Titus Andronicus
Local Business

2.0
poor

by Martin L. USER (44 Reviews)
October 25th, 2012 | 22 replies | 1,905 views

Review Summary: Now here it goes again, here it goes again, I hear you took it to another level (x5)

Titus Andronicus, Jerseyans famous for their sloppy punk-rock and mammoth 2010 album, The Monitor, have hit their breaking point.

In my eyes, The Monitor was a failure, but their newest fails for completely different reasons. At least on The Monitor, there was so much effort, so much rhyme and reason. It was music with conclusions, with arguments to be made; so important, in fact, Patrick Stickles had to shout them through his beard. No longer is there a beard, and no longer is there any rhyme or reason. Local Business is the sound of Titus saying “Fuck it, nothing matters,” and delivering a messy pile of “impassioned” music, anyway. Local Business is not a record to take seriously, and Titus Andronicus really want you to know that. This is not The Monitor, they’re having fun, now. Everything from the cheesy piano medley in “Still Life With Hot Deuce On Silver Platter” and the atrocious lyrics to the palpable sense that Patrick Stickles really wants you to not take this record seriously end up in a contrived mess of a record that had no business being made.

“My Eating Disorder,” supposedly about lead man Patrick Stickles’ personal struggle with such, is vomit-inducingly repetitive, and its serious subject matter is downright silly when tacked up against the cheesiness of Local Business’s entirety. I understand that we’re supposed to delight in how “carefree” and “drunken” his liturgies are, but the odd re-hashing of ideas and bizarre concoction of aesthetics make me feel more like the one sober guy at a party full of drunken losers.

“Titus Andronicus vs. The Absurd Universe (3rd Round KO),” complete with a title that reminds you that they’ve really run out of ideas this time, is an unlistenable track that blends punk tropes like a pithy, oft-repeated line but spreads it too thin, and applies it onto a canvas that could have easily come from a recent Gaslight Anthem or The Hold Steady record. “(I Am The) Electric Man” succumbs to the same folly but manages to stretch the folly over a solid four minutes.

In the second half of the record, the pace slows up and there’s even more focus on the lyrics. It’s a development that is definitely for the worse. When Stickles’s rants contain the constant references of The Monitor or the earnestness of The Airing of Grievances the result is merely inappropriate. Matched against the cleaner production and lack of inventive songwriting, they’re unfitting. When the lyrics strive for a new vein of thought, i.e. the “Your dick's too short to dick the world” and “I'm a dirty bum, but I wipe my own ass,” they’re laughable at best.

This doesn’t have the claustrophobic aura of their debut, where Stickles screamed every line like it could have been his last, sincerity ringing in-between the roughness. The clean-cut production of Local Business sounds silly against its subject matter. The result is an excruciatingly awkward record in which nothing seems to fit together. I can understand the lower expectations that Local Business will surely be met with. How harshly can we judge an album with a line like “Food fight!” sung in gang vocals? Well, pretty harshly, if the execution is as mediocre as it is Titus’s latest record.

It’s a shame that the obviously verbose talent at the helm of Titus Andronicus couldn’t have been tempered with a more cohesive artistic vision; or any at all, for that matter. On closer “Tried To Quit Smoking,” Stickles drunkenly stumbles over elongated yelling about how he hates everyone as the guitar lines warble back and forth, and everything feels right just for a little. Hopefully Titus Andronicus sober up a little, and return after a hangover with a record that makes more sense.

Aidan Baker Already DrowningPity Sex Feast of Love

mindleviticus

Spot on

Rev
October 24th 2012

the review's a little ridiculous but its good too see someone less than stoked on this

October 24th 2012

Catchier than The Monitor but not nearly as good.

Cygnatti

20031 Comments

that album cover is awful

must be 2/5 or lower

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film

alachlahol
October 24th 2012

martin what the fuck are you doing?!!?

carouse
October 24th 2012

I thought maybe some discussion contrary to the public opinion would be worthwhile to add, here.

I think I understand why many people seem to enjoy this though, too.

thekingofqueen

awwwwwwwweeeeee yeah

tommygun
October 24th 2012

Never understood the hype surrounding this band.

Lucid
October 24th 2012

I like how you say The Monitor was a failure and then spend the rest of the review referring to it only positively.

Digging: Perfume Genius - Learning

WeepingBanana
October 25th 2012

yeah review is pretty much how i feel although i like it a bit more

Scoot
October 25th 2012

"Never understood the hype surrounding this band."

yep

4N4LB34D5
October 25th 2012

stickles sounds god awful on this record. i actually get annoyed listening to this

EverythingEvil2113
October 25th 2012

The Monitor is better but I think this is a lot more fun and easier to listen to on a regular basis. Great band imo.

clercqie
October 25th 2012

More than half of the people who posted in the Staff review thread are disappointed by this.

Good writeup, although I obviously disagree. I think it's not a matter of Stickles and co desperately wanting us not to take this seriously, but more so a matter of people having wrong expectations, and wanting a The Monitor pt. 2.

Yeah, they go a bit over the edge at some point, but most of the time the lyrics on here do have the depth they also had on their previous records.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Blackbelt54
October 25th 2012

Completely disagree but with this review but I respect yr opinion, I see where you're coming from

carouse

Thanks for reading.

ReadyForTheHouse
November 29th 2012

Totally agree with this review. Awful, awful record. Make me think The Monitor was a fluke.

WeepingBanana
November 30th 2012

uhh no cause the airing of grievances is just as good if not better than the monitor

Hoppip
January 14th 2013

This review is absolutely superb.