Sea of Shit / Water Torture
Diseased Audio 006

by Martin L. USER (44 Reviews)
October 23rd, 2012 | 21 replies

I approached the highly-anticipated split from Sea of Shit and Water Torture in what’s is the best possible way, in my eyes – as a familiar fan of one act and a fresh newcomer to the other. This is one of the main notions of a split anyway, isn’t it? … to introduce us to music by way of avenues we trust and anticipate. Anyway, neither the newfound nor the expected disappoints on Diseased Audio 006.

Not quite as murky and clustered as their self-titled (but then again, what is?), the first three songs are Sea of Shit attaining a little more space to breathe and filling up said space with more amped-up violence. “Black and Blue” is the perfect microcosm for the split, exhibiting the band’s ability to exude such energy and devastating riffs all the while incorporating elements that keep the music profoundly interesting like unconventional drum patterns and an organic sort of progression that dissolves perfectly into the following track.

More straightforward and unabashed, Water Torture’s side slows down the pace into a sludgy crawl at points yet maintains an exceedingly even tempo. I don’t usually take points away from splits when they’re not cohesive (this seems like an unreasonable expectation), but the remaining songs by Water Torture add a welcome pithiness to the more irregular progressions on Sea of Shit’s side.

The entirety is a powerviolence combo for the ages, exuding extraordinary levels of intensity. Besides the obvious factor that it is a split and therefore doesn’t quite attain the momentum of a more expansive work, there’s little here to hold against either Water Torture or Sea of Shit. Each side holds up their bargain exceptionally well. The powerful combination kicks considerable amounts of ass, and serves as an exemplary display of the capabilities of hardcore when taken to its filthiest extremes.