all dried up
I'm an ocean nothing floats on
I'm a sky that nothing wants to fly in
I'm a sun that doesn't burn hot
I'm a moon that never shows its face
I'm a mouth that doesn't smile
I'm a word that no one ever wants to say...

October 26th 2012

This is my favorite Brand New album. It's so underrated. The title track is just beautiful.

Funeralopolis
October 26th 2012

agreed also favourite brand new album

Digging: CunninLynguists - Oneirology

October 26th 2012

the lyrics on the title track are kind of bad, but its a good song. the rest are almost perfect. i wish they would experiment more with song structures though, gets boring with the same formula over and over.

Funeralopolis
October 26th 2012

yea the lyrics on this album generally blow but it doesn't matter when the atmosphere is incredible.

ThunderNeutral21

incredible

October 26th 2012

nah, i gotta say the lyrics on Bed, At the Bottom, You Stole, Bought a Bride, and Noro are pretty excellent.

October 26th 2012

^Agreed. I like how blunt they are.

blunts mmmm

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

cb123

1957 Comments

tried a few times with this album...but its hands down their worst by a fair margin

October 26th 2012

How is it possible to enjoy Your Favorite Weapon more than this?

cb123

1957 Comments

how can you not enjoy pop-punk brand new?

October 26th 2012

Because Daisy Brand New is better. Pop punk Brand New serves its place as a stepping stone to The Devil & God and Daisy.

October 26th 2012

I didn't say I didn't like them as pop punk, but it is certainly not better than the three albums they released after.

tommygun
October 26th 2012

Agreed YFW rules they all rule in different ways I'm having mad deja vu I swear this same discussion occurred like three days ago

October 26th 2012

pop punk brand new is one of the gayest things ive ever heard.

tommygun

pop punk Brand New fuckin rules 70x7 is legit top 10 BN songs

DarthMann

YFW is absolutely awful

DarthMann
October 26th 2012

"if you don't like pop punk brand new then you fail."

hahaha so much better pop punk dude come on

Youtellme
October 26th 2012

""if you don't like pop punk brand new then you fail.""

hahaha so much better pop punk dude come on(2)

Pop Punk Brand New was a stepping stone for The Devil and God And Daisy (2)

YFW is just average.