The Mountain Goats
Transcendental Youth

by Channing Freeman STAFF
October 20th, 2012 | 358 replies | 17,697 views

Review Summary: We shall all be...

You like to think that you’ll have it figured out by the time you die, that surely nobody can live for so long without learning the secret or whether there even is one. You think maybe you’re missing out on some crucial parts of life because you can’t stop thinking of how it will end, but you also think that those crucial parts won’t be so crucial without knowing what they add up to. And every day you seem to get farther and farther away from the answers.

So you listen to The Mountain Goats.

You listen to the horns and the lovely vocal harmonizing, and you know the weight you feel will never lighten, but you also know that it will become easier to bear. You listen to the deep, resonant piano chords and you feel them inside of yourself more than anything, internal hammers tapping and vibrating something buried and forgotten. And the old mainstay, the acoustic guitar, is as vital as ever, or maybe even more so, every chord a pinprick into the ballooning expanse of despair, slowly draining it away and making room for warm breath and blood and touch. Mostly you just hear a little bit of darkness underneath everything that seems to contrast with the pale yellow of the moon and make it a little brighter.

What you find in Transcendental Youth aren’t answers to any big questions, but instead questions to a bunch of answers that never meant anything before but now seem exceedingly important, like what happens to lonely people when you never see them again? And what do you see in the stars if you let the dots connect themselves? These things – some of them – are things you perhaps never wanted to know, or feel like you shouldn’t know. It all seems like too much for one mind – for your mind – weighed down already by things you tell yourself are trivial but that also never let you rest. As the horns and drums and piano fade away, you think, maybe, that you know some things that you didn’t set out to know, but you know them, and anything is better than the ceaseless thinking and wondering that make up your days, even if it is just the knowledge of what it means to be hurt, and what it means to be healed.

La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus
The National Trouble Will Find MeFrank Turner Tape Deck Heart
NothingForSomething (4.5)
An achievement in pacing and cohesion above all else....

famethrowa (4.5)
With Transcendental Youth, growth proves exponential. John Darnielle has stepped up his game and cre...

MagmaWalrus (4.5)
The freshest, most well crafted Mountain Goats album in years....

RosaParks

nice review agreed

GiaNXGX
October 20th 2012

Holy shit! it's Channing Freeman.

robin
October 20th 2012

the loneliest people in the whole wide world are the ones you're never going to see again

GiaNXGX
October 20th 2012

dug the semi-conceptually entrasing approach to writing

Maniac!

he's finally completed Dark Souls on NG++++++++++

Sirob

fucking awesome album

October 20th 2012

i was just about to ask where chan had gone and out of nowhere he returns to review the new Mountain Goats. well played sir.

October 20th 2012

my god you have such a way with words. you're always able to brilliantly articulate what I love about so much of my favourite music in a way I never could.

this is perfect: "What you find in Transcendental Youth aren’t answers to any big questions, but instead questions to a bunch of answers that never meant anything before but now seem exceedingly important"

Kris.
October 20th 2012

good to see a freeman review also need to hear this so badly

someguest
October 20th 2012

I'm glad you're back Chan.

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

bungy
October 20th 2012

Read the review and instantly had to start listening to this album again

Knott-
October 20th 2012

This record is brilliant. I think it's the best Mountain Goats album I've heard. It just seems to mean more. "Night Light" is sublime.

ProjectFreak
October 20th 2012

never knew this band but i have no choice but to listen to it now, great review as always

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

Eko
October 20th 2012

thought you'd come back for titus andronicus but ok

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

October 21st 2012

"I think it's the best Mountain Goats album I've heard"

are we discounting the years 2000-2005? cause if we are then I agree.

ABjordanMM
October 21st 2012

Don't really know who this "chan" guy, but he writes dang good reviews.

Digging: Manchester Orchestra - Cope

DarthMann
October 21st 2012

a wild channing freeman appears hi

Keyblade
October 21st 2012

Well then, this is the final push to make me check out this album. Lo-fi folk isn't usually my thing, but Mount Eerie already proved me wrong this year.