Devin Townsend Project
Ghost

by imma ride for my nigga aye *quan voice* USER (1 Reviews)
October 22nd, 2012 | 37 replies

Review Summary: "Ghost" provides a flawless amalgamation of ambient, prog, and new age. All of this with the official Devin Townsend seal of approval.

Devin Townsend has proven he's not confined to any one genre of music over the span of his professional career. This is clearly evident with releases such as "Ocean Machine", "Terria", and even his highly inconsistent ambient/drone LP's "Hummer" and "Devlab." But, to some, Devin is just living in the shadow of Strapping Young Lad. We call this certain "some" the lowest common denominator. But, who can indubitably blame this "lowest common denominator?" Their mindset and approach to music is ignorant. And ignorance is a disease that cannot be cured overnight. But, for those of us who aren't burdened with ignorance, I present to you, Ghost.

The orchestration of this album is perfect. Devin's guitar work is top-notch as usual. And Kat Epple's flute playing is pure euphoria. That goes for the ambience provided by Townsend, as well. On another note, the diversity in the instrumental department (harmonium, woodwinds, keyboards, banjo, and mandolin) provides Ghost with immense depth and an awe-inspiring atmosphere. The sounds of streams running, ocean currents hitting the shoreline, seagulls chirping, and frogs ribbiting are all very nice too. When all of the aforementioned elements come together, it creates a something more than heavenly.

On to the vocal department. Devin delivers his vocals in a very soothing fashion. His voice melds effortlessly with the music. And so do the ambrosial female vocals. Katrina Natale's vocals are perhaps one of the greatest additions to Ghost. And when the two use their vocal abilities at the same time, it's divine. A quintessential example of this is on the track "Blackberry." Townsend's and Natale's vocals blend together perfectly. This is a definite highlight on the album.

Lyrically, this album is beautiful. But, does it even matter? You'll often find yourself getting lost in all of the ambience and harmonic vocals rather than pondering as to what they're saying. The lyrical content will probably become less significant to you as the album progresses.

Ghost goes to show that Devin is anything but confined. He's no longer "That guy from Strapping Young Lad with the Skullet." And perhaps the most unfortunate part about this is that a percentage of people will never comprehend that notion. The matter of the fact is that we may never hear the likes of Strapping Young Lad again. And I've come to peace with that. Bravo, Not-so-Hevy Devy. Bravo indeed.

Z2

Epicloud

Deconstruction

Addicted
recommended by reviewer
The Devin Townsend Project Ki

October 21st 2012

This is my first review, sputs. Any advice is welcomed and wanted.

Digging: Whirr/Nothing - Split

YoYoMancuso
October 21st 2012

"let's commence with the review, shall we?"

nice review, although i'd get rid of this sentence.

Thanks. Will do.

TRMshadow
October 21st 2012

ummmm... I love HevyDevy as much as the next guy, and support your 5 rating, but this review needs a little work.
To start off, the entire this is riddled with fragment sentences and that kind of made it hard to read in my case. In addition to
that it feels like you're just repeating "Devin and Katrina sound good together" over and over again during the 3rd paragraph. It's
not terrible, and I'm sure its better than my first attempt at a review, but it needs a good go-over.

Thanks for the honesty.

October 21st 2012

Thanks for the pos and honesty.

October 21st 2012

Think the review's a tad short and you could go into a lot more detail, but for a first review this is pretty good. Keep it up, pos.

Yeah it's a bit short.

October 21st 2012

Once you start writing more and more reviews, you tend to get the knack of writing in more detail and naturally elongating your reviews.

October 21st 2012

That's only logical, though. agreed.

October 21st 2012

Funnily enough, this album was the first album I ever reviewed too. But your review tops mine haha

October 21st 2012

I'm a sucker for anything ambient too.

I would've pos'd it.

Ethics
October 21st 2012

It's a good review for a first. I'm not a huge fan of you questioning your reader so often, but if
that's your style it's cool I guess.

Don't like this paragraph at all.

"Lyrically, this album is beautiful. But, does it even matter? You'll often find yourself getting
lost in all of the ambience and harmonic vocals rather than pondering as to what they're saying. Any
opinion you have about the lyrics will quickly become arbitrary and meaningless."

That may be how you experience the album, but to other people lyrics might be just as important. I
understand the message you're trying to get across but you could have probably phrased this a bit
differently. Arbitrary and meaningless are pretty stigmatized words.

Anyways, keep it up. I pos'd the review and love this album as well.

October 21st 2012

Thanks ethics. appreciative of the honesty.
I probably wont make a habit out of questioning the reader either.

"Any
the more i look at this the more it bothers me, I'm removing it.

ChuckyTruant
October 21st 2012

Pretty good first review. But, yes it is a tad messy/all over the place. And a bit short as well. But regardless, POS

October 21st 2012

Thanks, chuck. I'll improve over time.

Thanks sonic

Wheelah
October 21st 2012

Not a bad review. I agree with it, and also that people need to get the fuck over SYL. Enjoy both sides of Dev, and stop bitching about getting SYL back together. Devin's done with that side of his music, anything he could produce in that vein would be totally unable to eclipse that and would ruin that legacy.

"Blackberry" is one of the most beautiful songs Devin's ever written, I get all warm and fuzzy when I listen to it. This album's great, but nothing else comes close to that song.

October 21st 2012

Thanks for the pos. and, of course, agreed.