Wintersun
Time I

by bcasey25raptor USER (1 Reviews)
October 18th, 2012 | 26 replies

Review Summary: Although not the same as the self titled masterpiece, Time I is a masterpiece in it's own right showcasing fantastic production values and very well written lyrics and instrumentals. Talent is forecast exclusively in this epic tale of Time.

I'll be Honest, in 2009 I was an impressionable teenager, I used to listen to such music as green day, The offspring, and other assorted bubble gum pop punk and rock. In September I was Sent on a musical journey when a friend of mine recommended I try Wintersun. I did so and it struck a cord with me, after which I tried to find as many metal bands as i could and expand my metal taste as far as I could, I was free, It was great to be alive.

However though this was 2009 I had a lot of metal and angst to show and i love heavy metal for these reasons. Since then I have grown a lot more attracted to symphonic and classical music. Back in July of 2012 I heard Time was finally going to be released, for personal reasons I was excited. I paid attention to all the news being reported about Wintersun.

When I finally heard it I was very very impressed with the album. Although no s/t album it was still ground breaking in it's execution. Though some fans have been painstakingly waiting for this for around 8 years I've merely been in the game since 2009, my expectations weren't high as much as they were excited to hear new wintersun. I was blown away and in tears when I heard sons of winter and stars. The album is not as riff and guitar centric like the self titled was yet it makes up for it in it's symphonic and melodic Japanese folk influences. Being a fan of Japanese anime I knew full well what Japanese melodies were, I was terrified they would be executed badly on this album. They were executed very well.

When you start the album you hear Japanese influences very prevalent, it's a beautiful introduction track which fades very nicely into sons of winter and stars. Sons of winter and stars is split into multiple parts (a lot like Jesus of suburbia in American Idiot was). You could almost say it's Multiple songs in one. The ending chorus and singing along with the very very well produced symphonic pieces and instrumentals make this song an exquisite piece of beauty. When it ends we are thrust into my favorite track on the album, a slower song titled Land of snow and sorrow. Though slower it is much more melodic and gives you the feeling of atmosphere rarely seen in music. This may have a lot to do with the fact I listened to it whilst standing by a cliff looking east toward the Atlantic Ocean. The final piece of the album is darkness and frost which is an intro to Time.
Time is to me the weakest track on the album, although still a fantastic artistic masterpiece it is merely less of importance then the other two epic songs of the album.
You can tell that it ends abruptly that they weren't originally planning to divide the album in 2.

If you go into this album not expecting Wintersun, if you empty your mind and let your spirit and soul go you too can embrace the stars.

Wintersun

zxlkho
October 17th 2012

jesus christ I've never seen such hype for an okay album

afergusonart
October 17th 2012

what a coincidence i said the same thing about swans

sweeet another review

Jacquibim
October 17th 2012

Dammit, I wanted to be the first to review this.

brb, necking myself.

Digging: We Will Fail - Verstrung

bcasey25raptor
October 17th 2012

I appreciate you guys reading my review. I understand it needs a bit of work. I had written a better one and clicked submit, however the page timed out so I lost all my work. This was a second attempt and it was rather rushed.

I forgot to mention in the review that the s/t to me wasn't that great. It was mostly a gateway drug.

It was good but nowhere near perfection. I prefer time personally to the s/t. Shoot me now.

Jacquibim
October 17th 2012

Review wasn't bad for a first, I pos'd.

Didn't you have the original one saved somewhere?

bcasey25raptor
October 17th 2012

I didn't think it would time out so I hadn't backed it up

Love the fluttershy avatars btw.

Yazz_Flute
October 17th 2012

This has grown on me with repeated listens. Not enough WIIIINTARRR but it's really enjoyable. It's like a frostier Blind Guardian.

Digging: Battles - Mirrored

Ssssssss
October 18th 2012

Am I the only one that imagines myself playing dynasty warriors while listening to When Time Fades Away and having the best time of my life? Probably

StarlessAnd

fuck off

Spec

don't

zxlkho
October 18th 2012

over/under: 6 reviews by the end of next week.

MO

well written album

review not so much

sonofman7
October 18th 2012

I've heard ALOT about this Jari guy, but I'm kinda turned off by that power metal label. I f'in HATE power metal. Is that the real sound of this band, cuz I wanna check them out man.

sonofman7

* crosses fingers * >___

ViralOblivion
October 18th 2012

oh yay another review with the first paragraph talking about the good ol days

ffs

maybe you will in time

ffs

lol

gay dig sup

October 19th 2012

oblivion hunter rules and so does everthing lightning bolt faget

karl sanders is a chode and lives in a cabin deep in his mind