As I Lay Dying
Awakened

by skeletalchemy USER (3 Reviews)
October 19th, 2012 | 26 replies | 1,787 views

Review Summary: Surrounded by fear and confusion, As I Lay Dying quietly craft a career defining opus. Not their greatest or most memorable, it simply is.

Though the partitions between each portion are less clear than ever, let us pretend for a second that As I Lay Dying's sixth studio offering 'Awakened' is an album able to stand alone from the rest of their catalog. Is this a memorable entry in the general musical canon? Debatable, though I've encountered far more vaunted offerings whose impact was far less snaring. Is it the best written collective of songs composed? Definitely not. The million dollar question in today's musical landscape is: is this worth the money it's tagged with? In that respect, I feel it is. I strongly feel this is worth the time it takes to sit through the 11 (or 13) tracks.
As I Lay Dying bring more melody to the table. And more thrash. And bigger choruses. And soaring vocals. Gang choruses. Sing alongs. The theme seems to be less of an overall awakening and more of a general alarm. If you don't get your ass out of bed the first time, just play that tune louder, faster and harder. Tim Lambesis growls, barks and roars more ferociously than ever. At the end I'm left wondering: are these guys trying to craft the world's heaviest greatest hits collection? Or is there really more to this progressively poppier, progressively thrashier, progressively sweeter metalcore onslaught?
The jury is out as to whether As I Lay Dying's pushing has gained them any ground or whether they're simply treading water. What can be concluded is that this band's sound is no longer in question. Rather than following their peers and look future forward (many of whom progressed after first copping many of AILD's own mannerisms and writing styles), AILD look back to their influences. What results may not be the most innovative or best written album but it is most definitely not to be mistaken for another band's output. This is truly who they are: thrashy yet poppy, hardcore gang vocals and metallic licks, raging blast beat drums and an ever expressive dual vocal assault. With a scene populated with acts struggling to find their place, As I Lay Dying stands out by retreating into themselves.

3.2
good
  • Jesse Knight (3)
    As I Lay Dying has always held its own in the metalcore scene...

Ben Kuettel (2)
    Despite a few high points early on, As I Lay Dying can’t save Awakened from sounding lik...

Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (3)
    As I Lay Dying put out their weakest album since their debut and ruin all of the progress ...

Attis (4.5)
    Can't we just let ourselves forget what you've just told us? Can't we just let ourselves f...

• Deuce8311 (3.5)
    A slow progression throughout the years comes to a halt, but still leads us to another gre...

J. Ponton EMERITUS (2.5)
    Well, it's consistent....

Ecnalzen
October 19th 2012

You might want to double space between your paragraphs. It looks kind of jumbled all together like this.

TooLateToGoBack

wall-o-text

Digging: Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

sixdegrees

listen to Zao instead.

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

Listen to Botch instead.

Listen to Shadows Fall instead

October 19th 2012

Listen to Misery Signals instead.

October 19th 2012

Listen to Coalesce instead.

October 19th 2012

Listen to Earth Crisis instead.

October 19th 2012

Listen to Integrity instead.

sixdegrees

agreed.

agreed.

TheMoreira
October 19th 2012

Listen to AILD's previous stuff instead...?

TheMoreira
October 19th 2012

Also, @ reviewer, Welcome to the site and good luck.
If you dont mind, i believe you should have put more emphasis on the technical/structural aspects of the album. You spent most of the time putting things in perspective, which also ended up making you repeat yourself imo. Other than that i believe i see what you were going for. Keep it up

intotheshit
October 20th 2012

"Surrounded by fear and confusion, As I Lay Dying quietly craft a career defining opus. Not their greatest or most memorable, it simply is."

WTF does that even mean? Holy contradictions, Batman!

yeah
wait

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

October 20th 2012

"Surrounded by fear and confusion, As I Lay Dying quietly craft a career defining opus. Not their greatest or most memorable, it simply is.·

LMFAO

October 20th 2012

Didn't your mama tell ya not to end a sentence with is?

skeletalchemy
October 20th 2012

Before anyone gives pointers, tips or helpful bits of advice, they should probably understand what the hell they themselves are about to criticize. Ass backwards, no?
The magnum opus can be defined as the greatest or most significant work a band is able to produce. An opus is simply one of a collection.
Magnum means greatest.
With that out of the way, how is it so incredibly hard to understand that this is a career defining album? They decided on their sound. Which they seemed confused on. For a long ass time.
I think that alone makes this an important album.
And the best part? None of you has to agree with my opinion for that to hold weight.
From this past month, this particular album seems to be very polarizing.
And it STILL has more emotional tenure than Anberlin's Vital.
Fuck you very much and happy halloween!

FearThyEvil
October 20th 2012

Is this even worth trying?

skeletalchemy

@GiaNXGX
Though I appreciate straight edge preaching (thanks Earth Crisis), for future reference you might want to recommend something a little more current. I do appreciate many of the bands you've listed. But aside from Misery Signals, none of those acts have done anything significant in the last 6 years. Live matters, whether anyone on sputnik thinks so or not.