Zao
Parade of Chaos

by mrend55 USER (3 Reviews)
October 19th, 2012 | 48 replies | 2,640 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Better then your everyday Metalcore album.

Metalcore fits the shoes of many bands, some completely different from other bands labelled under the same style. Raging from melodic metalcore bands such as Killswitch Engage, to over the top heavy bands such as Converge. Zao have their own style to their name.

This album is nothing like the Zao you would have heard in their early albums, or "Liberate Te Ex Inferis." This album is something different. On the first listen to this album some of the songs just seem to be another metalcore song. But some of the songs are not just another metalcore song, they are something unique. The music on the album is what you would expect from a metalcore band. There is more of a hard-core sound on this album in most of the songs which is a good and bad thing. It’s a good thing because it sounds nice. The bad thing is some of the more hard-core riffs do not go good next to Daniel Weyandt vocals. The music could also be beautiful melodic at time (Listen to "Angel without wings.")

The drums on this album are good. But nothing breathtaking. Same with the bass, it’s just there. The guitars are the main point of the albums, playing a nice mix of metal and hard-core riffs. Even some blues/hard rock like sounding solo's. Overall in the music side this album is good. Not amazing, but good never the less.

The vocals on this album are heavy. That’s the only way I can explain his growls, which are used though the whole album. The cleans on the other hand are okay. Not amazing cleans but they still work with what’s been played. Overall in the Vocal side the album is great. His Growls too much of a good thing? Not on this album.

The experimental nurture of the band is shown in songs such as "Man in the Womb" and "The Ballad of Buddy Bigsby." The first of which is a great song, a refreshing change from heaviness. What makes it great is its only one song on the album like it, making it something unique. "The Ballad of Buddy Bigsby" Is nothing more than what it sounds like, filler.

Overall this is a great album with nothing clearly bad about it. Songs like "Angel without wings"; "Free the three" and "Suspend/Suspension" are the stand out tracks on the album to me.

October 19th 2012

Yeah, i agree with that, my Favorite will always be Liberate Te Ex Inferis but, no album made me feel the way that album did, it will chilling and just, heavy.

October 19th 2012

That was a great album, i really need to listen to it again. Have not listen to it in awhile.

heyadam
October 19th 2012

Blood and Fire and The Funeral of God for sure are my favorites.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Hospital

2024 Comments

love angel without wings

Digging: Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

bassasaurus
October 19th 2012

When self titled came out, it was a pivotal change for me in hard core. I've envied this band through their long history and constantly shifting line up. I owe much to Zao.

Hospital

2024 Comments

so much you made an account just to post here? ; )

Funeralopolis
October 19th 2012

this review hurts to read.

Digging: RATKING - So It Goes

asaf
October 19th 2012

with new WFAHM, Danza, and all sorts of other shit poppin' out, seems like a waste to spring this up just for a three... oh Sputnik is turning into a daycare...

ianjulian

on the album to me.

October 19th 2012

"this review hurts to read.

every time you make a point you have to reiterate it right after in a 'i dunno' kind of tone, fuck off."

Funeralopolis i see what you mean, i'll try improve on that.

someguest

20285 Comments

tell me what is an 'everyday metalcore album'

Digging: Your Old Droog - Your Old Droog

October 20th 2012

killswitch engage 2009 self-titled album, Most of The Bleds work after their First album, and albums by bands such us Bring Me the Horizon and Parkway drive. They are what i would call everyday metalcore albums.

someguest

20285 Comments

so something you'd listen to everyday because it's so good?

October 20th 2012

By everyday i meant really genetic metalcore.

ChuckyTruant
October 20th 2012

I don't believe I've ever heard a genetic metalcore album, please explain!

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

JokineAugustus
October 20th 2012

About time someone reviewed this. Liberate and Funeral of God are the best, with WBAFBR being 3rd for me.

Digging: The Chariot - One Wing

October 20th 2012

Why to you spell hardcore as 'hard-core,' but then always spell metalcore without the hyphen? Also, review is terrible, neg.

October 20th 2012

Tell me what so terrible about it? I don't believe you can neg it and not tell me which parts to improve on. I was going to bitch about your music taste, but a lot of the albums that you have gave 5's too are albums i love so i can not do that sadly.

October 20th 2012

I was going to bitch about your music taste

Guy says your review is badly written, your first response is to say he doesn't like good music.

MAKES SENSE, BRO

October 20th 2012

And it's bad because you're like, "the drums are good, but nothing special. The vox are heavy. The bass is there, cool. The guitars are very guitar-esque in the way they are used because they're guitars. I'm not fond of the cleans. Yeah, lots of metalcore is the same but this isn't. Yeah"

IT'S LIKE, FUCK, GO INTO SOME DEPTH OR SOMETHING.